INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. jchny2000

jchny2000 Goslings are precious!

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    [​IMG] and our thread! [​IMG] I lived in lake co 35 years, worked in Schererville!
    We are a chatty group! And have a lot of fun, too [​IMG]
    Feel free to talk about most anything allowed on the thread, think "kid friendly" as we do have some members that are young adults.
    We have members all over the state, and a few neighboring states as well.

2. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    Oh thats so sad! There is a buy-sell-trade thread, and we keep a member list of who breeds what, and where they are in the state.
    Even if you raise different types of poultry, livestock, dogs etc. Its ok to share it on here, and just ask if someones interested to PM you. (personal message)
    We mention swap and trade birds, sell as well.

3. Mother2Hens

Mother2Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    I'm watching Jimmy Fallon and he was just reading "Texts from Mom" that viewers sent it. Instead of "LOL," one mom used CLAH -- Cackle Like A Hen! HaHa Has anyone heard that one? It's perfect for BYCers.
    On another note, recently there was a discussion about Netflix, Cable, Satellite TV, etc. Several people hated Satellite TV . . . why? Just wondering. Thanks.

4. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    Hehe, love that!
    Satellite [​IMG] I can sure answer that! We can't get cable out here. If its raining, no signal, if it snows... if you sneeze, if the dog barks LOL its that bad...
    Have had dish and direct. Ugh. Miss living in town for the cable and internet, but that's the ONLY thing I miss.

5. Mother2Hens

Mother2Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    chickenlover28~ Welcome to the Indiana Thread!
    Click on the Indiana Members link at the bottom of this post to see who lives in your area. That seems weird that the Asian guy would want to eat a fancy, more expensive rooster. A related story-- I talked to a guy recently who said that he sells his unwanted roosters to Mexican people. He said that they don't want white ones to kill/eat since white roosters are considered good luck.
    jchny~ How is Cassy doing after her car accident? Did they find the dumb guy at fault I hope?

Thanks for the satellite input -- Max is moving out, so I will actually have an empty nest, which might be nice. He moved home after graduating from Purdue in bio. He has been doing an internship at Vectren, our power company while he finishes his electrical engineering degree. They offered him a job today, which will pay for the rest of his school. He and his girlfriend are moving in to a newly renovated historic place downtown and they were discussing television options. I told him that I remembered that several BYCers did not like satellite, but I wasn't sure why.

Btw, I can just see my DH's face when I mention getting turkeys-- "But they're miniature! And our nest is empty!"
    I think I'll probably stick with having my miniature orp, Bonbon. I never thought I'd be interested in Bantam size, but we are all crazy about her.

6. chickenlover28

chickenlover28 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2013
    Dyer, Indiana
    Roo was a rhode island red ( show quality) and friendly 8 mo old. But most people dont want that breed. He was getting beat up here. Had 2 more dominant roos. Wanted to grab his cage andcrun off b ut had to wait for my $ from other chicks. And I bought a cpl hens.

7. chickenlover28

chickenlover28 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2013
    Dyer, Indiana
    I also heard something about their beleifs tht roos have healing power. Reguarless I wont eat chineese again. They loaded up their trucknto take all these birdsctontheir restaurant. Kinda gross. Some ofbthese birds looked sick. Their feeding them to the public.

8. HappyHappyHappy

HappyHappyHappy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2013
    hour North of Indy
    day 8-9 for my momma hen sitting on her 10 eggs. I snuck out to candle a few tonight, Looking good for the most part, I did see one i think may be clear. Ill wait and recandle next week just to see. First time to hatch chicks and the suspense is killing me, But I am sure I love it... I do have 2 Questions if anyone can answer them.
    First: when you candle an egg what do the ones that will explode look like. I would like to try and keep that from happening if possible.
    Second: If an EE Roo Is the Father of any of the eggs under momma Will the Tuft Gene Death thing come into play with the offspring? None of the eggs are from an EE hen.. If it is so at what point does it,(DEATH) happen.. When i candle the eggs i can see large dark masses moving a little. All of the eggs are Dark Brown so it is hard to see a lot, but i did see some movement and dark masses in most of them.

Thank you, Jeremy

9. toodlesmom

toodlesmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2013
    LOL! Too true! Too true!

10. Too Fast

Too Fast Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis IN
    Welcome to our fast moving thread. Get in, sit down, buckle up and hold on! I'm new this past spring also, but it's not a business.
    Please no mean roosters. Since I'm claiming post 15003, this is more proof that Old Salt is really nothing more than some guvmint bot, living on BYC and probably other places. That's how he magically posts on a special number. Send all the roosters his way! All those drones flying around, John is housed in them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by