INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Kabhyper~ I don't know anything, but I did wonder about all that dust flying around the chicks during dust bathing. You mentioned you had DE in the dust, I think, and sand-- was it Play sand or more coarse sand? In my "Chicken Health for Dummies" book, Causes of "Wry Neck" include poor hen nutrition (not likely) and a genetic trait. Another possibility causing respiratory issues is "Brooder Pneumonia" (Aspergillosis). To find out more, Google: Brooder Pneumonia Aspergillosis Good Luck! As far as antibiotics in general, the book says to make sure the med is labeled for chicken respiratory illness and that "products with erythromycin, tetracycline, or tylosin are good first-line antibiotic choices that are available at many feed stores."

Quote:
I didn't put DE in the sand . Just wood ash and our sand is just the construction sand that we always use in our coops. Never had an issue with it before. They have no discharge from their noses. Just breathing hard. Chance isn't breathing hard, he is just wobbly. The little white one was gasping warlier but isn't now. She may have aspirated her vitamins earlier. I bought duramycin-10. But haven't used it yet.

Now they are both laying flat out next to each other panting. It is only 80 in the brooder so i don't think they are hot. I don't think they are going to make it. Chance was running around this morning and was just scratching his butt in the video 20 minutes ago. now he can barely lift his head. What is this!!!! So frustrated.

Called flock vet. She says it is definintely respiratory. Eye droppered antibiotic to both that wont drink on their own. So I should probably treat every chicken I have shouldn't I? Since the LF flock comes into the barn to see the babies. I am going to treat mommas water and the other three little guys too. How long should I treat them for? They aren't doing much better, but I am hoping that the antibiotic/ vitamin/ electrolite water will help.

If this were me, I would not treat every chicken with antibiotic. Not at this time. That's just gut.

If they are drinking Duramycin-10 continuously in their water - 5 days at least but no more than 10. I hope it works!!!!!

Thanks Julie. I just treated the momma and babies since they were all together. I think silkies are more delicate. I will keep an eye out. I may treat the silkie coop since I heard my roo. wheeze a bit and I have chicks hatching this week in there.

I'm sorry racin
sad.png
. I lost my ducks yesterday too. Rough day. I love the brahmas as well. So sweet.

Sorry to hear abut the ducks. There are some mixed khaki duck eggs listed on ebay. I really want to try some duck eggs before deciding to rehome/ keep my ducks all winter. I'm hoping they start to lay close to Thanksgiving but I might have to keep them till spring to taste the eggs. But if it turns out I hate duck eggs, you will be the first person I try to get to take the ducks.

Last edited:
Well the little white one died in my hand. She was making a clicking noise when she breathed. Then she reared back like a seizure and died. I am heart broken. It was so fast. I think she had fluid in her lungs. Thank you all for your help. Just waiting to see how the other little one does.

Back
Top Bottom