INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

I don't have a great picture here - I can try to get a better one later. She is a Wheaten color (I think?) and has some kind of tufts around her head. She was a freebie and the guy that gave her to me said she was Ameraucana, but I don't know where he got her from or how sure he was. I'll try to snap a better pic later today. Wouldn't sticking a couple of the aggressive EEs into a more established flock help bump them down the pecking order a bit? Would getting a rooster help? I'm not anti-rooster, my biggest hesitation is that I have neighbors not too far away and don't want my animals to be a nuisance to THEM (and slightly to my super light-sleeper self).

I sent a PM to Lora Indy saying I would take them all and share with you whatever you want. Is that OK?

Also, I would like the igloo, if you haven't already promised it to someone.

John

I sent a PM to Lora Indy saying I would take them all and share with you whatever you want. Is that OK?

Also, I would like the igloo, if you haven't already promised it to someone.

John

Sounds fantastic :) It is yours. Are you also taking the Rooster or should I talk to Lora Indy about him? I probably want to try to take 2 of the hens and maybe the roo.

I guess that I should have worn a nametag. I was at the show and loved it (Including changing a couple of breeds I thought I would like with a couple Breeds I DO like!) but all the people I talked with had no idea there was an Indiana chicken thread on backyard chickens. Some didn't know what backyard chickens was!!!

Although I still want more and better Delawares (the two pullets at the show seemed huge to me however and if they are suppose to be that big I DON'T want any more) and some Dominiques, my new list of wants is short:

Wheaten or Birchen Marans

Birchen, Brown Red or Red Pyle Modern Game (how convenient that I met a man named Chris that has Brown Reds now and Birchen possibly in a while!!!)

Belgian D'Anvers of any color!!!

My brother is in love with Snowy and Butterscotch Call ducks. I like them too!

And we both liked the African Geese!!

So now I go in search of breeders and start talking!!!!

Can't wait for the Boone County show as someone said it is much bigger!!

We have a Delaware and a Dominique and love them both.
Our Delaware was bossy, and nosey as a chick and turned out to be a beautiful, mild-mannered pullet. I was surprised how big she is--she's about the size of our Barred Rock.
Our Dominique was one of the smallest chicks, and now, as a pullet, is the same size as our bantam Orpington. The Dominique is such a talker...she's the first to run to the fence and ask W--H--A--A--T did I bring her.
Both are really great girls, and I can understand why they'd be on your list.
love.gif

I guess that I should have worn a nametag. I was at the show and loved it (Including changing a couple of breeds I thought I would like with a couple Breeds I DO like!) but all the people I talked with had no idea there was an Indiana chicken thread on backyard chickens. Some didn't know what backyard chickens was!!!

Although I still want more and better Delawares (the two pullets at the show seemed huge to me however and if they are suppose to be that big I DON'T want any more) and some Dominiques, my new list of wants is short:

Wheaten or Birchen Marans

Birchen, Brown Red or Red Pyle Modern Game (how convenient that I met a man named Chris that has Brown Reds now and Birchen possibly in a while!!!)

Belgian D'Anvers of any color!!!

My brother is in love with Snowy and Butterscotch Call ducks. I like them too!

And we both liked the African Geese!!

So now I go in search of breeders and start talking!!!!

Can't wait for the Boone County show as someone said it is much bigger!!
I have some birchen marans chicks available right now. I also have some red brown modern game bantams coming that are a couple months old. I will likely have a extra cockerel or two available if you are interested in bantams. Next year ill have eggs and chicks.

Last edited:
Ugh behind again! Got home from my trip last night to a sick calf :/ figures! Anyway someone had asked over the weekend about a virtual tour de coops so I took some pics this am. Oh and I got to meet Darthlayer this weekend and brought home some pretty EEs ill get pics later :)

We converted an old mini barn that was on the property to the coop and enclosed the area the former owner had used as a feeding/holding area for cattle.
gezudy5y.jpg

We still have one more wall to put up to make a second pen in front of this one.
uvy5u9ad.jpg

Laying boxes ill probably need another row come spring.
u9uvuqan.jpg

First time one seen this! Figures the boxes were full today I got 1 egg on the roost yesterday and I had been getting 9-11 a day!!
me8e4a8e.jpg

Chickie :)
gase5e7y.jpg

And the cows ;)
ba8usate.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

my chickens love rain they never go inside when it rains. And man do they look ugly when they are wet!

Yes I've seen that, the ugly chickens. Sure look funny when they are wet!
I keep hearing about people trying to get their chickens to go in the coop when it rains.

It never occurred to me to try to enforce a "no wet chickens" rule. If they like it inside, they will go inside. If they like it outside, they will stay outside.

Chicks are another matter. If they don't have a mother to protect them, they are goners.

John
Yes one of those who wonder was me. I didn't know if my chickens just didn't know to go in the coop, or that they don't care. Still learning, over here, in spite of all the moon beams. Mostly I was wondering if they will go in the coop when it's winter.

my russian orloff has gotten worse. Another chicken with a torn tendon. I just went through this with my SF a few months ago. i need to cull her. i do not habe the money to uthanize her, and i watched some youtube videos on how to kill chickens and seeing them flailing sround and all i just cant bringyself to do it. I know dhe us in pain though, i think it is something i am just going to have to try and get used to. I am sure i eill bawl my eyes out, but it is better than her being in pain. I know she usny going to get any better, she has not improved at all. I just font want to have to do it.
I'm really sorry. I know how hard it is. I broke down and had my lil roo euthanized but if it happened again I couldn't afford to go back to the vet either. I had read something about gassing with baking soda and peroxide. I don't know details but it was on BYC. I'm sorry :(

I have some birchen marans chicks available right now. I also have some red brown modern game bantams coming that are a couple months old. I will likely have a extra cockerel or two available if you are interested in bantams. Next year ill have eggs and chicks.

I'd be interested in a Maran or two, and I think you said somewhere, that you had a Swedish flower hen pullet?

Oh my goodness you guys!! I cannot keep up. There are like 10 different subjects being discussed lol! I'm not going to try to respond to the last two days on here.

I am however going to update the Chick hatching progress.

It is day 6. She is still sitting like a professional that has done this before. In the mornings I get her up and set her on the barn floor or out in the grass for 5 minutes or so, to get that nasty broody poo out and eat some breakfast. She eats a little and does her business and goes right back to her nest. In the evening I get her up or another 5 minutes to repeat the process. I don't think she is getting up to eat on her own, so the 10 minutes a day I take her out, she is at least eating something.

I candled the eggs for the first time today while she ate dinner. Man, I am so confused. It wasn't quite dark enough I don't think, where I was candling. Two of the eggs appeared clear to me so I put a penciled question mark on them. I saw 2 distinct embryos moving on two others so those got a check mark. The other 8 are iffy. They all looked like the ones I saw the movement in, with a large dark area, and the air sack, but I couldn't see well enough to find the dark spot to see for movement. So I put them all back into the nest and I will try again in a week.

I have a dozen bearded silkie eggs in the silkie coop too, if anyone is interested in them. Otherwise I may incubate. I don't want to waste them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom