INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. gunchief25

gunchief25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2013
    Solsberry, Indiana
    I bet that is fun to watch.

2. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom Chicken Obsessed

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong here but... Corid is for cocci not for colds/respiratory issues.

Corid is a very harsh, strong drug and can cause side effects that you won't want to deal with unless absolutely necessary to use it. I'd use it in a desperate cocci situation, but I would be very hesitant to use it otherwise.

Just a heads-up.

1 person likes this.
  3. pipdzipdnreadytogo

pipdzipdnreadytogo Dorking Queen Premium Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop
    I would need a clearer picture to confirm this, but it looks like the lemon cuckoo/lavender mix has pointed saddle feathers, which means no doubt that he's a boy. The lavender Orpington looks like a cockerel as well, but the other two are pullets.
    That is without a doubt a rooster. He doesn't even look like a pure Rhode Island red, not even heritage if I'm seeing correctly. He should be dark red overall, not black with red in his hackle, saddle, and shoulder feathers, correct? :confused:
    You are correct. Corid only treats coccidiosis and will do nothing for 'colds'. You have Corid confused with Sulmet, though. Corid is gentle while Sulmet is harsh, and usually Sulmet is recommended for use only if Corid has failed to cure coccidiosis. Also, folks, there is no such thing as a cold in chickens. Respiratory symptoms similar to what humans experience when we have colds could be all sorts of issues in chickens, but usually means they have a respiratory infection or respiratory disease. If it's just sneezing, it could even just be dust in their environment. Here is a thread with some information and links on the subject of chicken 'colds': https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/113931/chicken-got-a-cold-added-info-ms-mg-ilt-crd-npip

1 person likes this.
  4. PeacefulWalls

PeacefulWalls Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2013
    Goshen, Indiana
    The lavender orp has been really slow with the feathers coming in -- it's still really hard to tell just what it is yet. Here are a couple of other pics -- sorry, still not the greatest quality. Does the body shape indicate anything? I'm not seeing the type of feathers our adult roo has at all and this one's body is shaped just like our pullets. I forget when our roos started practicing their crows -- wouldn't that have happened by 14 weeks? (Can you tell I'm really hoping this is a pullet?!)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana
    I have roosters that are almost 6 months old and only 1 of them is crowing and not very often.

6. pginsber

pginsber Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    How old are they typically when they start to crow?

7. DarthLayer

DarthLayer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2013
    Indiana
    I find it coincidental how we are talking about roosters crowing because my 6 week old chick crowed this morning! It sounded terrible, but I gave him an A for effort.

8. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana

1 person likes this.
  9. Old Salt 1945

Old Salt 1945 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    Same in my chicken yard. The dominant rooster crows. The rest keep their beaks shut, if they know what's good for them.

We post so much that even the web counter can't keep up with us.

post #14579 of 14578

John

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  10. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    Sooooo.... My buff brahma rooster that I've had for a few years now seems to have a monogamous relationship with my six month old buff orp. They are pretty cute :). Has anybody ever hatched a cross of the two?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by