INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. vickichicki

vickichicki Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2012
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    For everyone remembering me wanting the Cochins, thanking you. Danand pm'd me with the link. Going to call them today. We head to Spencer once a week so maybe this can work out.

Excited :weee

2. vickichicki

vickichicki Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2012
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Congrats on the new layer Pip. Still get excited when I know I have a new egg among the nest.

3. Old Salt 1945

Old Salt 1945 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    Not in your house. Stinky. Hen will keep chicks warm.
    1. No. 2. Leave her where she is. 3. Yes. 4. Huh? 5 Barn.

I could see you were excited when you posted this 8 times. [​IMG]

John

4. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana
    Not in the house, the smell is overwhelming.
    it is best to try and set up a corner of the coop where she is used to staying. You can use chicken wire and make a wall and top with only two medium sections if you set aside a triangle space in the corner.
    Any moving of her and her nest should be done after dark to avoid upsetting her.
    Sure she can do it but will she want to? She might give up after a while but if you are using barnyard eggs and only give her 6 your out what $2.
    I can see not being able to set up a new coop but sectioning off on corner should only cause you a loss of 2 sq ft in the coop. You can do it.
    The hen will keep those chicks warm as long as she thinks they are healthy.

5. Webechickens

Webechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2013
    East Central Indiana
    Welcome! I'm not far from you. Modoc, IN

6. MillerBirds

MillerBirds Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2013
    Indiana
    Hi everyone, hope you are all well. Things are good for us; just busy homeschooling and living life. :)
    Anyways, I have a beautiful Blue Ameraucana Rooster who is looking for a new home. He is great with us, but a little too aggressive to our other bantam roosters.
    Was wanting to breed him with my Blue Ameraucana hens, but unfortunately not. Selling him for $20. Will post pictures in a bit.
    Please text if interested 765.532.2706

Thank you

7. PeacefulWalls

PeacefulWalls Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2013
    Goshen, Indiana
    Thought I'd post more photos of the mixed chicks I got from Brad at the end of June. When I posted photos 7 weeks ago, most of us were thinking this first chick (lemon cuckoo/lavender mix) was looking like a roo. I haven't heard a single attempt at crowing from any of them yet (now 14 weeks) and I think it's looking pretty pullet-like now. What do you all think? Did I totally luck out & get 4 pullets from my random picking of chicks? [​IMG]

lemon cuckoo/lavender orpington mix
    at 7 weeks
    [​IMG]
    now at 14 weeks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

earlier: chicks at 7 weeks
    [​IMG]

now: chicks at 14 weeks
    lavender orpington/speckled Sussex mix
    [​IMG]

Buff/lemon cuckoo orpington mix
    [​IMG]

lavender orpington
    [​IMG]

8. PeacefulWalls

PeacefulWalls Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2013
    Goshen, Indiana
    Got a couple pics of Benji's Ancona ducks -- they're about 16 weeks old now. Does anyone know when we should start expecting eggs? I'm guessing we have quite a few weeks yet, but want to be prepared.

[​IMG]

Since we're new to ducks, I'm assuming the duck in front is a drake? I see a curling tail feather -- is it a true curl at this age? We're not sure yet how many drakes are in the batch.
    [​IMG]

Thought I'd post pics of our girls roosting. Yes, we built a nice, spacious roost for them, but this is how they prefer to sleep!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One of our Easter Eggers -- I really think they look like hawks!
    [​IMG]

9. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana
    my barn cat got a rabbit. Is it common for cats to try and get rabbits?

10. racinchickins

racinchickins Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2013
    Mooresville IN
    I think the others gave you great advice to try to just section off a part of the coop for her to sit on the eggs. Make sure she has food and water accessible, as she will leave the nest once a day to eat, drink, and drop the biggest, smelliest chicken poop you have ever seen. You may not even need to section it off if you can keep the other hens from laying in her new nest. If you try that, I would mark any eggs you put under her so that you can separate out any new eggs others try to add.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by