INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. DarthLayer

DarthLayer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2013
    Indiana
    Its a little late to post this since today is almost over, but today we got our first frost. This is my favorite time of the year :)

Info on Lola:
    My parents agreed we can take her and curly to a vet to be put down. I had it planned for this week but it was hard because my grandma past last week sunday. But today yet again Lola surprised me! After school I go outside to give them more food and water and Lola is standing and walking again! She doesn't sleep on the roost but the ducks keep her company at night so she stays warm. I'm not sure though if I want to put her down if she's recovering so I really don't know what I should do :/

2. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana
    I have 2 Heritage RIR roosters available from the Ron Fogle line. The older one (29.5 wks) is $30 The younger one (25.5 wks) is $25. I won't have any hens for a while though.
    Having gone through this with 2 hens at different times, I vote for putting her down. hard as it may be, I found out in both cases that the hen could not recover. The first case I really let go on too long and the heat finally did the culling in the summer. This most recent hen had a upper leg / hip injury and again I let it go for too long, by the time I finally admitted she had to be put down, she had lost way too much weight. She had been pretending to eat and hiding the food.

3. jchny2000

jchny2000 Goslings are precious!

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA

4. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    [​IMG] and our thread! [​IMG]
    If you look to the bottom of my post, theres a link for our member list

5. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA
    ugh, double post

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  6. Mother2Hens

Mother2Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    Evansville/Vanderburgh County Poultry Ordinances
    I forgot to mention the best information that I learned last night when HouseKat and I attended the chicken presentation at the library. I knew that if you live in Evansville, you can only have 6 animals, so if you have 2 dogs you can only have 4 chickens, and they all have to be registered. A chicken coop must be 50 ft. from the neighbor's house. I live a mile outside the city limits and I could not find the ordinance, nor did I want to call attention to myself by asking county officials. Last night, I found out that I can have as many chickens as I want! (or as many chickens as I can get by with before DH files for divorce!) The only restriction in the county is if a person lives in a subdivision with a neighborhood association that forbids chickens. Luckily, my subdivision does not. I am so excited to make my shopping list! Or at least, be able to dream. [​IMG]

pginsber~ My daughter lives a mile from downtown Indy and her neighbor has a rooster. I assume you must have a neighborhood association. As far as sexing your RIRs, our first chicks purchased as pullets a year ago were six RIRs, and by month five, we started commenting that our one pullet looked really strange next to our other pullets with their long shiny green tail feathers! Duh! Needless to say, we had no prior experience with chickens.
    toodlesmom posted: Oh, believe me, my brother is not working for free! He is a skilled finish carpenter and is charging me the full hourly rate he charges his other customers. No family discount here. And he is a prima donna who always works alone. Currently, we are his full-time job, as he is also working on remodeling our house. Argh. I have lined up heritage pullets for a coop that was supposed to be done weeks ago. I am afraid the sellers will change their minds if I keep asking them to wait. I'm kind of in a Catch 22. Hiring someone else would make for very bad family feelings - Christmas could be ugly. But, having my brother work for us may cause me to lose my chickens, and it is turning my hair gray.
    toodlesmom~ That is a "****** if you do, ****** if you don't" situation! House remodeling is enough stress to make everyone crazy. Maybe if you put the pullets in a cage next to where he's working in the house, then he'll smell the urgency of finishing the coop. [​IMG]
    My DH and I have decided to consult Angie's List for a carpenter or buy a ready-made coop for now.
    Don't get me started on Angie's List! It is just a bogus as regular online "customer" ratings. People easily plant fake ratings for friends' businesses. The company also pressures businesses into joining Angie's List through fear of retribution. Reminds me of organized crime tactics. [​IMG]
    Thanks for letting me vent! [​IMG]

7. Mother2Hens

Mother2Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    kkelsh ~ Welcome to the Indiana Thread!
    Please go to page 1584, post 15838 to find info about this thread.
    Originally Posted by MnMPoultry [​IMG]
    Greetings, fellow Hoosiers!
    It's been a long time since I've been active on this site. Between work, life, and everything else, I've been rather busy for about a year straight!
    My name is Matthew, and I'm looking forward to getting in touch with a few old poultry friends and making a ton of new ones!
    I've been raising poultry on my little min-farm for 5 years or so now, and I'm setting some things up to raise, breed, and preserve a few heritage breeds. Looking currently for Barred Rocks, Buckeyes, and RIR's from quality lines, if anyone knows of any secret flocks!

MnMPoultry ~ Welcome to the Indiana Thread!
    Please go to page 1584, post 15838 to find info about this thread.
    Darth- Good to hear from you. So sorry to hear about your grandmother! You've had a rough time. As far as your chickens, I would be hopeful about Lola, too, but isn't she the cornish that probably doesn't have a good outlook? I would think that your vet might give you a better deal if you brought both in at once. I know it's hard because I held out hope for my Violet, but in hindsight, I shouldn't have prolonged her life so long because it wasn't a good life for a chicken and it wasn't good for Adeline to have to be Violet's kennel buddy for so long. It was horrible to have Violet put to sleep, but it was a relief in many ways. [​IMG]Keep in touch because this thread helped me so much when I was going through that. Only Indiana BYCers understand the love of a pet chicken!

8. toodlesmom

toodlesmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2013
    So very sorry to hear that you lost your grandmother. That must be very hard for you. I lost mine 13 years ago when she was almost 101, and I still miss her every day. Grandmothers are so special.

That Lola! She has a lot of heart! The vet would be the best person to advise you. He/she should be asked to evaluate both of the chickens before putting them down. Maybe there is a little hope for Lola yet.

9. jchny2000

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  10. Too Fast

Too Fast Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis IN
    Yes a kart track around the chickens/turkeys would be great out there! They'd love it, and want some rides! There was a blurb on the local news last night about the Wheldon Challenge. Makes me feel even more intimidated.

Oh, if anybody sees any 205/55R16 Potenza RE 970 tires for sale, with rims, please let me know. We were out of town from Monday about 11 AM until Tuesday evening 9 PM. Our winter car got stolen, (classic 1990 Cavalier Z24, lol) they then abandoned the car minus the wheels, stereo, mini-spare tire(!), jack, subwoofer and trashed the steering column. The car is now at the impound lot, it's not worth it to me to spend the ~$1300 to get it back together. I don't think, gotta make a decision quickly.

Anybody have a cheap reliable car for sale? Don't want to drive the Trans Am this winter, and the '68 drop top Le Mans isn't coming out either. The DW has a Trailblazer, but she needs it during the day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by