INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    Sooooooo.... My friend gave me a newborn Pekin duck today to ease my pain of losing squeakers and swimmer. He (or she) is brooding with a silkie baby now. Anyone interested in going in on a hatchery order for a few female pekins or khakis? Anyone? lol. If you'd like some fall ducklings let me know! :)

1 person likes this.
  2. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom Chicken Obsessed

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    [​IMG] :(

3. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana
    If I had the brooder space I would be getting some. Now is a great time to raise up the young chicks and ducklings. I'm really wishing I had more brooder space, but more brooder space leads to wanting more coop space.
    We are working on our new coop but not fast enough. Thee weather is getting to us. We have part of the roof up but still need all of the walls and a door. The framing is 95% done. I'm sure the door will require a touch bit more framing and there are some smaller parts of framing on the roof left. We have fallen in love with a plastic roof from Lowes. That stuff is not cheap but it is comparable to plywood + felting + shingles and it will let in more light. It is also much faster to get in place than the 3 step traditional roof.

1 person likes this.
  4. danand

danand Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2013
    Westport In
    Kab- I'm soo sorry. We have all been there! It's a helpless feeling.

5. kabhyper1

kabhyper1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Thank you.

6. kabhyper1

They little guys are doing pretty good tonight. Wiping their beaks a lot in the bedding. It that normal?

7. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom Chicken Obsessed

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    All my kiddos wipe their beaks if they are wet or have any wet feed on them. Adults included.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  8. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana
    mine do it when they have something they don't want on the outside of their beak. The wet feed sometimes gets stuck to their beaks and that is when I notice it the most. you can lay newspaper down but they will peck holes in it until they can get to the chips.

9. kabhyper1

I though ti might mean a runny nose, but I don't see anything. Chance is eating like a champ and getting around really well. I think we caught it in time with him. I need to name the little blue one, I just can't think of anything lol. They are the only two in the brooder. I will hopefully have some new silkie babies tomorrow or Thursday. I was gonna sneak these two under my hen with the silkie eggs in the silkie coop after they hatch but she is already on 14 eggs lol.

10. Old Salt 1945

Old Salt 1945 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    Name him Babe, after Paul Bunyan's blue ox. [​IMG]

John

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by