INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. jchny2000

jchny2000 Goslings are precious!

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    [​IMG] we can hang out with ya!

2. kabhyper1

kabhyper1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Man, now that I know there are chicks out there, I REALLY can't sleep. I can't win. I just want to see them!!!! Will she get up and poop during the hatch? I don't want her to accidently poo on the chicks.

3. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA

4. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    Muahaha, turkey math! [​IMG]
    [​IMG] and our thread [​IMG] I would check them over closely, especially for feather mites. Try to post a pic of your roo if you can.

5. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA

6. Old Salt 1945

Old Salt 1945 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    They sank and fell apart.

7. Old Salt 1945

Old Salt 1945 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    Be sure to candle each egg. Discard problem eggs. Don't sell them, you could irritate a customer with an egg with a blood spot. When you use the eggs, crack each one into a cup and look it over before adding it to your food. Wouldn't hurt to sniff the egg before using it.

They are likely just fine, but no sense taking a chance.

John

8. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    Caught up!!!! [​IMG]
    Well the leaves are sure flying here. Running my leaf catcher like crazy to store them for the winter.
    makes for great bedding! The goats & pigs love to munch all the maple leaves.
    Really works well for deep litter too.
    Going to cut the field and gather it. Hay prices are way down, will get a big load stored before winter.
    My Sebright girl is laying regular, and the OEGBs, Will still be hatching them, otherwise just quail.
    I actually got to turn off an incubator this week! Left one regular rail and the rest are all quail rails in #2. #3 will still be for hatching.
    I can't believe how tiny the OEGB eggs are, I have a few quail eggs bigger than them!
    When my polish start to lay, I will hatch them too. Really pleased with them, bearded, muffed and just adorable [​IMG]
    All 3 breeds are infrequent layers, 2-3 times a week so far at best. My silkie hen will be laying soon too, will be the same for her, if I understand correctly.
    Late February it all starts over! I plan to let my scovies and chinese geese brood their own next year. Goose eggs take a lot of room!
    Muscovies are a 35+ day hatch so it really ties up room too. Looking forward to getting my sportsman cabinet [​IMG]
    Pleased that I do have a pekin drake, heard the raspy quack from him again today [​IMG]He is 11 weeks old now, still no curled drake feather.
    He will have 5 ducks so will be a very happy boy. Would like to find one more drake so I have a backup.

9. toodlesmom

toodlesmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2013
    I looked up Sunbird Farms, and their German New Hampshires are EXACTLY what I want! I had been admiring and coveting birds just like them only yesterday and wondering how to get a pair! Would you be willing to grow out a pair of pullets and sell them to me? Or should I grow out a half-dozen chicks and sell the surplus? They ought to sell easily enough - they are gorgeous! They are good for both eggs and meat, and are so different in appearance and temperament from the American NHs. I think they would be a really smart breeding investment. Heritage chickens are becoming quite desirable.

Your fixing up an old house is familiar to us. We bought this house nearly 28 years ago - moved in on our 2nd son's third birthday - and have been rehabbing it ever since! Now things that we did 25 years ago need to be redone while we still have stuff we never have gotten around to! It is a big old place, built as a double in 1892, that we opened into one huge house. It is known by kids all over the neighborhood for having a slide between the first and second floors. We had two identical sets of stairs since it was a double, so we floored over one and made a slide. We are finally getting a bunch of work done now that all the kids have flown the nest, and we either will sell our nice old house or live in it awhile longer, but with it completed at last. I'm a collector, and it's full of cats, stuff, and memories.

Someone else more experienced will have to fill you in on your vaccination and quarantine questions. There are lots of good and helpful people on this thread!

10. Too Fast

Too Fast Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis IN
    Now that sounds like a lot of fun. What a haul, 47(!) eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by