INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    Mine died before i was able to do anything, but I would of culled it.

2. bradselig

bradselig Overrun With Chickens

Apr 29, 2012
    Warren, IN
    I've yet to find a dealer selling it yet. Id love to read the bag and actually see what is in it that prevent mites. I can't find anything on their website.

3. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    I have it in the basement.... I'll go look. I keep meaning to do it anyway. Are you looking for the link to the coupon? Or the ingredients? I bet all ingredients aren't listed since its a newly patentened blend of something or other....

4. bradselig

bradselig Overrun With Chickens

Apr 29, 2012
    Warren, IN
    I'm looking for the ingredients. I'm curious to see if its a chemical, herb, ect that is supposed to prevent mites.

5. julie0477

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    Brad - I found the ingredients. Lots of grain, vitamins, probiotics, fermented stuff. The only thing that stuck out was yucca schidigera extract. I googled that and it is used for pest control on animals and is also approved for human consumption .... so my eggs aren't poisoned. Yay. ;) I think it's usually used topically like in shampoos so I'm interested to see what effect if any it has on my roo.

6. Old Salt 1945

Old Salt 1945 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    Add a teaspoon of bleach to the water. It will sterilize it. Be sure to air dry it for a day or so, leaving no trace of bleach smell.

John

1 person likes this.
  7. pipdzipdnreadytogo

pipdzipdnreadytogo Dorking Queen Premium Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop
    I zoomed one of the pictures in. See the shiny / pointy saddle feathers here? I think this is a boy. [​IMG]
    That depends on the breed and the number of rival roosters. My Easter-egger bantam boy started crowing at 21 days old. Yes, days. On the other hand, another Easter-egger boy I have was in a pen with a more dominant rooster and I don't think he ever crowed until he was easily 5 months old. I have heard of some of the slower-maturing breeds waiting until 9 months or later as well.

8. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana
    About the chick, if left alone in a bater with food and high humidity there is a chance that the stuff will gradually go back in. I have had one make it and about 4 not. Now I don't deal with it, too much of a hassle unless it is a special chick.

I had heard marigold was in the molt food. I don't know. I increase the protein and wait it out or sell the hens as molting hen that will lay in a month. for the bugs I spray down the coop and such with seven and provide lots of dirt to make dusting areas.

As for the poultry press paper it is popular on the HRIR breed thread. I have not ordered it yet.

9. julie0477

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    naturewise puts marigold extract in several maybe all of their feeds, but that's more to color the yolk. I'm pretty sure it's the yucca extract that is suppose to have an effect on the mites.

10. Urbanmom519

Urbanmom519 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2013
    NW Indiana
    hello everyone! my coop came today, it's all assembled ready to go, I decided to put the girls in it as a brooder, they were quickly outgrowing my cabinet brooder I made, they are flapping around trying to fly it's cute, their wings are feathered, and tails are starting also, they are loving being outside during the day, they don't seem to miss a heat lamp, but I still have it on at night as is getting down in the 40s, do they have to be fully feathered to be outside in the run and no lamp I believe I read that but some places have a different take on it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by