INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

My other reference book that I think is worth owning is Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens by Gail Damerow. http://storey.com/book_detail.php?isbn=9781603424691
pic_display.php

I recommend it with "disclaimers". From what I've been told, a lot of what was written in the original editions of this book was patterned after large scale poultry operations which is NOT what most backyard chicken keepers want to emulate as we try to choose a more "natural", healthy way of life for our chickens. That being said, this 3rd edition has been updated to talk about more natural ways as well. The thing I like about it is that it gives you a very good, basic education on all aspects of raising chickens. As with other books, there is a lot of "baby" and a bit of "bathwater"...common sense will help you wade through all that. This book would give anyone a really good overview of almost every topic for raising chickens.

So my if I could only own 2 books on chickens they would be:
Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens by Gail Damerow 3rd Edition
The Small Scale Poultry Flock by Harvey Ussery

I also own several other books that are a bit more focused on specific topics that are useful for more in-depth on some specifics.

Last edited:
One month and two days until my chicks come.

We could do a contest to guess what date the run will be finished.
No, we still haven't started.
th.gif

Oh, well. At least it's Friday. I really hope we'll get started tomorrow.

I am slowly(snail pace) getting everything ready for me and my kids(animals) to move back to my old home until I can get enough money to move away from the city. I would like to get most of my doves sold before May comes, I will also have a few other things for sale as well. I am hoping this year will be a hell-a-lot better than last year. This is my and a friend's website. She doesn't get on it, so I update it and all. So if you guys would check it out and let me what you think. http://ashleyandchrissaviary.weebly.com

I couldn't get the link to work. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Hi there! I am located south of Indy, north of Madison. It's great that there is a thread for Indiana.
I have waited YEARS to be able to set up my little farm. When I say "little farm" I mean that I can have chickens and rabbits, but if I ventured into something like goats (would love that) I would have issues with the neighbors...lol. I have also spent years wondering why I get sick when ever I eat breakfast...narrowed it down to eggs. Then I narrowed it down to store-bought eggs. I have no problem with local eggs. So, hopefully, my flock will keep me supplied.

I am just getting ready to set up my little flock of ladies. My father-in-law is housing my 6 Buff Orpington babies until I get set up. Hopefully, by next weekend, they will come home. I ordered 5 (and got 8) silkie hatching eggs. I do have quite a bit of experience incubating shipped eggs, but this clutch of eggs is not working out. The packaging was beautiful, but we had a cold snap while they were in transit. So, 4 stayed clear, 4 started developing. Of the developing 4, one almost immediately had a blood ring/island. The last 3....veins in 2 but I can't see any development of a chick. I can see the eye in one of them. They are at day 7. So sad. I am looking for a few fertile, non-shipped silkie eggs or maybe the chicks. Love the look of the porcelains and splash, but they are all adorable. I am also looking for an adult Rhode Island Red roo for my father-in-law.

Hi there! I am located south of Indy, north of Madison. It's great that there is a thread for Indiana.
I have waited YEARS to be able to set up my little farm. When I say "little farm" I mean that I can have chickens and rabbits, but if I ventured into something like goats (would love that) I would have issues with the neighbors...lol. I have also spent years wondering why I get sick when ever I eat breakfast...narrowed it down to eggs. Then I narrowed it down to store-bought eggs. I have no problem with local eggs. So, hopefully, my flock will keep me supplied.

I am just getting ready to set up my little flock of ladies. My father-in-law is housing my 6 Buff Orpington babies until I get set up. Hopefully, by next weekend, they will come home. I ordered 5 (and got 8) silkie hatching eggs. I do have quite a bit of experience incubating shipped eggs, but this clutch of eggs is not working out. The packaging was beautiful, but we had a cold snap while they were in transit. So, 4 stayed clear, 4 started developing. Of the developing 4, one almost immediately had a blood ring/island. The last 3....veins in 2 but I can't see any development of a chick. I can see the eye in one of them. They are at day 7. So sad. I am looking for a few fertile, non-shipped silkie eggs or maybe the chicks. Love the look of the porcelains and splash, but they are all adorable. I am also looking for an adult Rhode Island Red roo for my father-in-law.

We have a members listing, I know there is a link in the first few pages in one of the signatures. Bradselig is north of Indy but I'm pretty sure he has silkies.

Here is the link to the members list.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...dC1LT3NiWkd0eGVkdnJHRm9Gcy1GNGc&rm=full#gid=0
It lists the breeds of members who asked to join the list.

I HAVE 2 VERY IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENTS!!!!!!

1. The chicken train is starting back up this Monday! I will be traveling from just south of Ft Wayne on 69 south, to 465 south, to 70 west to just south of Greencastle to make a stop at Little Ameraucana Moms. I am willing to transport chickens along the way for anyone interested. I plan on leaving my house around 9am, putting me at LAM's place around 11:30am.

I do have 3 older silkies (around 2 months I believe), a little crooked beaked silkie (4 weeks old or so), several Birchen Marans (most are cockerels but may have a pullet or two), couple blue bantam Cochin chicks (several weeks to close to 6 weeks or so), and I think that's it. I may also have 3-4 LF blue Cochin pullets around 8 weeks old also available! If anyone is interested, please let me know!

2. I have a new layer! My LF Cochin hen FINALLY laced an egg for me! Hope its fertile, but they are pretty fluffy and not trimmed!

Last edited:
Just picked up my roof supplies. Ouch!!!
I should have the roof on this weekend. Hey Brad I might be interested in the blue Cochin?!?! Any pics?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom