INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Quote: I used to work with a bird rescue occasionally over in valpo, and took our unclaimed birds to them for rehoming.
I can see how they bond to a single person. Sad story-
My mom had always wanted a parrot. Mom had finches, parakeets etc the whole time I was growing up.
So we went to visit them. They had none (surprised) But did have a sun conure. His name was Charlie.
Mom just loved him! Charlie took to her immediately. So she adopted him. Beautiful, lively bird!
When Mom gave him a shower, he would sing to her,"laaalaaaalaaa" too cute.
He also said "hello charlie" and "goodbye charlie". oh and "JERK!" at people he disliked.
He was also in love with my mom, dare you not approach HIS beloved Mommy!
She would come home from work and he would go insane until he was allowed out, but forget his perch.
He parked himself on her arm or shoulder. He was smart and funny, but hated my Dad.
Dad has a gentle soul and wouldn't harm anything, never understood it.
Flew at him screaming "JERK" anytime Dad was around. Last straw was when he flew on him and took a chunk off his ear!
So Charlie was caged when Dad was home, oh my not happening! It sounded like you were killing him, poor baby.
Dad was fed up. It was finally Charlie aka the attack bird
hide.gif
or Dad.. Dad won lol. He was returned to the bird rescue.
I really wanted to keep him myself but my X would never had went for it.

[COLOR=8B4513]Awww  that's a pretty bird. I am so sorry to hear about that.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=8B4513]You really should see that documentary. You might considering adopting TWO from a sanctuary. [/COLOR]
[COLOR=8B4513]I just wish there was a law to prevent new parrots from being hatched as pets or stolen for new pets. There are thousands of abandoned ones in the US that need homes for two at a time. One thing I wondered about that they didn't address is why can't they do some type of spay/neuter/hormone procedure since it seems that once they need a mate for life, that's when they become so possessive and full of anxiety since they usually are kept as single pets in a home instead of with a lifetime mate in a rainforest. Apparently there's nothing that can be done about that or they would have done something. I'm wondering if you know why since you worked with a vet. [/COLOR]
I didn't think that all parrot species mate for life. I personally wouldn't house more than 1 parrot together unless my intent was to breed. For a companion, I want them to bond with me. Owning a parrot is not for everyone, but neither are dogs, chickens, horses, monkeys, etc. IMO, it all boils down to people not researching the needs of the animals and want them because they are "cool" or more of a social status.

Based off what you have said, I think the documentary showed the extreme side to captive parrots. My bird was past the age for becoming sexually mature (typically the time when their behavior changes the most), yet didn't exhibit any of the behaviors you talk about. While we did bond, he was still social and would go to anyone. I truly feel its the same with any animal and socialization and training is key to having a well balanced animal. If you don't privide proper mental and physical stimulation for a dog, you will also end up with a mess just as you would with a parrot.

As far as sterilizing a bird, I know a rooster can be canonized, but never really heard about it being done on parrots. The vet I worked for was strictly companion animals (dogs, cats, horses) and large animals (cows, goats, pigs, ect). They didn't get into exotics except the occasion zebra, wallaby, deer, etc. They wanted nothing to do with reptiles or birds though.

Quote: Caponizing used to be a common thing for roos to create a HUGE bird.
Read about it, kinda crazy but seemed to be a good idea before CXs.
Veterinary medicine is such a widespread field. I really wanted to be a vet, it was my "dream job".
Getting married and having a family changed that a little tho, it takes several years.
You really have to have a love of animals and understand body language of each individual species.
Just amazing how much there is to learn and what we don't even know!
Reptiles are like birds, even harder to find a veterinarian that will see them.

[COLOR=006400]pipd[/COLOR] [COLOR=8B4513]~ I just have a small, flat panel radiant heater. And a small flat screen TV. jk [/COLOR];) [rule][COLOR=A52A2A]Electric Cords[/COLOR] Sally in Indiana posted: [COLOR=333333]I'll chime in on the cords. The pan fry roosters I got from Meyer hatchery ate an outdoor grade extension cord about 6 inches of it. We had the cord buried about 3 inches under ground but that did not matter those roosters still found it and pecked away. Now we have the new cord running through a PVC pipe that just sits on the ground. easier than burying a new cord and hopefully chicken proof.[/COLOR] [COLOR=0000CD]Sally in Indiana[/COLOR] [COLOR=8B4513]~ I've read about using PVC pipe to protect electric cords. It sounds like a good idea. If your roosters chewed up your former extension cord, then some birds might chew up led rope lighting that some members have discussed using to provide light in dark coops. That's one more thing for members to "chew on." [/COLOR]:p [rule][COLOR=A52A2A]Vaseline or "Pam Spray" on Combs & Waddles[/COLOR] [COLOR=8B4513]The other day there was a discussion about protecting combs and waddles (and feet and legs) from winter weather. A couple of people mentioned that Pam spray oil is handy to use. Something about that concerned me because when I had bought some before for cooking, I noticed that it created a big cloud when I just sprayed a small pan. I looked up some info and found this info below. Again, I am neither trying to create a debate nor insisting that someone do things my way, I am just presenting information. [/COLOR]:duc Cooking sprays contain additives like soy lecithin, mono and diglycerides, dimethylpolysiloxane, dimethyl silicone, or artificial flavors. The long term effects of ingesting these chemicals as well as inhaling the particles and vapors of additives and artificial ingredients are still unknown. Cooking sprays contain unspecified propellants, usually nitrous oxide. Nitrous oxide is a greenhouse gas.

Cooking sprays contain genetically modified ingredients. GMOs are derived from genetically modified seeds, which have been altered so that growers can use more pesticides (without killing the plant itself) and therefore yield more crops. GM foods contain markedly higher levels of pesticides than conventional crops, increasing the risks of these already dangerous chemicals. According the American Academy of Environmental Medicine, animal studies have repeatedly shown serious health risks including infertility, auto-immune disorders, diabetes, and changes in major organs including the gastrointestinal system. [rule][COLOR=A52A2A]As long as I am playing the role of Henny Penny -- "The Sky is Falling!" . . .[/COLOR] [COLOR=8B4513]Here's one more thing that happened a couple of weeks ago when it was warm outside. I had not used my self-cleaning oven feature for a while and with the holidays coming up, I decided to do that since I could air out the fumes through the large screen door between the kitchen area and the outside deck. Luckily, I read the manual since it had been awhile. I was shocked to read, "Warning, fumes from self-cleaning cycle can be harmful or deadly to birds." Whaaaat? I'm sure they meant a parakeet in a cage, but considering the chickens hang out on the deck, it could have affected them. When I did some more reading, I found that birds are extremely sensitive to fumes-- another one being fumes from Teflon pans, which relates to Pipd's comment about Teflon coated bulbs. [/COLOR]
I've been using refillable oil sprayers! They are awesome, cost around $10 online and you can fill them with any kind of oil. Excellent alternative!

Good news were getting our gas turned back on its been 3 years that is been off but Tuesday we get it back on I'm so excited no more heaters
big_smile.png

We turned our gas off a few yrs back. We have an HVAC now. It works fine but there are times I sit really close to my space heater. I love that thing. If they were not so dangerous I would have a couple more located in spots I like to read or be still for long periods of time.

I finally did it, I got in contact with the Blue Sumatra breeder in Indiana. His birds are great and have a wonderful color. The downside, like all of the RIR breeders he does not have any for sale right now. So I'll call back in the spring.

Mandy, thanks for your long post! It was very helpful! I guess I am surprised that something would survive a bleach bath but I guess nooks and crannies would be a problem.

Others? What are your thoughts on used? The used coop is only a year old I can't remember if it was painted inside.
Call the previous owner and ask if there was rampant death and destruction.

Chicken disease, although real, is like child disease. You can drive yourself completely nuts over it.

Take reasonable precautions, but don't get all "wrapped around the axle" over it.

Scrape off the crud. Hose it down. If so inclined, spray with bleach solution (ounce or two in gallon of water). Let dry until you can no longer smell the bleach. If so inclined, spray with a garden variety bug spray (Sevin, permethrin, or the like).

When dry, use it with non-valuable chickens. After a couple of months, place a "Seal of Dex Holla Approval" tag on it.

John

Back
Top Bottom