INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Ok I have about a 7 month old RIR Pullet that I believe has gone broody. I have been finding her every day just sitting on 2 eggs and she will peck and bite when you go to take the eggs. I really dont want to mess with hatching chicks this late in the season. Should I just let her have a few eggs to sit on or will she be ok if I dont?
anyone?

Quote: I would fix the cav up. Speaking as one who fixed hunted down a specific chevy then repaired it when it got totaled, not by me. And even replaced it after it was hit a second time only to fix the replacement from a total loss twice before finally foolishly selling it. I can't count the number of times I have wished for that car to be mine again. And i was not even driving the car any of the times it got totaled. Each of the cars got hit hard in a parking lot at different times of course.
But 1990 was a nice year for the chevy and you got a great model. I don't know about the perfect color but it would be hard to find a good working reliable car for $1300. I know because our junky car keeps needing repairs and I occasionally price out a new junky road car. Of course you might not be looking for a family size car so maybe they would be a touch cheaper but typically the cooler the car looks the more it costs.

Quote: I would let her have 2-3 eggs and hope one hatched so she could mother the chick and eventually start laying eggs again. OR you can hang her in a cage like a tweety bird in the coop and hope to break her of her broodyness. But if the broodyness is left untreated with no eggs to hatch the bird might starve or at least that is what i have read.

I would fix the cav up. Speaking as one who fixed hunted down a specific chevy then repaired it when it got totaled, not by me. And even replaced it after it was hit a second time only to fix the replacement from a total loss twice before finally foolishly selling it. I can't count the number of times I have wished for that car to be mine again. And i was not even driving the car any of the times it got totaled. Each of the cars got hit hard in a parking lot at different times of course.
But 1990 was a nice year for the chevy and you got a great model. I don't know about the perfect color but it would be hard to find a good working reliable car for $1300. I know because our junky car keeps needing repairs and I occasionally price out a new junky road car. Of course you might not be looking for a family size car so maybe they would be a touch cheaper but typically the cooler the car looks the more it costs.

I would let her have 2-3 eggs and hope one hatched so she could mother the chick and eventually start laying eggs again. OR you can hang her in a cage like a tweety bird in the coop and hope to break her of her broodyness. But if the broodyness is left untreated with no eggs to hatch the bird might starve or at least that is what i have read.
ok I guess I will just leave what ever eggs are under her today and let her do her thing. Thanks.
thumbsup.gif

Yes a kart track around the chickens/turkeys would be great out there! They'd love it, and want some rides! There was a blurb on the local news last night about the Wheldon Challenge. Makes me feel even more intimidated.

Oh, if anybody sees any 205/55R16 Potenza RE 970 tires for sale, with rims, please let me know. We were out of town from Monday about 11 AM until Tuesday evening 9 PM. Our winter car got stolen, (classic 1990 Cavalier Z24, lol) they then abandoned the car minus the wheels, stereo, mini-spare tire(!), jack, subwoofer and trashed the steering column. The car is now at the impound lot, it's not worth it to me to spend the ~$1300 to get it back together. I don't think, gotta make a decision quickly.

Anybody have a cheap reliable car for sale? Don't want to drive the Trans Am this winter, and the '68 drop top Le Mans isn't coming out either. The DW has a Trailblazer, but she needs it during the day.
It is awfully hard to find reliable transportation for $1300, unless you have a grandmother giving up her car. That's what my kids did - twice. Usually a $1300 car has no muffler, has a bungee cord holding down the trunk lid, has a view of the highway between your feet, drinks oil thirstily, needs a new engine, and/or has the hood held down with a chain and lock. We have had that car, too. ;- )

ok I guess I will just leave what ever eggs are under her today and let her do her thing.  Thanks.  :thumbsup
If you don't want chicks, then I would continue to remove them from her. I've had a good number of broodies and never let them hatch eggs. When I go out to collect eggs, I just toss them off the nest. They tend to go eat and drink and when I leave the coop and come back, they are right back in the nests box. About a month later, they are off the nest box and back to normal.

If you don't want chicks, then I would continue to remove them from her. I've had a good number of broodies and never let them hatch eggs. When I go out to collect eggs, I just toss them off the nest. They tend to go eat and drink and when I leave the coop and come back, they are right back in the nests box. About a month later, they are off the nest box and back to normal.

I will give it all some thought and maybe by the time I collect this evening I might just let her sit on a few. Might be fun for my 2 daughters to have a couple of baby chicks hatch.

I'm excited. Went on a road trip last night to pick up a Sportsman cabinet incubator I found on CraigsList.

Now for the hard part. I need to keep telling myself:

I will NOT set any eggs until spring. I will NOT set any eggs until spring. I will NOT set any eggs until spring. Oooh look, eggs on ebay.
droolin.gif
I will NOT set any eggs until spring.........
he.gif

(unless my CCLs start laying...
jumpy.gif
)

Back
Top Bottom