INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. gunchief25

gunchief25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2013
    Solsberry, Indiana
    Quote:You hit the egg jackpot!!!

2. toodlesmom

toodlesmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2013
    Today I saw a picture of the most gorgeous autumn wreath made of turkey tail feathers! Made me want to raise a few turkeys just to make a wreath of my own!

3. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom Chicken Obsessed

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    Kab - let momma decide when she wants to come out for food and potty. She knows what to do.

Her hatch may be over a 3 day or so period so don't disturb her. The more you try to see what's going on the more you chance her leaving the nest too soon.

On my present broody the first hatched on a Friday; the last hatched on Sunday. She left the nest and took the kids with her Sunday evening. All the rest of the eggs that were left I candled and they were all duds. I didn't disturb her to see if any of them were bad or good until she moved her residence.

4. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    ralk about something that would take up a lot of room!

5. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    I am waiting for my OEGBs to start laying so i can hatch some of there eggs. There faces are getting red but they have been like that for over a month. All i know is they were hatched in spring the guy i got them feom did not know specifics.

6. Little Ameraucana Mom

Little Ameraucana Mom Need Help, Can't stop hatching!!!

Jul 8, 2008
    Greencastle, In
    Welcome, glad you found us. Bless you for taking them in. Post a picture of your roo, someone might take him.

7. pginsber

pginsber Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    pbirdhaven
    So sorry to hear about the loss your bantam Polish hen. Sounds like she was very sweet. It's great that you still have her offspring. I bet they're very pretty, too!

peacefulwalls
    47 eggs? LOL! and you thought they weren't laying!!! HA!

jchny2000
    Yum! Ham and beans with hot cornbread sounds AWESOME on these cool, fall days! Now, you've got me thinking about it!

8. barb s

barb s Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2013
    Columbia City area
    I would be more than happy to grow out a pair for you. Or if you would like to grow them out your self I will gladly take any extra you have even the roosters. Just let me know. I just placed my order yesterday. I wont be getting them until April though. I'm going to be getting 4 each of the Buckeyes and the New Hampshire's. I could have gotten them yet this year but it wouldn't have been until the end of November. A November shipment of chicks was really kinda scary to me. I was afraid they'd get stuck in a blizzard somewhere. Of course I suppose that could happen in April too, but maybe not as likely. I think I have a pretty good start on my dream flock.

How cool would it be to have a slide in your house. I bet the kids loved it.

I know there a lot of really awesome people on this thread. Everyone has always been very helpful and nice.

Just a quick update. My newly acquired chicks are doing great and growing everyday. My little broody bantam is still vigilantly sitting on her eggs. She has one more week to go and hopefully there will be more babies running around.

9. pginsber

pginsber Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    My new mom and her 3 babies are keeping me busy after work every day. They're only 3 days old, but already they do whatever they want to do instead of what I have planned for them to do.

Monday night, I worked to get a feeder and make a nipple waterer in a secluded place for Mom and chicks to use. I cut out the side of a Rubbermaid tub and made them a cute little pre-school suite. I carved a bale of straw and made a step from the nestbox & pre-school suite down to the coop floor.

They didn't care. They didn't use it. They stayed in their elevated nesting box.

Tuesday, on this BYC board, I read that Mom would move her chicks away from the hatching area. AACK! I worried about it all day at work, thinking that the chicks would fall out of the nest box, or get pecked to death by the other pullets, or all other kinds of tragedy.

Tuesday night, I rush home, and can hear very loud cheeping. Terrible thoughts run through my mind. I go into the coop and ONE of the babies was under mother on the coop floor and the other two were up in their pre-school suite cheeping because they were separated from MOM.

Tuesday night, I REMOVE the straw bale step, remove the cool pre-school suite and relocate the suite to the floor, in the corner of the coop.

At least mom and babies eat in the secluded area. The babies run all around the coop floor under mom's auspice, and the other birds just watch.

It's easier to keep them in a brooder in the bathroom, where they're under control!
    [​IMG]
    The special suite for mom and chicks

[​IMG]
    Chicks running AMOK in the coop

[​IMG]
    The big girls looking down at the curious chicks on the coop floor

1 person likes this.
  10. PeacefulWalls

PeacefulWalls Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2013
    Goshen, Indiana
    Yeah, these eggs are staying in the fridge for our own use. I would have loved a couple dozen extra to sell, but I'm not sure how long they've been up there. There are at least 3, maybe 4 different colors of eggs and multiples of each, so who knows how many girls decided the straw pile in the loft was better than the handy coops right in the chicken stall. Silly birds!

I've been thinking the same thing. Got the beans, just need the ham!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by