INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

[COLOR=006400]pipd[/COLOR] [COLOR=8B4513]~ I just have a small, flat panel radiant heater. And a small flat screen TV. jk [/COLOR];) [rule][COLOR=A52A2A]Electric Cords[/COLOR] Sally in Indiana posted: [COLOR=333333]I'll chime in on the cords. The pan fry roosters I got from Meyer hatchery ate an outdoor grade extension cord about 6 inches of it. We had the cord buried about 3 inches under ground but that did not matter those roosters still found it and pecked away. Now we have the new cord running through a PVC pipe that just sits on the ground. easier than burying a new cord and hopefully chicken proof.[/COLOR] [COLOR=0000CD]Sally in Indiana[/COLOR] [COLOR=8B4513]~ I've read about using PVC pipe to protect electric cords. It sounds like a good idea. If your roosters chewed up your former extension cord, then some birds might chew up led rope lighting that some members have discussed using to provide light in dark coops. That's one more thing for members to "chew on." [/COLOR]:p [rule][COLOR=A52A2A]Vaseline or "Pam Spray" on Combs & Waddles[/COLOR] [COLOR=8B4513]The other day there was a discussion about protecting combs and waddles (and feet and legs) from winter weather. A couple of people mentioned that Pam spray oil is handy to use. Something about that concerned me because when I had bought some before for cooking, I noticed that it created a big cloud when I just sprayed a small pan. I looked up some info and found this info below. Again, I am neither trying to create a debate nor insisting that someone do things my way, I am just presenting information. [/COLOR]:duc Cooking sprays contain additives like soy lecithin, mono and diglycerides, dimethylpolysiloxane, dimethyl silicone, or artificial flavors. The long term effects of ingesting these chemicals as well as inhaling the particles and vapors of additives and artificial ingredients are still unknown. Cooking sprays contain unspecified propellants, usually nitrous oxide. Nitrous oxide is a greenhouse gas.

Cooking sprays contain genetically modified ingredients. GMOs are derived from genetically modified seeds, which have been altered so that growers can use more pesticides (without killing the plant itself) and therefore yield more crops. GM foods contain markedly higher levels of pesticides than conventional crops, increasing the risks of these already dangerous chemicals. According the American Academy of Environmental Medicine, animal studies have repeatedly shown serious health risks including infertility, auto-immune disorders, diabetes, and changes in major organs including the gastrointestinal system. [rule][COLOR=A52A2A]As long as I am playing the role of Henny Penny -- "The Sky is Falling!" . . .[/COLOR] [COLOR=8B4513]Here's one more thing that happened a couple of weeks ago when it was warm outside. I had not used my self-cleaning oven feature for a while and with the holidays coming up, I decided to do that since I could air out the fumes through the large screen door between the kitchen area and the outside deck. Luckily, I read the manual since it had been awhile. I was shocked to read, "Warning, fumes from self-cleaning cycle can be harmful or deadly to birds." Whaaaat? I'm sure they meant a parakeet in a cage, but considering the chickens hang out on the deck, it could have affected them. When I did some more reading, I found that birds are extremely sensitive to fumes-- another one being fumes from Teflon pans, which relates to Pipd's comment about Teflon coated bulbs. [/COLOR]
Yup birds in general have very sensitive respiratory systems. When I had my parrot, I really watched what I used and all my cleaning chemicals became organic cleaners. Never used Teflon cookware either. I have read that the Teflon has to be heated up to pretty hot temps before dangerous fumes are emitted, but I still didn't want to take the risk.

Quote:
My HRIR roosters are quite large. Friendly too. Brad's would be a nice addition to a laying flock if you decided not to make breeders of them.
Exactly my thought! I have too many linked to the oldest Roo, Red. Need to add more unrelated roos to the hens.

when do you plan to incubate next? I could loan you a Fogle RIR rooster. I have 3 but am still waiting on them to mature more. At least one is mating but the hens same age are not laying yet.
Come next fall I'll be looking for a breeding buddy. Someone that wants to have Fogle RIR birds and breed to standards best they can. Then we are backups for each other in case something happens to our breeding chickens or if one of us feels their group needs fresh blood from the same line. Just planting the idea now for you or any other chicken hatching person out there. I can't even begin to set eggs yet so it is a longs way off.

adding a picture of one of my HRIR roos.

WOW he is the deep mahogany color, I just love that!
We go Monday to talk to my Dads surgeon. After that I will know my timelines, and be more comfortable planning.
I like the idea, I would set up a separate pen for them. By spring things will be better set up.
DH and I are laying plans out to do a kennel style breeding pen arrangement for the heritage breeds.
He picked up a huge roll of 6 foot chain link, and a pallet of T-post at an auction.
yesss.gif

I want outside egg access to the coop, and each run accessible separately.
Focusing on my Lavenders, Australorp, Polish, BCM and am looking for HBR.
Considering the silver penciled rocks, they are striking to look at!
Any of the rocks have been a great bird for us. Good layers and sweet birds.
My other 2 "wish list" breeds are coronation sussex and true Ameraucana.
Turkeys, guineas and possibly pheasant this year. I probably left something out..
Going to get a game breeder permit for raising bobwhites and pheasant.
Still keeping my Chinese, African and Embden geese, Pekin and Muscovy ducks.
My peafowl will be barn residents, but have free range during the day. they need high roosts for the train. barn peak is 38 feet, that oughta do it
lau.gif

So I will need to look into the rope placement and the roosting bar height. I know for now there is a nice area where I could put some that the chickens would not be able to peck while roosting but I was going to put some above the roosting area too. I will need to see how that works with any higher roosting bars I plan to add. Right now I have low roosting bars.

Quote: Agreed on the bleach bath, it was what we used to disinfect the animal shelter daily between the animals coming and going.
Important to be sure its thoroughly DRY and if possible in the sunlight. Sunlight helps dissipate the chlorine. You should not smell bleach once it dries.
This is what I was taught at ACO school but applies to domestics (dogs, cats etc) but a practice I have always followed.
Try a search like "will bleach kill mareks or CRD" i think is a chronic respiratory disease for example.
I have never bought a used coop, we always built/added a new one, not sure I would unless i knew the person.
I am paranoid with so many birds tho, terrified of some of the major things that could wipe out your flock.

If only Greencastle was on the way. I would be doing my best to get in contact with the blue sumatra breeder. Instead I will continue to procrastinate.
SallyinIndiana ~ Is the Sumatra in Greencastle? It's really not out of the way if you want me to pick it up and drop it off in Bargersville.
If anyone else wants something picked up or delivered or wants some of jchny/Janets GLW pullets, Just let me know.

I'd be happy to hatch you some Cochins!
bradselig ~ I'm sure you could take orders from several on this thread. I'm trying to be logical and wait until spring. But . . . if it takes a group effort for you to hatch, I would like two girl chicks, one frizzle, one regular. One blue, one lavender. Surely with all of your experience you can make that happen.
big_smile.png

CHICKEN DELIVERY SERVICE
I'll be in Indy on Wednesday the 20th and will head back to Evansville on Thursday the 21st. I don't mind taking different routes, so if anyone would like me to deliver chickens, just let me know. I am flexible.
I got the address from the show papers. I still need to work on getting in touch with them. I think I remember someone on here posting that they knew them so I might be able to get a phone number. Off to search posts and such. Once I know more I can message you. Thank you.

Yup birds in general have very sensitive respiratory systems. When I had my parrot, I really watched what I used and all my cleaning chemicals became organic cleaners. Never used Teflon cookware either. I have read that the Teflon has to be heated up to pretty hot temps before dangerous fumes are emitted, but I still didn't want to take the risk.
Oh my god you had a parrot! I am still so upset from watching "Parrot Confidential" on PBS last night. How long did you have yours and what happened to it?

[COLOR=8B4513]Oh my god you had a parrot! I am still so upset from watching "Parrot Confidential" on PBS last night. How long did you have yours and what happened to it? [/COLOR]
Yes I had an African grey. I got him when he was around 9 yrs old from an older couple who's health was declining and couldn't care for him anymore. He was a good parrot and had him for about 3 years. He had his cage for when I was gone and sleeping, his play stand for when I was home, and his outdoor aviary for when it was nice out. Before going to work, I forgot to put him back in his cage from his play stand. I came home to him killed by my dogs. He honestly never left his play stand unless I took him off or he got spooked. I came home to the top perch on the play stand knocked off (it is usually about 5 ft above ground so my dogs can't reach it) and his body lifeless in the other room. I can only speculate that the perch fell off and scared him. He was a good bird. He had his "issues" such as picky about foods (would not eat his veggies!) or wouldn't let you touch his tail, but overall a very good bird and companion! When I have more time, I will be getting another parrot, either another African grey or a rose breasted cockatoo.
SN851311.jpg

Last edited:
Yes I had an African grey. I got him when he was around 9 yrs old from an older couple who's health was declining and couldn't care for him anymore. He was a good parrot and had him for about 3 years. He had his cage for when I was gone and sleeping, his play stand for when I was home, and his outdoor aviary for when it was nice out. Before going to work, I forgot to put him back in his cage from his play stand. I came home to him killed by my dogs. He honestly never left his play stand unless I took him off or he got spooked. I came home to the top perch on the play stand knocked off (it is usually about 5 ft above ground so my dogs can't reach it) and his body lifeless in the other room. I can only speculate that the perch fell off and scared him. He was a good bird. He had his "issues" such as picky about foods (would not eat his veggies!) or wouldn't let you touch his tail, but overall a very good bird and companion! When I have more time, I will be getting another parrot, either another African grey or a rose breasted cockatoo.
SN851311.jpg

Awww that's a pretty bird. I am so sorry to hear about that.
You really should see that documentary. You might considering adopting TWO from a sanctuary.

I just wish there was a law to prevent new parrots from being hatched as pets or stolen for new pets. There are thousands of abandoned ones in the US that need homes for two at a time. One thing I wondered about that they didn't address is why can't they do some type of spay/neuter/hormone procedure since it seems that once they need a mate for life, that's when they become so possessive and full of anxiety since they usually are kept as single pets in a home instead of with a lifetime mate in a rainforest. Apparently there's nothing that can be done about that or they would have done something. I'm wondering if you know why since you worked with a vet.

Back
Top Bottom