INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Webechickens

Webechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2013
    East Central Indiana

This is sad news. Hate that. So sorry to hear about this.
    Lee

2. Webechickens

Webechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2013
    East Central Indiana
    Hey, guys. Hope all is going well. I haven't posted a lot on here but I'm here reading a couple times a day and enjoy every minute of it. I enjoy this WAY more than fb. Anyway, wanted to tell you all that I set 9 eggs under a BO broody about 17 days ago. All of my girls have only been laying for about 1-1/2 months. I already have 3 broody girls. 2 have been taking turns sitting on them. I candled them on day 15 and only one was clear. All the rest were dark and heavier. Hoping that we get 8 new peeps in several days or so. I was kind of amazed that 3 girls went broody so early in their laying careers. This will be our first time. Tried on day 15 to put Miss Broody and her nest in their own big cage, but she totally freaked out and wanted nothing to do with it. Put her back on the original nest and she got off and went outside with everyone else and slept on the roost instead. Thank God I had 2 other broody girls that could take over! I have no incubator. Anyway, can't wait to be around peeps again and see them raised by a chicken mom. My 4 kids can't wait either.

3. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom True BYC Addict

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    Brad -
    On the incubators I have a question.

How do folks keep those sponges from growing mold? Seems like all the conditions for a good mold crop would be in an incubator sponge like that.

[​IMG]

4. jchny2000

jchny2000 Goslings are precious!

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    aww! they decided to surprise you! I love an early hatch, they are usually much stronger chicks. Skin and fluff, please show us more pics so we can [​IMG]
    AM always has beautiful birds, so tempting!
    I have a young goose with a leg/hip problem, but won't know til early next year if she can lay. Her eggs won't be hatched, she and her hatchmate prefers to hang out with the pekins anyway.
    Makes it easier for me.
    I am so sorry [​IMG]

5. jchny2000

jchny2000 Goslings are precious!

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    I'm not Brad, hehe, but use cheap ones and toss it after I use it. Mold scares me to death! I keep hearing about oxine? (sp?)
    I wonder if you could alternate and soak the used one in it? And wonder where you find it.
    [​IMG] sending good broody vibes!!! how exciting!

6. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom True BYC Addict

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    I have a bottle of oxine on my shelf but have never had to use it so far.

On the sponge, what I was thinking was during the 3 weeks it's in there. I would likely just ditch it afterwards. But I keep thinking of it growing mold during that 3 week period and contaminating the air in there with spores [​IMG]

7. bradselig

bradselig Overrun With Chickens

Apr 29, 2012
    Warren, IN
    I reuse the sponges several times and microwave them for 5-7 minutes after each incubation. For the humidifier wicks, this is my first time using them, so not sure. I'm more worried with the still air rather than forced air with mold. If a chick does get on the sponge and poop on the sponge (which I'm talking from experience lol) I throw it away. The last couple of times I've been getting the sponges from Dollar General and are supposedly mold resistant? Not sure how but that was all they had. haven't had a problem yet with them.

8. CRSelvey

CRSelvey Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2013
    Greencastle, IN
    Hi everyone! I have been super busy trying to finish all the details on the coop and making things as easy for my neighbor to take care of as possible while we are on vacation. All chickens are good but all kids are sick with different things. Tomorrow is my sons 6th birthday and I'm so excited for him.

My dh said I can't add on to the run until I finish the paint so I've been working on it a lot! I'm so happy with how it's turning out and I told him I was inviting all the chicken crazy folks to our house [​IMG]when it's done.

Old salt/ are any of your Cochins or wyandottes laying yet? Normally I get one light green egg and one giant brown egg about 5 days a week. Today I got one medium brown. I don't know if Lucy was just being efficient or if it's a new chicken.

Also I am starting to think about heated waterers. If I don't have power at the coop, do any of you have alternatives?

I'm still 400+ post behind but I can't wait to get back to them. I've missed you guys.

9. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    thanks John! It worked :).

10. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana

you buy it online like on amazon and other stores. I am going to buy some soon people clean their incubators with it and dip their eggs in itbefore they put them in their incubators.

And thanks guys

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by