INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Sad day for me today. I have to cull one of my dark brahma hens tonight.
hit.gif
She was attacked by one or more of the turkeys a couple of days ago. Don't know what prompted it. I can only speculate that one of their 'Get out of my way' pecks drew blood. I've been nursing her, but it is now apparent that she has lost her sight, and a blind chicken won't fend for itself. She only drinks if I dunk her beak in the water, and she won't eat. I was hoping she would recover, but it doesn't look like the case. The brahma's are one of my favorite hens, they mature slowly, but they are so gentle and calm.

I re-prioritized my construction. Will be hurrying to finish an enclosure for the Turkeys asap so I can separate them from the chickens.

Sad day for me today. I have to cull one of my dark brahma hens tonight.
hit.gif
She was attacked by one or more of the turkeys a couple of days ago. Don't know what prompted it. I can only speculate that one of their 'Get out of my way' pecks drew blood. I've been nursing her, but it is now apparent that she has lost her sight, and a blind chicken won't fend for itself. She only drinks if I dunk her beak in the water, and she won't eat. I was hoping she would recover, but it doesn't look like the case. The brahma's are one of my favorite hens, they mature slowly, but they are so gentle and calm.

I re-prioritized my construction. Will be hurrying to finish an enclosure for the Turkeys asap so I can separate them from the chickens.

Oh, that is one of the saddest things ever. So sorry for you. Praying God will give you strength and comfort!

Hey guys:) Sorry to butt in, but I'm moving to Ft Wayne in april, and am curious on the legality of owning chickens within the city? I'd probably only get 2 or 3 bantam hens, I just can't imagine not having ANY chickens since I grew up with them. If it isn't allowed I would probably keep them very well hidden xD

Good morning!
caf.gif
I haven't been around on this thread for a few months now (5000+ posts behind-yikes) due to being so busy, but now that school has been in a while and I am getting somewhat caught up I thought I would say hello and see what everyone has been up to. I only went back three days though...there's NO WAY I would ever catch up completely! I have a terrible habit of getting on this site and losing track of time. It's like a black hole. A wonderfully entertaining black hole, but still...I had to quit cold turkey. It's been so long I should probably re-introduce myself. My name is Tami and I am a Chicken Addict and Hatchaholic.
lau.gif

It's been an interesting year here. I sold my entire flock of pet quality Silkies(together thankfully) and slowly "upgraded" to all SQ and BQ Silkies. We have a LARGE and diverse pet/laying flock and a pet/bantam flock as well in addition to my Silkies. Chicken Math ran rampant this spring/summer but I think I am finally getting my numbers under control. My boys decided to stop raising their birds for 4-H and sell them all (had been raising SL Polish, BCW Polish, Porcelain D'Uccles and Gray Japanese between the two of them) but my daughter is still very active with her flock of Buff Silkies and her BB Red Dutch. My boys were reluctant to join 4-H this last year but I made them give it a try and it just wasn't for them. My youngest might try doing archery instead of poultry and stay in after all.

I myself have White, Black, Blue, Gray, Paint, and Cuckoo in Silkies, Showgirls, CCLs and LF Cochins. We have just started fall hatching to get ready for showing this coming year (Silkies are very slow to mature so we are getting a head start). My daughter and I have a passion for raising these gorgeous fluffy butts so we figured showing would be our next adventure.

We are also currently growing out our first Cornish meat birds. We have butchered extra or mean roos in the past but never raised birds just for meat before. We started small with 10 this time just to get a feel for it. So far, pretty gross. They lay by their feeders all day eating and pooping. Just laying in it. I clean out their pen every day and still they just lay in poop and their skin gets red from it but they don't seem to care. They poop SO much! It's drastic compared to all of our other birds. I wasn't expecting them to be quite so disgusting. It's been no problem to stay unattached.

I participated in a Poultry Swap a couple of weeks ago at the TSC in Corydon. That was a fun afternoon. It was nice to visit with other "chicken people". I am considering talking to the manager of our local store to see about doing something similar. How many of you would consider traveling to Seymour to participate? If I can get at least half a dozen of us together I will give it a shot.

I have a few stragglers left to re-home so if anyone is looking for anything in particular just PM me. I know we have a few OEGB pairs, four Por. D'Uccle pullets, a very young RIR cockerel (who we bought a couple of weeks ago as a day old pullet from Orscheln
he.gif
), a Speckled Sussex cockerel, a beautiful CCL cockerel-good straight comb), an Exchequer Leghorn cockerel and two trios of Polish (one SL and one BCW). I also have one BQ Black Silkie cockerel (purchased as a chick directly from Geri Godina) and one BQ White Silkie rooster. I am sure there are a few I have forgotten to mention too!

Ill try to catch up tonight but I got my first partridge showgirl egg this morning! It will go in the incubator with white showgirl eggs and tolbunt polish (which have still continued to be infertile!) Tonight.

Last edited:
Okay so I went out this morning and my little hyperactive white silkie is lethargic. Gasping for air, and is holding her wings out. I gave her a bit of poly vi sol and put her back under her mother. The only change I made out there was letting the momma dust bathe. I used wood ash and our normal run sand. Not alot of wood ash. She was fine last evening. THey are in the barn. It got pretty cold last night but they are in with momma. I really want to save her. I don't know what else to do for her. She alomst seems aspirated, and weak from gasping. I have poultry drench and poly vi sol and electrolites in my arsenal. Should I get some kind of antibiotics? I don't want the other chicks getting it too.

Back
Top Bottom