1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana
    I can see someone getting upset after being told that their chicken was hatchery mislabeled. It just does not feel good. I remember when I found out my production RIR were not the breed from way back when. That they would not get big or dark. That the roos would be super mean. Ohh the thoughts that went through my mind. After a while I calmed down and re read the hatchery description. They were using the word production so the fault landed on me. The chickens still gave me eggs and all was well once i got me my HRIR.
    If my Amera.... chicks turn out to be EE, I'll learn more and move on. It happens. But that first time, is very upsetting and bubble bursting. I compare it to losing the belief of Santa and the tooth fairy. But I held on to my Santa for much longer than most.

I would not be surprised if they triedto contact you later to find out how to get real Amera...chicks.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  2. vickichicki

vickichicki Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2012
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    So it would happen to be a night my DH does not have his gun... Ugh.
    It got into a fully enclosed with chain link pen, I can only assume it got through the gap on the gate, although the gap is really small.

I managed to grab all but three chickens, which I could not find and cram them into my shed while DH pinned the raccoon into the corner. We tried to get it through the darn gate but it was having none of it. Hate to say but it ended up badly for the raccoon. With only a shovel on hand, it was not pretty but he managed to make it quick.
    Chickens were all good, obviously timed out perfect, I had just opened the back door to let the dogs out not 10 seconds later I hear them all going crazy.
    Will inspect everyone in the daylight just to make sure.

Too close me thinks.

DH is kicking himself for having to kill the raccoon for doing what it does naturally. Also giving himself a hard time for not building a fortress (although I thought out of the three coops that one was the most secure.. Guess not).

As it was defiantly not a full sized coon, but big enough to be alone makes me think (or this is what I am telling myself) it would not have been able to kill, but then again... It was in there for something.

Going to be super vigilant and work on the gaps I guess.

Feeling very lucky.

3. SallyinIndiana

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana
    I'm glad it is gone. too bad it was not pretty, someone might have made your DH a hat.

4. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    So speaking of EE and ameracauna chicks... What do you guys think of the ones Meyer hatchery has listed as ameracauna? They are $18-$20 per chick as opposed to the EEs that they have for four bucks. Real deal or no?

5. julie0477

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    Glad your girls are ok Vicki - sorry you had to kill it that never feels good. It most likely was not in there just to visit though sounds like you made it just in time.

6. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    I am sure it is not, fun. I went through it once but it was really not a big deal to me. I think the guy was just mad a tme because i corrected him

7. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    they are way over priced. Most breeders dont charge that much (keep in mind most). And hatchery chickens are exteremly low qualitiy and breeders arent. Higher quality chicks for less money. In my eyes it is a rip off.And I have heard tons of complaints about meyers "pure" blue AMs. Someone ordered some and they got all white AMs. they dont even carry white AMs! All seems fishy to me.

8. SallyinIndiana

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana
    I was using their price as a guide when I got my chicks and listed the extras on CL. But to be fair I paid much less for my HRIR chicks. Meyer has great customer service and if you can get on their 2014 waiting list for them, I'm sure they would make it right with you if you were not satisfied.

9. SallyinIndiana

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana

Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  10. julie0477

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    They have a waiting list? I'm waiting on my necropsy results to make sure I don't have anything crazy going on with my flock and then if all that's clear I'm making my spring chick list. Cochins, ameracaunas, more buff brahmas? And about ten more im considering lol I really need to narrow it down. And dang it now I want bees :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by