INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

We’ve been having lots of wind, dark clouds, and intermittent light rain for hours, and suddenly it is very sunny and the sky is blue! Somehow it seems more unsettling than having a dark sky. Very weird.

Originally Posted by SallyinIndiana
SallyinIndiana ~ Maybe you could install an escalator and one of those green EXIT signs. :lol: Btw, your HRIR eggs are definitely bigger than my RK RIR Nene’s eggs! Your HRIR egg looks more like my BR Tweedy’s eggs. Here a pic of my BR’s egg on the left and my RIR’s on the right. Nene is a smaller chicken than Tweedy, which could be an egg size factor. They’re my only two layers right now because of molting, shorter days, etc. Nene lays every day and Tweedy has slowed to every other day. The color is quite right in the photo-- Nene’s egg is actually lighter and pinker.

pipd ~ Wow -- a two-toned egg shell! How pretty. It reminds me of fancy wrapping paper that has a different pattern on each side so when the package is opened, it is just as pretty on the inside. That’s very important, you know. Haha
wink.png

Leah’s Mom ~ We’ll try not to post as often while you’re away.
gig.gif
Have a safe trip!
CRSelvey ~ You're on the ball to have all of your winter preparations complete! Maybe if I spent less time yammering on this thread, I could have my projects done. If your roo PB straightened up when you inverted him, it sounds like that was an effective treatment. Just “repeat as necessary.” I would think that since he’s an EE, it would be easier to modify his urge to attack behavior. Btw, I am a chocoholic, too. Maybe if someone held us upside down by our feet, it would modify our urge to eat chocolate behavior!
tongue.png

yea it was supposed to be really bad now it looks like it might rain for an hour and then get nice.Considering it is 65 today this could actually turn out to be the best day of the week!
root beer float ~ Welcome to the Indiana Thread! I like your avatar-- I have a similar looking kitty. What kind/how many chickens to you have?

We've had several new people posting this past week, so here's some info for everyone:

Do you want to be listed on the BYC Indiana Members’ List?
“Being a member of this thread” just means adding your screen name and flock info, which can be helpful because the list is a spreadsheet format that lets you sort the list by breed, county, or other category. It’s an easy way to find other members who have the same breed you have or who live in a nearby county, etc.

Click on the link below my signature to view the list. Just look at the bottom of the list page for sorting options.

If you’d like to be added, send me a PM (personal message) by simply placing your cursor over my screen name: Mother2Hens, and you will see “Send a PM.” A personal message ensures that your info is added. Please send your screen name, county, and city. Also include the following information about each member of your flock: List each species (chicken, duck, etc.), breed (Barred Rock, Blue Cochin, etc.), is it a LF (Large Fowl) or Bantam? If you breed, please include the species. bradselig actually adds the info, so you can PM him directly, too-- whatever is the easiest for you. if you have any questions about this thread, please PM Jchny2000 (Janet) who is the founder (thread starter) of this group. Others on our volunteer committee are helping to help~ Quinstar, vickichicki, and CluckAcres.

Indiana County Map for instant member location/Avatars
If anyone would like a map of your county, like the one on my avatar, I will be happy to provide one. If someone wants a combo map and a chicken or an animal for your avatar, I can put that together for you, just PM me. When I read posts, many times I think “Now where are they from?” I look at the city and still have no idea what part of the state they’re from. The map icon with the county in red because you could quickly glance and see where the member who is posting is from. These avatars are not required-- they are just a free service if you’re interested.

If members would like me to change the photo(s) on their avatars, just PM me. Someone might have a picture of a chick that has grown into a hen (or a roo!) and would like to update the photo or someone might like something totally different.

BYC Indiana Google Map for detailed information
Cluck Acres (Curtis) set up a Google Map for just us INDIANA BYC’ers. You must first log on to your Google account or make a Google account. (If you have gmail, just use your gmail password). All you have to do is go to this link....http://goo.gl/maps/UShV6 . Here are the directions. You will see the state of Indiana.. Zoom in to where you live and then click on the red button that says Edit. After you click Edit you will see a hand, blue pin point and a zig zag line on the map. Click the pin point and drag it to where you live on the map. After you have placed your pin point then click on it and you can edit your description by adding your county. If you want to change your blue pin point to another icon or upload your own then up on the right of that box click the pin point icon and choose others or upload your own icon. If anyone has problems with this feel free to ask.

This information is submitted periodically by Mother2Hens

Wow what a storm. Just as I wss leaving work when it hit. I was in my car and when I saw truck topper flying off and shed displays plowing into cars I knew it was time to go back inside the store.

Came home to no power, some siding blown off, and a dog house blown several hundred feet into the field. Thankfully no chickens in that one yet. Overall very fortunate! Hope everyone else makes it out ok as well.

Hope you all stayed safe! Things got nasty here for a bit, but I know we missed the worst of it by far. Waiting for return of power . Praying for safety for everyone and their furred and feathered companions!

Wow what a storm. Just as I wss leaving work when it hit. I was in my car and when I saw truck topper flying off and shed displays plowing into cars I knew it was time to go back inside the store.

Came home to no power, some siding blown off, and a dog house blown several hundred feet into the field. Thankfully no chickens in that one yet. Overall very fortunate! Hope everyone else makes it out ok as well.

Hoping your eggs are still growing.

I also hope all is well with John and others in Lebanon.

The strong winds moved our boxed hoop coop. That thing was murder to move all summer long and then today the wind just moves it no problems. And we had just moved it to its winter location this morning.

Do you think Lowes will clearance off those sheds? I can think of quite a few good uses for a shed. It might be worth the drive, if there was one that would make a nice goat stall with some space to store goat food and stuff. I've been thinking of goats for so long but I need things like a shed and fence to come in place first.

[COLOR=006400]SallyinIndiana[/COLOR] ~ Maybe you could install an escalator and one of those green EXIT signs. :lol: Btw, your HRIR eggs are definitely bigger than my RK RIR Nene’s eggs! Your HRIR egg looks more like my BR Tweedy’s eggs. Here a pic of my BR’s egg on the left and my RIR’s on the right. Nene is a smaller chicken than Tweedy, which could be an egg size factor. They’re my only two layers right now because of molting, shorter days, etc. Nene lays every day and Tweedy has slowed to every other day. The color is quite right in the photo-- Nene’s egg is actually lighter and pinker. [rule][COLOR=4B0082]pipd[/COLOR] ~ [COLOR=8B4513]Wow -- a two-toned egg shell! How pretty. It reminds me of fancy wrapping paper that has a different pattern on each side so when the package is opened, it is just as pretty on the inside. That’s very important, you know. Haha [/COLOR];) [rule][COLOR=000080]Leah’s Mom[/COLOR] ~ [COLOR=8B4513]We’ll try not to post as often while you’re away.[/COLOR] :gig [COLOR=8B4513]Have a safe trip![/COLOR] [rule][COLOR=008080]CRSelvey[/COLOR] ~ [COLOR=8B4513]You're on the ball to have all of your winter preparations complete! Maybe if I spent less time yammering on this thread, I could have my projects done. If your roo PB straightened up when you inverted him, it sounds like that was an effective treatment. Just “repeat as necessary.” I would think that since he’s an EE, it would be easier to modify his urge to attack behavior. Btw, I am a chocoholic, too. Maybe if someone held us upside down by our feet, it would modify our urge to eat chocolate behavior! [/COLOR]:p
I will probably put some straw bales around the base if the coop and I've been thinking if heavy plastic or a tarp for one side. Any thoughts? Btw, hanging me upside down would only increase my stress level so my chocolate need would likely increase as well.
Wow what a storm. Just as I wss leaving work when it hit. I was in my car and when I saw truck topper flying off and shed displays plowing into cars I knew it was time to go back inside the store. Came home to no power, some siding blown off, and a dog house blown several hundred feet into the field. Thankfully no chickens in that one yet. Overall very fortunate! Hope everyone else makes it out ok as well.
So happy you are safe.
Hoping your eggs are still growing. I also hope all is well with John and others in Lebanon. The strong winds moved our boxed hoop coop. That thing was murder to move all summer long and then today the wind just moves it no problems. And we had just moved it to its winter location this morning.
I'm sorry you have to redo the work. Maybe it's a better location?? I'm happy you are safe.

Storm is finally past here too! We do go to our basement, kinda funny my DH used to make fun of me for that!! Lots of standing water and boy did it get dark!! Hope everyone is ok.

Brad- you need a generator with all the incubating going on!! Seems like it would pay for itself! Maybe a CL one, used??

Back
Top Bottom