INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Urbanmom519

Urbanmom519 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2013
    NW Indiana

thanks for the info, I do have one who acts like a roo of that's possible, seems a little more independent than the others, and is feathering faster, only two weeks old though, I'll have to look cocci up to check warning signs!!! :)

2. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana
    If anyone is wanting Meyer chicks, it looks like they had a great hatch this morning. Lots of different breeds available this morning that were sold out on Friday.

1 person likes this.
  3. Little Ameraucana Mom

Little Ameraucana Mom Need Help, Can't stop hatching!!!

Jul 8, 2008
    Greencastle, In
    I'm more then an hour from Lebanon. and not sure when I'll have time to get away for half a day, so I'll have to pass, but I' sure someone else can use it. Thank You for the offer.

4. Old Salt 1945

Old Salt 1945 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    Running incubators with solar, windmills, and fairy dust can be challenging.

John

5. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana

6. Old Salt 1945

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    Using your best damsel in distress voice, call the police/sheriff in your area and explain your problem. Ask them if anyone in your area knows chickens and would be willing to do the deed for you.

John

1 person likes this.
  7. Old Salt 1945

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    Wrong! I have no idea what a broomstick method is.

I hold the chicken by the feet, put my foot on its head and pull hard until I feel the neck break. That makes the chicken limp. I then hold it on a stump or something and chop off the head with a hatchet so it will bleed out. Then drop it in the grass and wait for it to become still.

If you are not processing the meat, there is no need to remove the head.

John

8. Old Salt 1945

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    Not a coral snake.

Old saying:

"Red and Black,
    Friend of Jack,
    Red and Yellow,
    Kill a fellow."

John

2 people like this.
  9. Lora Indy

Lora Indy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2012
    Boy, this thread moves fast!

I thought I saw someone looking for EEs in lay but I can't find the post [​IMG]

I have 7 pullets from Meyers, Jan 28th hatch this year.
    They are too aggressive for my flock of BO and silkies.

If somebody wants them they are free, otherwise they go in the freezer next week.

Also have a well mannered cockrel, 13 weeks old. He is very large fowel EE X silkie. He has all the silkie bits, five toes,feathered legs,black skin,blue ears,walnut comb and growing an interesting crest but has regular feathers. He is practicing his dance routine for the ladies and tidbitting with pebbles. He is also into crowing contests with his brother.

If anyone would like them please drop me a pm. I am in Marion county,far south east side, could meet someone if needed
    Lora

10. Old Salt 1945

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    I keep hearing about people trying to get their chickens to go in the coop when it rains.

It never occurred to me to try to enforce a "no wet chickens" rule. If they like it inside, they will go inside. If they like it outside, they will stay outside.

Chicks are another matter. If they don't have a mother to protect them, they are goners.

John

Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by