INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. pipdzipdnreadytogo

pipdzipdnreadytogo Dorking Queen Premium Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop

:rolleyes: I can guarantee that both the string trick and holding the chicks on their backs will work about half the time.

There are a million of them. Hold the chick up by its beak, hold the chick's beak closed, hold something in front of the chick, hang the chick by its feet... I have heard them all and I have seen many, many, many reports of each and every one of them failing to work accurately. They should not be taken as a reliable way of sexing chicks, no matter what an 'expert' at it might say.

Hatching autosexing or sexlinked birds is the only way to know absolutely the sex of the chicks at hatch--even vent sexing can't be guaranteed beyond 90% accuracy. Other than that, because the time for both vent sexing and feather sexing has passed, you'll just have to wait it out. The sex of a chick can be determined between 4 and 6 weeks of age in most birds, a little later than that in some because of their breed or how they develop. The males shouldn't start crowing until long after that, so you can always post their pictures in a couple weeks and see then what you have.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
    4 people like this.
  2. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  3. MnMPoultry

MnMPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2012
    Paragon, IN
    Greetings, fellow Hoosiers!

It's been a long time since I've been active on this site. Between work, life, and everything else, I've been rather busy for about a year straight!

My name is Matthew, and I'm looking forward to getting in touch with a few old poultry friends and making a ton of new ones!

I've been raising poultry on my little min-farm for 5 years or so now, and I'm setting some things up to raise, breed, and preserve a few heritage breeds. Looking currently for Barred Rocks, Buckeyes, and RIR's from quality lines, if anyone knows of any secret flocks!

4. danand

danand Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2013
    Westport In
  5. gunchief25

gunchief25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2013
    Solsberry, Indiana
    Ok I have about a 7 month old RIR Pullet that I believe has gone broody. I have been finding her every day just sitting on 2 eggs and she will peck and bite when you go to take the eggs. I really dont want to mess with hatching chicks this late in the season. Should I just let her have a few eggs to sit on or will she be ok if I dont?

6. Kiniska

Kiniska Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2012
    English, Indiana
    Take it from a government worker. It isn't that we don't want to do a fantastic job and go above and beyond. It is usually the fact that doing so puts a huge neon target on your back. I have seen many an honest hard worker given the shaft. Often because the bosses are worried they may actually accomplish something. The higher up the pay grade you get in the system the less actual work, the more political hob bobbing, and the more keeping the underlings in their place one does.

1 person likes this.
  7. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana

8. Kiniska

Kiniska Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2012
    English, Indiana
    My husband is unfortunately dealing with that right now. It is true, the private sector is not really any better.

9. racinchickins

racinchickins Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2013
    Mooresville IN
    Welcome from just North of you! There are several of us getting into Heritage breeds as well. We'll definitely let you know if we run across something.

10. jchny2000

jchny2000 Goslings are precious!

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    Both good posts! I plan to use the cinder block idea this year.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by