INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. kabhyper1

kabhyper1 Chillin' With My Peeps

It is so fast, I think I am going to treat my whole flock. I don't know what it is, and I know a tiny week old silkie is more susceptable than grown birds, but I don't want to risk it.

2. Old Salt 1945

Old Salt 1945 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    Maybe I'm missing something here.

Way back when, I made some homemade lye soap. I got the lye by pouring water through wood ashes.

Wouldn't a baby chick nesting under his mother who had been dusting in wood ash breathe that stuff in and manufacture lye in it's lungs? I picture myself shaking up a bag of wood ash and sticking my face into it and breathing in the fine dust. I don't think I would enjoy it. I might even cough a bit.

I have never used wood ash. Do any of you folks know anything about its effects on chicks?

John

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  3. Delawaremommy

Delawaremommy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2013
    So sorry to hear about your babies....

4. CityHen-Indy

CityHen-Indy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Kelly, this is so sad and even though they aren't my chicks, I feel a little of your pain. Silkies are more fragile, I think.Have been following your story so closely and rooting for such a big success... hugs

5. J3nn

J3nn Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2013
    Fountaintown, Indiana
    We are doing our first meat birds too....and you're right-it's easy not to get attached! They just don't have the personalities like our layers do. They are still inside since they're not completely feathered out yet, but we're not keeping the heat lamp on anymore. I'm ready to get them outside-although d-day is under a month away for them.

6. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom Chicken Obsessed

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    Kelly - are any of the other chick breeds having any issues?

7. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    Oh kab I'm sorry. Maybe johns right maybe it's the dust. Or if it's gotten wet it could be asper.... Ok I can't spell it but someone mentioned it before. Silkies are more sensitive (like my Sebright babies). I bet the others will be ok but if you think you should treat them than do. Just remember the 21 day withdrawal period for their eggs. I'm so sorry :(

8. ellymayRans

ellymayRans Chillin' With My Peeps

I hatched out a few of my own in July. I ended up with one smooth girl and a frizzle girl and 2 frizzled boys. If u would like some I would happily help. The parents and babes pics... just pm me if u are still looking.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

9. ellymayRans

ellymayRans Chillin' With My Peeps

Saw the parent pic didn't load...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. kabhyper1

kabhyper1 Chillin' With My Peeps

You guys are sweet. Thank you. Little Chance is doing better. No more wheezing. Im sad about the white one. It may have been the ash. It never crossed my mind that it would hurt them. I kinda hope it was my mistake and not an illness. I havent treated anyone besides mom and babies. Will let you know how the little guy is later on. Hope he makes it through the nite. He has had it rough.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by