INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    Happy hatch day guys! Kab - I was a nervous wreck my first hatch too (which was just about six weeks ago). You are doing great. I interfered WAY too much. Fortunately for my birds i had to go to work hatch day lol. Sounds like all is going well .... can't wait to see pictures!

2. kabhyper1

kabhyper1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks Julie! I just went out to turn the lights off in the barn, and I heard PEEPS!!!! It took a lot to not look. It's cold out and I didn't want to disturb them. I will check on them in the morning. Does anyone know if Lavender will get up to go poop during the hatch? She is in the brooder box, and I have had to carry her outside to relieve herself. I didn't do it today of course, but she ate a ton of food today. I don't want to lift her off the eggs at all for fear of shrink wrapping the pipped chicks.

3. pbirdhaven

pbirdhaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    North Vernon IN
    A person I know had a peacock mounted; it had belonged to her dad. I asked her where she planned to keep it (it was in full feather!), and she hadn't decided that yet. [​IMG]

Never thought about bringing in the dirt--always trying to get dirt OUT of my house. What a great idea!

Glad to hear that your baby is better.

I'm desperately trying to catch up on posts after a weekend in Lucasville and coming back to the mess left by the rains mentioned by Danand--still 20 pages to go. Lots of good pics and interesting posts!

Lost my best bantam Polish hen Sunday night. She started going down Thursday and didn't respond to any treatment. No idea what was wrong; she acted very much like a chick with cocci, but she was 18 months old. I lost her mother in the spring under much the same conditions, so I'm wondering if there is something genetic going on. Needless to say, I was devastated; she was champion AOCCL at the Bloomington show in September and a truly cuddly little girl. I hope that some of the youngsters from her turn out well and healthy.

4. jchny2000

jchny2000 Goslings are precious!

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA

5. PeacefulWalls

PeacefulWalls Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2013
    Goshen, Indiana
    What a crazy but fun egg collecting day. This morning I saw one of my girls up in the loft of the barn. She was singing an egg laying song, so I thought I'd better head up there to look for an egg. There was a box lid on the floor with some straw in it, along with 4 eggs. So I collected those. Then I saw her settle in in on top of the pile of straw bales (with lots of loose straw everywhere from kids playing in it). Sure enough -- there was another nest -- with 15 eggs. She then headed over to another spot close to the floor and settled in. Followed her over -- 11 more eggs! I picked my girl up, held her for a bit then set her in front of me on the straw. She immediately squatted and about 10 seconds later I picked her up again and there was a fresh egg!! This evening I decided to check the loft -- 2 more eggs in the box. I also checked the hay bales stacked in the back of the duck coop. Another nest I hadn't seen before -- this one with 2 small blue eggs -- one of my Easter Eggers has finally started laying!! [​IMG] All together today I think I collected 47 eggs -- I felt like a little kid on an Easter egg hunt!

1 person likes this.
  6. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    [​IMG] Think positive! sending good hatching vibes, it happens.

7. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    ugh, sounds scary...[​IMG]

8. PeacefulWalls

PeacefulWalls Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2013
    Goshen, Indiana
    Who knows -- maybe you'll end up being the shorts & T-shirt kind of beekeeper! And the honey is sooo good [​IMG]

9. Mother2Hens

Mother2Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    pbirdhaven~ So sorry to hear about the death of your sweet, award-winning bantam polish hen! Very sad. [​IMG]
    pipd~ I agree; all of the mother hen and baby pics make me yearn for a broody hen sitting on eggs.
    kabhyper~ I'm checking in and I'm disappointed you didn't look at the chicks, but you did the right thing! That would be hard to resist. I can't wait to tune in tomorrow to see what happened.

10. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by