INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. kabhyper1

kabhyper1 Chillin' With My Peeps

I didn't give the antibiotic yet. Just poly vi sol and electronics in their water. they are in a broader under a heat lamp in the house. All three silkies seem lethargic. They are really upset but I can't leave them with their momma. The white silkie is sitting on her rear end with her head back. I feel so bad.

2. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    Poor babies. Are they eating and drinking pooping normally? I wonder what's wrong :(

3. jhfamily5

jhfamily5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2012
    Brownstown, IN
    I would think so too, but I would be worried about crush injuries and the bigger chicks pushing the others away from food and drink. Most of the time they are fine brooded together, but from what they are describing there might be problems with this group. That would be way more likely than just the bantams getting a respiratory infection when there has never been an outbreak with their birds before. Im totally guessing here just based on my own experiences and their description. Wish I could help more...

4. jhfamily5

Apr 20, 2012
    Brownstown, IN
    I's so sorry for your situation. That is so hard. I understand that pain. When they are little like that it is hard to know what to do. No matter what you do, you second guess yourself. Is her head crooked backward?

5. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    That all makes sense. I agree too the antibiotics are kind of a last resort. Hopefully just moving them resolves the issue. My case was a little different. I lost several before I tried antibiotics. It was sort of what have I got to lose at that point. And I consulted a vets office over the phone.... A couple vets offices. Mine were brooder chicks and probably exposed to something at the store I bought them from. This is a little different. In any case I hope they get well. Keep us posted kab! :)

6. HappyHappyHappy

HappyHappyHappy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2013
    hour North of Indy
    hatch day was supposed to be tomorrow or thursday!! I go out to feed and water the chickens and i hear all kinds of peeps from under my broodie. really 19 days. wow. couldnt see much I tried to peek a little and she bit me. I saw one little black fuzzball and one little yellowish white fuzzball.. I didnt want to pester her a whole lot so i have no idea what all is going on under there.. So far the other chickens are not bothering them at all but they all hear the peeps I am sure of that.. YAAAY I took a vacation day for THursday since That would have been 21 days.. I so wish i could switch it to today........

7. pipdzipdnreadytogo

pipdzipdnreadytogo Dorking Queen Premium Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop
    Kabhyper - it sounds to me like 'star gazing', which if I'm remembering correctly is a form of wry neck and is usually treated the same way. Silkies are prone to both star gazing and wry neck, which explains why only your Silkie chicks are affected by it.

First of all, if they are on medicated feed, take them off it now as this can make the condition worse. The Amprolium in medicated feed is a thiamine blocker, and having a deficiency of thiamine (or vitamin B1) is one of the causes of this condition.

They need vitamins E and B1, and Selenium to aid in the absorption of vitamin E. This post has a dosing regimen in it that was successful for this person's bird: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ze-updated-with-great-results/10#post_4698410 There were also suggestions of natural ways to provide them with these vitamins (was it the raw liver?) a few pages back, if you prefer. I don't remember them--I hope someone else can chime in here.

ETA: The raw liver was a natural source of vitamin B. I don't know if there is a natural way to provide them with vitamin E or selenium. Best of luck! :fl

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  8. jhfamily5

Apr 20, 2012
    Brownstown, IN
    Star gazing is another name for wry neck. I have also heard it called crook neck too. I have successfully treated several Silkie chicks that had wry neck with the Vitamin E, Selenium and Polyvisol (no iron) treatment. I got all three at CVS. Had to get Selenium in tablets and crush it and the Vit E in gel capsules and split them open. I mixed all three with wet feed. It takes time, but they can pull through it. The last case was from a head peck injury. The last post made me wonder about wry neck too. Not so much the other symptoms that were first posted though or the sluggish behavior in the other two chicks. Why is this crap always so hard to diagnose? [​IMG]

9. kabhyper1

Thank you for your input guys. I took a video, that is taking a minute to upload. Maybe it will shed some light on the situation. They don't act injured. I picked them up and checked them out. They have full motion of their legs and they are using them. They can get around. They are just weak. The White one is breathing hard. She rocks when she is sitting still from how hard she is breathing. I haven't seen diarrhea I did clean Chances bottom off, and he keeps trying to scratch it. He falls over when he does. The black and white chicks aren't eating and drinking. I tried to get poly in them but I dont know how much they got. They shook their heads when I put it on their beaks. The little blue seems fine. He is eating. The white one was the strongest chick in there since hatch. Chance got better form his delay in walking, and now today all of a sudden they are weak. They are not on medicated feed. The poly would take care of the star gazing if thats what she was doing, but she isn't doing it anymore. I think she was falling asleep and her head went backwards. She is keeping her eyes half shut all the time anyway. She is just sitting and breathing hard. Chance seems alert, just wobbly. Both are holding their wings down. It is 85 in the brroder. So I hope they were maybe just cold. Idk.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  10. kabhyper1

Okay here they are. It is in black and white because the red lamp in the brooder was making it impossible to see the video. The quality isn't great because you tube hates my phone videos. I hope it helps. I am at a loss.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by