INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. kabhyper1

kabhyper1 Chillin' With My Peeps

There sure seems to be a lot of broody hens lately!! I hope all of you with broodies have good hatches!! My two are doing okay so far. The silkies will hatch with the rest of the flock in the silkie coop, because my brooder has my cochin hen and her eggs in it. I wasn't prepared for two broodies at the same time. lol. I have been giving then a mixture of chick starter with a bit of calf manna and scratch for feed. The cochin has only lost two ounces in two weeks, so I think that is pretty good. I have been giving the rest of my flock calf manna too, because they are starting to molt. I figured the extra protein might be good. Hope everyone is well. :)

2. barb s

barb s Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2013
    Columbia City area
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    HELP PLEASE!!! I need some buddies for this little guy. My DF rescued this little guy today and brought him home to me. If there is anyone around the Columbia City area that has chicks for sale I would really like to get some friends for him/her. The chick has just the tiniest of feathers on its wings so it can't be very old. Also since I was not expecting to get any chicks for a while all I have for feed is grower/finisher. So I mixed some of that with some water and made a mash and then mixed in a scrambled egg with it. I also put some poly vi sol in its water. Is that okay? I do plan on getting some chick starter today along with some sav-a-chick. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

3. kabhyper1

kabhyper1 Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm in columbia city. I will have a hatch Tues and one in two weeks. Depending on what I have, I may be able to help you. I would put a teddy bear or something in there for him to cuddle with until you have another chick. Get chick starter as soon as you can.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  4. barb s

May 28, 2013
    Columbia City area
    I do have a stuffed animal in with him/her as well as a mirror. That would be totally awesome if you can help with some chicks. I feel so bad for him/her He's/she's just keeps chirping and chirping and sounds so lonely.On my way to get some chick starter for him/her now. Thank you for your help

5. sjanowie

sjanowie New Egg

Jan 11, 2009
    Bloomington, IN
    Hi! I'm not sure if this is the right place to post, but I live in Bloomington IN and am hoping to refresh my small backyard chicken flock of 5 hens. They're 2.5 years old, broody/molty right now and I think it's time to make chicken soup. Any tips or suggestions on where to get just 5 new hens? The online orders have much larger minimums than I can use (legal limit is 5 here in town). But if anyone lives in south/central Indiana and is ordering some soon, I'd love to share, or if anyone knows of local places to buy chicks/pullets, please let me know. I've done a little web-searching but not found a lot this time of year. Thanks!

Steven

6. gunchief25

gunchief25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2013
    Solsberry, Indiana
    I'm not sure if they still have any but Rural King in Bloomington had Barred Rock pullets and ISA Brown Pullets just last week.

7. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana
    I have some chicks if the other person's chicks don't work out. But I am not close to you by any means. I would check out our members list to find those closest to you.

RK in blommington had some the last time I was there. I have some from meyer hatchery that are almost 2 weeks old. There is a show in Lebanon Oct. 19th I'm sure there will be chickens closer to laying age there. Then there is the member list you might be able to find a member close to you that has a special breed you like. This is a great time of the yr to get 1 yr old hens as people start thinning their flocks for winter. I already sold off all of my extra laying hens. They went really fast on CL. Next yr I might just raise up a few extra. There is not a real profit in it but I get to pick and choose which ones I like best.

8. browncow15

browncow15 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Indiana
    So I know the heritage breeds generally take longer to start laying but what do you guys think about either a hatchery RIR or a black sex link that has taken 29 weeks to start? Problem or just a late bloomer?
    Pretty much all my other girls that I got in the spring are laying but the last two days I've gotten really tiny pullet eggs again. I've had the occasional day before that I've gotten 12 eggs from 12 girls but never two days in a row.

9. barb s

May 28, 2013
    Columbia City area
    Thank you for the offer but right now you are a little too far for me to drive, however in the future I would certainly be interested in some chicks.

10. bradselig

bradselig Overrun With Chickens

Apr 29, 2012
    Warren, IN
    im in huntington county and have chicks right now . Send me a pm if intrrested.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by