INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Little Ameraucana Mom

Little Ameraucana Mom Need Help, Can't stop hatching!!!

Jul 8, 2008
    Greencastle, In
    I like the rubber feed pans for horses, if the water freezed in it, you can just stomp on them and knock the ice iout. I don't use anything fancy, but I'm also home all day to make sure they always have water.

2. Little Ameraucana Mom

Jul 8, 2008
    Greencastle, In
    Judy, I'm hoping to just go and look around also. to many animals to be gone more then a day, but hoping to be able to show there one day !!

3. FarkerFarms

FarkerFarms Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2013
    Lebanon, Indiana
    Yes, that is the problem. I am just gone too long during the day! I would also like to keep chores easy in case I need a petsitter for some reason. With horses and dogs it is already hard to find someone who is capable of juggling the madness! Adding a difficult chicken regime to the fray is not ideal!

4. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    I had chickens about 5 years ago. They all got killed by coyotes. I then started raising them again 3 years ago. I had 16 then. I quickly expanded my flock within a few months I was up to 40. I had a few die here and there from preadotors. then in the spring some dogs attacked my flock or 47 (they attacked twice) I was down to 5 chickens. i am now back up to 67. I will probably always have right around 70. In spring I will probably have more come spring when I am growing out showing and breeding stock. then narrow back down to where I want to be. I have so many odds and ends right now it isnt even funny.

1 person likes this.
  5. danand

danand Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2013
    Westport In
    Farker- boy I hear that!! My DH txd me this morning and has to go for an interview out of state Nov 1st. So asked if I could go. And the problem is pet sitting for even 1 -1.5 days!! Between horses, dogs, chickens and fish it gets tricky!!

6. FarkerFarms

FarkerFarms Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2013
    Lebanon, Indiana
    Man! Maybe you should petsit for me and I can petsit for you (too bad we are about 3 hours apart!)! It is such a problem isn't it? Plus horses are SOOOOO delicate that I really want someone that will recognize if something is wrong! It is so hard to find someone that knows and is COMFORTABLE working with a variety of animals. Plus if things are too complex I risk them "forgetting" to feed or water someone.

7. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    I bought 2 and 1/2 gallons of unpaterized apple cider. Anf they told me that I could make Vinegar out of it. ANybody know how? google isnt helping out much.

8. Little Ameraucana Mom

Jul 8, 2008
    Greencastle, In
    How bout heated dog bowls???

9. pginsber

pginsber Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    Petsitter is CERTAINLY the limiting factor for us, too.
    We had 'normal' pet store variety pets and still found the petsitter situation daunting. When we added 7 chickens, and 3 newly hatched chicks I was beside myself to leave for vacation for a week.
    We have a good pet sitter, but I don't believe she knows anything about horses. We should definitely compile a PETSITTER resource list!

1 person likes this.
  10. Old Salt 1945

Old Salt 1945 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Lebanon, IN
    Probably the best way to inspire him is to jump in with him as "gopher". When working on something alone and having no deadline or boss pushing, it helps to have a helper that discourages loafing. When I work on something by myself, I can easily find reasons to put something off until next time. When I have a helper, I tend to not want to appear lazy.

Try it. It might work, but not if you are the first one to quit.

John

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by