INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. racinchickins

racinchickins Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2013
    Mooresville IN
    I have an ecoglow, and I really like it. I've successfully brooded both chicks and poults with it. And it uses very little electric as opposed to a heat lamp. No danger of fire either. I do have to say though that it is nothing compared to a broody hen. Having someone else do all the work is definitely the way to go.

2. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom Chicken Obsessed

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana

3. Mother2Hens

Mother2Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    bradselig~ just "fyi," my "Chicken Health for Dummies" book said that possible causes of the malformation of a chick hatched with intestines outside of abdomen are high temperature during mid-incubation and hatching eggs exposed to near freezing temps. The book said the chick would have a poor chance of surviving. Sorry that you and the chick have to go through this.
    Originally Posted by amwchickin
    Update on the Marans with the lice/mites. I’m pretty sure it’s lice from everything I have read and the pictures I have seen. I found one of the pullets dead on Sunday and the other one seems a bit sluggish and sounds like it has a cold. I gave it a bath and dried it. I am giving it VetRx and saying a prayer until I find Sevin5 Dust.Anyone know what stores carry it? I have seen it online, haven’t looked in stores. Needless to say, that bird is on quarantine and lock down...flashing red lights and bio hazard!!
    amwchicken~ I typed up posts last night and one of them asked how your chickens were doing. (I switched to another page and my posts erased, but I was too tired to retype). I'm guessing the one with maggots died. I am so sorry. It seemed like such a strange occurrence. I wonder if Sevin would be too strong for a sick chicken, especially a chicken with respiratory issues. I don't know because I have never used it, but since it's not meant for chickens, it seems like it would be too strong. Just wondering--- not stating.

The one mille fleur that made it home with me is fine, she likes the trees, but knows where her food is!
    And the other Mille Fleur is still running rampant around my sister’s.
    So Mother2Hens, if you see a cute little black, gold, and white chicken running around in Evansville...that would me mine!!
    Your sister lives in Eville? And has chickens? She needs to join the thread!

I have decided the only way to remember where I left off last time is to post something! I get to the page every other day and boy oh boy do we Hoosiers like to talk!! Seriously though, I haven’t been on facebook in a month (nothing good ever comes from there anymore) and I cannot stay away from here!!
    That's a good method to find the right spot since the email notice/link doesn't always work correctly. I can relate to being addicted solely to this thread!
    Originally Posted by Sally in Indiana~my barn cat got a rabbit. Is it common for cats to try and get rabbits?
    Sally~ Two of my three spoiled well-fed indoor/outdoor neutered cats have caught large rabbits and baby ones (boohoo). The two have also caught squirrels, which is more unusual. Mostly they catch shrews and mice. Luckily, they aren’t frequent hunters. One of them is declawed in the front, but can still climb trees. If he dies while outside it will be because he likes to sleep in the warm concrete road!

1 person likes this.
  4. Mother2Hens

Jun 10, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    Glitches on this site!

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  5. Mother2Hens

Jun 10, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    acrull~ Welcome to the Indiana Thread!

rehric00~ Welcome to the Indiana Thread!
    HappyHappyHappy~ Welcome again-- I think you’ve posted before. Good luck with your broody!
    Leahs Mom~ You made me nervous when I saw your post about processing. I make sure not to see any processing photos/videos because I would have to be institutionalized.
    Originally Posted by Delawaremommy
    I was at the show and loved it ...
    And we both liked the African Geese!!

Originally Posted by Jchny~
    I have africans, and plan to start breeding next spring. They are very sweet geese, much calmer/quieter than my Chinese, and smaller than my Embden.

Jchny/Janet, Since I knew you were catching up on posts, I PMd Delawaremommy to tell her about how wonderfully sweet your geese are! (I was thinking of your Chinese) Haha I guess I should have consulted you first since you prefer African. It turned out that she was just dreaming about a FUTURE with geese!

African Geese:
    [​IMG]

Chinese Geese:
    [​IMG]

Peaceful Walls~ You were lucky to get some beautiful chickens from Brad! Benji’s ducks are adorable. Can he tell them apart since their markings all look a little different? Also love your flock photos. A year ago spring when we started with chickens, we traded a cockerel for a pullet. When the guy brought the pullet over, it was an EE and I thought it was a hawk! Here is a pic I took of "Roadrunner" last week.

[​IMG]

6. PeacefulWalls

PeacefulWalls Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2013
    Goshen, Indiana
    I guess we'll find out for sure in about another 6 weeks...I'm sure hoping you're just imagining the little pointy feathers and it's really a cute little pullet in disguise! [​IMG]

7. Too Fast

Too Fast Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis IN
    And from what I've seen/read about cats, the 'trophys' they bring for show and tell are only about 25% of what they kill!

8. Too Fast

Too Fast Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis IN
    We let ours enjoy the coop last spring when they were about 6 weeks old. Worried a bit, used a heat lamp since the nights were still in the 40s, but had no problems. Probably did not need the lamp, and we for sure will not use one this winter.

If yours are feathered out, then no problems. How old are they? If over 6ish weeks now, they should be fine. Congrats on your chicks moving out, now you are an empty nester.

9. hogster160

hogster160 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2013
    New Carlisle, Indiana
    Well, we have had an explosion of feathers all over. I'm guessing its a molt for my early January born girls. About half so far have lost so many feathers. I have been seeing more than normal in the coop first thing in the morning. Then yesterday I go out and I really thought i had an attack. Black, black and white and red and white feathers everywhere, piles of them. But all girls accounted for. I guess I now know why I'm not getting any eggs. My bearded EE's look funny with no beards. And Poor Big red, blrw, has lost the feathers on her face, head and neck. I checked them all last night and saw pin feathers on all who match the color of feathers found. Also checked for mites and lice, didn't see any sign, all skin and feather shafts look clear. I guess I'll be getting the new food everyone has been mentioning. See if it helps. I added some boss to their ff last night, so that should help them too.

I did go ahead and treat everyone for scaly mites to be on the safe side with vetRX. Some had dry looking legs too. I will be cleaning out the coop today as added measure. Or do I need to? I use DLM with poop board. I didn't see any mites on the walls, floor area, poop board or perches.

Any other suggestion for dealing with molt?

Thanks

Deb

10. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    Hogster - vetrx treats scaly leg mites? How does that work?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by