INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. pginsber

pginsber Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    I understand your frustration as well as your complication. We designed & planned our shed/coop for 2 years because we kept complicating things with this or that idea. I spent hours researching details like feeder height, roost height, door size, etc. In the end, the girls eat and sleep wherever THEY want, not necessarily where I planned for them to. Isn't that how it is?
    Maybe you could give your pullets hammers?

2. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana

3. bradselig

bradselig Overrun With Chickens

Apr 29, 2012
    Warren, IN
    Moving around chickens today and gave this older silkie cockerel I need to find a new home for. Under 6 months old. I have too many silkie Roos so thus has to go. I love his color, but not sure what you would call it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also have this straight comb chick also needing a new home. Not sure of sex.
    [​IMG]

I'd really like to get rid of both soon as I have more chicks hatching and need the room. There is no charge for either.

4. SallyinIndiana

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana
    The little puff head on the right is adorable. I also reuse boxes from the mail for the chickens. So glad I'm not the only one.

5. bradselig

bradselig Overrun With Chickens

Apr 29, 2012
    Warren, IN
    If I didn't have to limit to just a couple colors, I would have kept the little blue. It is now with another forum member, so hopefully I'll get to see pics on how it develops. I bet it will be a looker!

1 person likes this.
  6. pbirdhaven

pbirdhaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    North Vernon IN
    Well, pooh. It hasn't been the best show on the circuit, but at least it was close by. So I guess the Blue Grass show next weekend is my last for the season unless I decide to travel to Knoxville in December. I missed the deadline for entries for the Ohio National; not too disappointed, looking forward to being a visitor and just looking and shopping. I have a list of what I'm looking for.

7. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom Chicken Obsessed

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    Wow. I like that coloration!

I really varies from broody to broody. Some won't keep them past a couple or 3 weeks. Others quite long.

When my girl was done with them the last time (which was waaayyyy long...around 9 weeks I think) she just one day went up on the roost at night and when the kiddos tried to hang with her she would peck them away. When she was done, she was done. Kind of a rude awakening for the kids, but they got the idea w/in a day that they were on their own.

I'll be interested to see how she does this time. She's been going up on the big roost and calling them to come up. So far they have come and sat on it during the day with her but haven't followed her up in the evening and she has come down to their corner. I'm hoping she teaches them to come up there at night and they get some protection a few times but we'll see. It's pretty hard to get on the roost when no one is protecting you when you're little.

But the last time they got the hang of that on their own.

1 person likes this.
  8. FarkerFarms

FarkerFarms Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2013
    Lebanon, Indiana
    Question, what do those of you with larger flocks do about water in the winter? I know there are several threads on the main forum on the subject, but they are all very small waterers. I would really like to find something that will hold at least a couple days worth of water. What do you guys use? Also, do you put the water inside/outside or both in the winter? I have had mine in both, but need to make a choice since I will have to run an extension cord out there and can't run two of them.

9. SallyinIndiana

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana
    I use several plastic ice cream bowls in the run and one of the metal 3 gallon on the inside. We fill several times a day and have to replace any cracked ice cream containers when the water freezes in the wrong way. I have a heat light aimed at the waterer in the coop plugged into a thermo cube outlet thing. I don't think I would want the birds drinking old water in the winter. too much dirt and litter gets into it when they don't spend as much time outside. once weather is somewhat warm, all water is moved outside for the larger birds but the babies can keep their water in their coop as they don't go outside right away. I do move the water around about once a week or so in the coop so that any spillage is not always in the same spot. I'm a bit unsure about what I plan to do for the duck water this year. I'm hoping the outside water will be good enough for their bills. The waterer in the coop is not deep at all.

10. Little Ameraucana Mom

Little Ameraucana Mom Need Help, Can't stop hatching!!!

Jul 8, 2008
    Greencastle, In
    At least yours does it. Can't get mine off the recliner !!! LOL !!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by