INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana

2. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    I may break down and just sevin dust the roo. I'm not much of a pesticide person. Every time I go in to buy it I read the label and can't do it! But I can't let him have mites either :/. The DE worked for awhile and seems to have prevented the others from getting them but this guy is a magnet! I also have these mite strips from mcmurray hatchery. It's basically a flea collar that hangs in the coop door and rubs a little pesticide on the feathers. I might try that with the feed before I break out the dust. I was going to wait a week or two and see if the feed alone does anything. I'm pretty curious as to how effective it is.

3. racinchickins

racinchickins Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2013
    Mooresville IN
    The Rural King in Martinsville carries it. I picked up a bag, and my birds ended up preferring to the All Flock pellets. It may be because the pellet size is smaller. I don't have anybody really molting at the moment, and I had just finished a treatment for mites before I saw the food, so can't speak to either of those uses. I just wanted to see if the chickens would even eat it.

4. julie0477

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    I know! It's pretty tricky really. People can have cooped birds that don't ever get out and still get these great golden yolks. I just happened upon the info in an article about nutrient content in eggs from
    Backyard flocks.... And then i checked the ingredients on my bag of feed and there it was.

5. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom Chicken Obsessed

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    Urbanmom...

They'll let you know if they need heat.

My 3 wk olds are completely out from under mom - have been even when it got cold. Except at night when they go at least under a bit with their hinney's in and about half sticking out. I think mostly because they want to be sure to feel mom in the dark.

If I were brooding without a broody, I'd get an ecoglow and keep it available at night. If they need it they'll go under.

http://www.brinsea.com/prod-EcoGlow_Chick_Brooder-239.aspx

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  6. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom Chicken Obsessed

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    Maybe try some wood ash first. Work it into the feathers right down to the skin. Less intrusive than the chemicals and might save having to do something more.

7. julie0477

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    ok. Yeah I just hate using chemicals. I'll dig some out of the fire pit. Should I mix DE with it?

8. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    i do. in their dust bathing area i made them i have DE and wood ash mixed avilable at all times

9. bradselig

bradselig Overrun With Chickens

Apr 29, 2012
    Warren, IN
    Still have Rhodebars, legbar Roos, naked necks, and a straight comb blue partridge silkie chick available. Rest of the silkies are sold and Marans & SFH are on hold. Let me know if anyone is interested.

10. bradselig

bradselig Overrun With Chickens

Apr 29, 2012
    Warren, IN
    I found DE did nothing here. I've read a mix of peat and wood ash works very well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by