INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. iamfivewire

iamfivewire Chillin' With My Peeps

the moron chickens link was hilarious

2. Old Salt 1945

Old Salt 1945 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    5 month old (20 weeks) GLW, SLW, no eggs. I suspect one of the 2 blue cochins might be laying, but I'm not sure. I need to get a spy camera.

For heated waterers, you need X number of 100 ft. extension cords. Get good ones 16 gauge minimum, 14 gauge much better, 12 gauge too expensive.

I have some chickens that might be a little slow on the uptake, but I don't think they quite qualify as morons.

John

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  3. Mother2Hens

Mother2Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    barb~ My mistake. I didn't notice the word "bantam" in your post! No wonder those LF eggs looked so large. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Originally Posted by HouseKat [​IMG]
    A place in Pennsylvania will not let you keep chickens unless your property is at least five acres!?! They have a petition trying to get it changed:
    http://www.change.org/petitions/low...tm_medium=email&utm_campaign=petition_created

HouseKat~ Thanks for posting this. I signed it and wrote a letter. They still need more signatures, chicken lovers.
    Originally Posted by CCCCCCCCHICKENS
    One of my silver duckwing OEGBs sprouted a second head

[​IMG]
    CCCHICKENS~ Haha! I love their big eyes. Reminds me of my choc orp Bonbon's eyes.
    Sorry to hear about your Russian Orloff. Do you know what she died from?

Originally Posted by Old Salt 1945 [​IMG]
    Claiming post # 15000
    John
    Old Salt~ Congratulatons! You've won a mean rooster from one of our members. Members, If you have a mean rooster, send it to John.
    Originally Posted by Too Fast [​IMG]
    Claiming post 15003.
    Too Fast~ Congratulatons! You've won a mean rooster from one of our members. Members, If you have a mean rooster, send it to Steve.
    Webechickens~ Three broodies well, two broodies! Haha Funny that one hen just quit-- enough of that boring job!

4. jchny2000

jchny2000 Goslings are precious!

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA

5. Mother2Hens

Mother2Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    Originally Posted by bradselig [​IMG]
    Only in Indiana can you buy moron chickens!
    http://tippecanoe.craigslist.org/grd/4097874253.html

bradselig~ As Bugs Bunny would say, "What a maroon!"
    Originally Posted by iamfivewire [​IMG]
    we had our 2nd loss about a week ago - a neighbor around the corner (1/2 mile away) had his 2 dogs get loose & of course they thought it would be a fun toy to play with - every tail feather was gone - we treated some of the bite wounds, but she died 2 hours later.

iamfivewire~ That's horrible! Did your dog get a hen? Did you contact the negligent owner? There have been quite a few discussions on this thread about loose dogs trespassing and killing chickens, etc. So sorry to hear about that.
    CRSelvey~ We've missed you, too! Sorry your kids are sick-- I remember those days-- Wait, my PTSD is coming back! [​IMG]
    Have fun on your vaca!
    jchny~ I noticed that when I read your long post about turkeys, I was hanging on every word! Haha I had to chuckle at myself because I never would have thought that I would be so mesmerized reading about Turkeys 101. Very interesting. Jakes-- what a cool name for the boys. [​IMG]
    pipd~ We've missed our resident breeding expert! Forget chicken soup-- Chickens are the best remedy for anything that ails you.

julie0477~ Glad to hear your EE is better! What seemed to help the most?

6. Old Salt 1945

Old Salt 1945 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    racin~ Glad your turkey returned. That's what happens when the women are in charge! I think your dog was just trying to point out those vulnerabilities and issues of your housing/fencing. [​IMG]

Originally Posted by Too Fast [​IMG]
    Hopefully your other turkey will show up.
    Have you interviewed the dog? Or does he just look at you and wag his tail.

The dog is smart enough to remain silent and request a lawyer. [​IMG]

John

7. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    I am so sorry for your loss.
    Hope you had an opportunity for an "informative chat" with the irresponsible pet owner [​IMG] That's my pet peeve makes my blood boil!
    Hehehe, gotcha! [​IMG] now for the turkey math. You will really love them!
    ETA: be sure to call the county co-op to check if blackhead is noted in your area. If so keep separated from the chickens.
    My tom Buddy does very well, even in breeding season, just ignores the other birds - unless the roo's go near Lila.
    He lets her wup them and run them off.
    If they attack her, and she cries out, all bets are off. He is on them in seconds, and they learn fast to steer clear.
    He is a sweetheart around me. I have 4 toms/jakes total.
    Hoping my littlest BR poult is a hen [​IMG]
    Some toms have been known to be aggressive, I have heard of very few. I have way more trouble with the roosters.
    I have never seen any of the toms or jakes bother a hen, guinea, goose, peafowl or duck.
    My brain dead guinea cock Hyde challenged Buddy 1 time and got stomped. He steers clear too.
    Now the BBW and BBBs they are a meatbird, think ginormous cornish cross! different story. T
    hey will attack your other birds, my BBW do any chance they get.
    Heritage is the way to go if you intend to have them as a flockmates.
    Heres a link that gives basic info:
    http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/poulsci/tech_manuals/small_turkey_flock_management.pdf
    really good website, additional docs besides this one:
    http://www.albc-usa.org/documents/turkeymanual/ALBCturkey-6.pdf
    I saved the PDFs from there, good reading [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] gotta love craigslist...

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  8. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA

9. chickenlover28

chickenlover28 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2013
    Dyer, Indiana
    Hey all!
    Dyer in here!whoop whoop!
    That's nw in about 30 min from Chicago. New to chickens but feel like an expert now. Got them this spring. Kind of a surprise. Was supposed to be a joke however turned into an addiction lol. And a business for me.

10. chickenlover28

chickenlover28 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2013
    Dyer, Indiana
    Looking for a safe place to sell or auction chickens. Last one I went to a Chinese man bought my show roo to eat! I was crying and he would not sell him back to me. It was aweful. He was the sweet roo. Just didn't need two of them. He topped the auction. Everyone wanted him. I can't believe he paid so much to eat him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by