INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Just a couple of nights ago I posted about pecking order issues at bedtime:
I've been going in the coop at night for security detail lately since my young Splash Orp Eliza has insisted on perching with the mean hens. The three Silkies who think Eliza is their mother crowd in under Eliza's huge feather canopy, which can make it difficult for Eliza to keep her balance on the perch. Adeline, my Jubilee Orp (who is usually docile) perches above Eliza and tries to sneak a big peck on Eliza's head when possible. Roadrunner, my EE, frets about Adeline having a better perch and tries to peck her, and then she tries to perch next to "sisters/best buds" BR & SLW who peck at my EE to stay away. Meanwhile, small, but scrappy Nene presides from her perch at the top of the coop box door. She doesn't have to do any of the work of being a "bouncer." All I do is give looks and point and they all know that they're supposed to settle down in their spots and keep their beaks to themselves.

In a small coop a few feet away, Bonbon stays with her four 2.5 week old bantam chicks.

Update: This evening about a half hour before bedtime, Bonbon marches up the steps of the big coop with her four chicks following behind. They take up residence in a nesting box. I thought, "OMG! 14 chickens in a 6' x 6' x 6.5' box section of the coop! The door is open on the "box" and it's ventilated at the top. I held my breath wondering what was going to happen when the others went in. Nene, the Flock Leader Boss Lady went up first and walked over to the nesting box. Bonbon stood up and stepped away from her chicks as though she was showing Nene that they were with her. Nene turned around and jumped to a perch and flew up to her special spot on top of the "box" door. Guess she approved. Next, nervous Eliza and the Silkies ascended the stairs and took their usual positions on perches attached to the poop tray (that I clean each day. Then my BR Tweedy and SLW Lacey went up, looked, and got on their perch. Next came Adeline who did the same thing. Finally my EE Roadrunner came up. She didn't care about Bonbon, but she's still upset that Tweedy and Lacey don't allow her on the front perch, but Adeline is allowed (as long as she stays at the end). Roadrunner squawked for five minutes or so about the unfairness of it all since she was an original flock member and Adeline wasn't. Then I started my off-key soothing humming, which caused RR to turn and face the other way, and sit down (pouting).

In the first place, I can't believe I have 14 chickens! 5 LF hens & 1 LF pullet, 4 bantams, and 4 tiny bantam chicks.

Hello everyone.

My name is Matthew and I am 26 and live in Seymour Indiana. I have have kept chickens in town for a little over 3 years without a single complaint and the support of my neighbors. The local city ordnance administrator has recently decided to cite me as being in violation of city ordnance that he later admitted didn't apply but I was still forced to speak at the city council meeting or he would still come and take them.

I spoke at the meeting and they concluded that I was not in violation of any ordnance but since the subject was brought before them they now must write an ordnance about it. Well I was able to receive a copy of it before it was introduced to the council and it is not good. They are looking to ban them and force registration for any chicken already in town with animal control, in turn you will receive a paper as proof of valid ownership which you must keep on file. It reads in a manner that suggest if you lose that paper and they find out you will be subjected to a fine of up to $2500 and confiscation of your chickens.

This is supposed to be introduced at the meeting taking place on May 27th @7pm in Seymour Indiana city hall council chambers. I was told I will have to pack the city hall meeting with support to have a chance to defeat it so that is my goal. Anyone in the area that sees this and could attend or offer advice and support or anyone who provides a link to a more permissive ordnance of their city that I could present to them as is or modify to possibly be sponsored by a member of the council would also be much appreciated.

Anyway I thank you all for having me and hope that I can become a good member of the community you all are building here
Good Morning Everyone!

Quote:
hugs.gif
thanks. They are both a little better this week.

Quote: Its pretty easy they come and look then sign off, $15 a year for the permit. Just need and enclosed pen and a shelter to keep them dry.
I prefer coturnix to bobwhite since they grow so fast, but ringneck has me very interested. Several years ago, I had one fly up and break the side mirror on my truck, killed the bird
sad.png
. Beautiful creature! I called DNR and they said enjoy the meal
lau.gif
. OMG it was so good! So I have looked hard at it this year. It will happen very soon.

hugs.gif
Originally Posted by goodb goodb~ Enjoyed your videos! Very sweet chicks and good mom!
big_smile.png
That's interesting that yours were pecking their mom's eyes, too. Bonbon still makes the monotone Cluck Cluck sounds and then the excited higher pitched, faster sounds to signify good eats. It's so cute when the mom shows things to the babies-- except when Bonbon showed the babies how to eat my flowers (impatients) the other day.
roll.png

After Bonbon hatched her chicks, I'd offer to let her out the bantam coop a few times a day. She'd take short breaks while the chicks chanted "MOM!" in unison. Toward the end of the first week, she acted like she wanted the chicks to go out with her, but I discouraged it because I felt like it was too dangerous to let the tiny chicks out with the other chickens around -- I was being overprotective. Then by the end of the first week, the chicks could fly up to the coop opening and could fly down to the ground (6-8") so I let them go out while I supervised. I was so surprised at how well they adapted to the terrain and integrated with the big chickens. It was 10 days after they hatched when I let them out each morning like the others and let them all free-range in the fence-in backyard until bedtime. (Sometimes I'd see a nosey chicken in the bantam coop checking it out, but I just let them since it was empty). They're two and a half weeks old now and they think they are as big as the hens!

So that's been my experience. I'm not sure if your brooder is inside a secured barn and if they're let loose, they'd have a safe place to roam. I'd just supervise some outings before you decide that they'll be fine. We have a lot of bushes and places to duck into in case of a flying predator.
CRSelvey ~ Sorry you are still going through such frustration about your broody's remaining eggs. I'm glad you have an adorable chick to keep you entertained while you wait! Loved your photos, especially your Mille Fleur!

kabhyper ~ I'm so glad that Gus and Jules are going to live at jchny/Janet's farm! They are an exceptional SLW couple.

jchny ~ Hang in there!
hugs.gif
Sorry you've been dealing with difficult issues of caring for aging parents.

Leahs Mom ~ Love your Swedish Flower Hen chicks!

hoosiercheetah ~ You have more courage that I do to attempt making fermented feed!
tongue.png

CCCHICKENS ~ Just remember that your 2 year old niece is probably not much taller than some chickens, so I can see why they'd be scary! Maybe you can get her used to them by showing her one smaller one inside where she'd feel safer.
wink.png

Webechickens ~ Congrats on your hatch! It's interesting that so many people love their turkey poults.

Quote: The dander is horrible off the birds. I had my early hatches in the house! The dust was just amazing! I have a porch that I keep new babies and weak birds in. The dust gets everywhere, and not good for allergies at all.

Quote: We rarely have any visits even with family with Dads dementia, he is pretty awful to visitors. My brother and sister visit every few months, and the grand and great grand babies too. I hope to keep him home as long as we can.

Quote: Rural King and Tractor supply both have it. I love the stuff, it is safe around the birds and sure helps keep things dry and clean.

My BBS "baby" Ameraucanas turned two months old yesterday. Here are some very poor quality pics. The splashes are looking really good, you just can't tell in the pics since the glare took away the splashes, splashes.

Production red

Starting to get a variety of eggs. The middle row is actually a bunch of really pretty blue eggs, no white or green like it looks in the pic.

WOW the eggs are fantastic! Its sure satisfying to see the egg cartons so colorful. The babies look AWESOME!
Final chicken count is ten. Two EEs, two GCs, two Black Orps, three RIRs, and one mutt - who looks like a Welsummer/RIR to me - whom we call Queen Penelope the Great and Terrible.

I've reached the maximum limit of my WAF so there will be no more than ten. I can't wait till they're all laying!
Awesome!!! Congrats on the flock, cant wait to see the first eggs!

Quote:
I don't think it is on this one. There is only one bird doing it and they all get raw meat in addition to ranging and eating lots of bugs at this point. I would think so if more were doing it. I have watched her on the roosts at night. I finally moved her so she isn't roosting with the others.

Good idea. Some birds seem to develop it as a habit too. My cornish cross hen LilX is a feather picker, and always has a bald butt. She makes me crazy but is healthy otherwise. She is 2 now and is actually broody, go figure! she is picking her chest now too so she can line her empty nest.
Quote: Be careful using the sand with the "littles". They don't understand what is food and what isn't and they will eat a good deal of it. Sand can cause gizzard damage as it can abrade the lining of the gizzard.

I have littles right now without a mamma. I just use paper towel ONLY for the first week or so, layering a new layer of paper towel over when they are soiled. That gives them a chance to learn what the food is without all those shavings in there.

At about 1 wk (actually a little sooner than a week) I brought in a hand-full of litter from the hen house (I use pine shavings and some peat moss was in there too) then a little clean pine shavings. Not much needed. The area I have the food and water I keep using the paper towel. It works very well and the brooder isn't overwhelmed with shavings in water and feed as much.

And...with the paper towel maybe no allergies?

Also brought in a plug of sod from the area the adult chickens range...and change it out after they use it up.

That way they get exposed to the environment to which they are going and can build immunities gradually before they go out...which will be soon.
I always use a good paper towel or shelf liner so there is no spraddle legs. Good point on the sod and dry litter, get them acclimated to the main flock early,

Hey, y'all, I just wanted to post because I'm super excited about the picture project I had going with our woods over the last 10 days or so! You can really see how the leaves have come out! I ended up taking a picture about every other day rather than just once this week because the leaves were growing so fast!

I couldn't find my last post with pictures of the woods, but I think y'all get the idea.
wink.png
Here's the woods from May 8 to today:

wee.gif
I can't wait to look at these pictures in mid-winter! It ought to cheer me up, anyway!
Its already made me smile! Thanks for posting because I love spring the most. So much new life to see!

Quote: Hehehe but it works, and you are happy
wink.png
thats what counts. Dh and I are friends as well as married and that works too
big_smile.png
Finding your soul mate is the key to being happy IMO.

So I finally posted my (Pallet Pallace Coop) in the coops and runs design section. If y'all get a chance check it out! Been really busy around here. I candled my eggs again, all but 6 showed signs of growth over a couple days ago. Hope everyone is doing great, have a good night and week ahead!!
Awesome! I will check it out!

Our first broody is hatching today. There are chicks I have seen at least 3. Some are the light colored EE. The others are the dark EE.
Mt question is will broody 2 keep sitting . I had a second sumatra go boody and steal eggs about 2 weeks into the first batch. So her eggs are not due for another 2 weeks. But they are sharing a nest and have been trading eggs quite often. They even sit on all of the eggs when the other gets up to eat / drink.
The eggs for the 2 broody included a heritage egg or two so I'm really wanting her to stay on the eggs.

I have to say that Lowes order online pick up in store is working out great for us. There were a few bumps with our first few orders but now they seem to be going well. It keeps the impulse buys down, cuts out the larger checkout lines, and for the most part the stuff is already pulled and ready to load.

We had been using the online ordering for Sams for a while and it worked out nice enough that now we do the same for lowes. I only wish more stores had the option to order online and pick up that order right away.

Wow, you guys have been hopping on here. Great looking chickens and fun stories as always. Getting ready to expand and improve our coops and runs at home soon. Will be posting pictures as we progress. The poor chickens are a bit crowded right now and have taken over my goat stalls.

:hugs thanks. They are both a little better this week.

Its pretty easy they come and look then sign off, $15 a year for the permit. Just need and enclosed pen and a shelter to keep them dry.
I prefer coturnix to bobwhite since they grow so fast, but ringneck has me very interested. Several years ago, I had one fly up and break the side mirror on my truck, killed the bird :( . Beautiful creature! I called DNR and they said enjoy the meal :lau . OMG it was so good! So I have looked hard at it this year. It will happen very soon.

I have never tried pheasant. I tend to be allergic to the more odd food lol, Go figure

[COLOR=008000]goodb~[/COLOR] [COLOR=8B4513]Enjoyed your videos! Very sweet chicks and good mom![/COLOR] :D   [COLOR=8B4513]That's interesting that yours were pecking their mom's eyes, too. Bonbon still makes the monotone Cluck Cluck sounds and then the excited higher pitched, faster sounds to signify good eats. It's so cute when the mom shows things to the babies-- except when Bonbon showed the babies how to eat my flowers (impatients) the other day. [/COLOR]:rolleyes:
[COLOR=8B4513]After Bonbon hatched her chicks, I'd offer to let her out the bantam coop a few times a day. She'd take short breaks while the chicks chanted "MOM!" in unison. Toward the end of the first week, she acted like she wanted the chicks to go out with her, but I discouraged it because I felt like it was too dangerous to let the tiny chicks out with the other chickens around -- I was being overprotective. Then by the end of the first week, the chicks could fly up to the coop opening and could fly down to the ground (6-8") so I let them go out while I supervised. I was so surprised at how well they adapted to the terrain and integrated with the big chickens. It was 10 days after they hatched when I let them out each morning like the others and let them all free-range in the fence-in backyard until bedtime. (Sometimes I'd see a nosey chicken in the bantam coop checking it out, but I just let them since it was empty). They're two and a half weeks old now and they think they are as big as the hens![/COLOR]

[COLOR=8B4513]So that's been my experience. I'm not sure if your brooder is inside a secured barn and if they're let loose, they'd have a safe place to roam. I'd just supervise some outings before you decide that they'll be fine. We have a lot of bushes and places to duck into in case of a flying predator.[/COLOR]
[rule][COLOR=000080]CRSelvey[/COLOR] [COLOR=8B4513]~ Sorry you are still going through such frustration about your broody's remaining eggs. I'm glad you have an adorable chick to keep you entertained while you wait! Loved your photos, especially your Mille Fleur![/COLOR]

[COLOR=008080]kabhyper[/COLOR] [COLOR=8B4513]~ I'm so glad that Gus and Jules are going to live at jchny/Janet's farm! They are an exceptional SLW couple. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=A52A2A]jchny[/COLOR] [COLOR=8B4513]~ Hang in there![/COLOR] :hugs [COLOR=8B4513]Sorry you've been dealing with difficult issues of caring for aging parents. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=800080]Leahs Mom[/COLOR] [COLOR=8B4513]~ Love your Swedish Flower Hen chicks![/COLOR]

[COLOR=006400]hoosiercheetah[/COLOR] [COLOR=8B4513]~ You have more courage that I do to attempt making fermented feed!  [/COLOR]:p

[COLOR=CC6633]CCCHICKENS[/COLOR] [COLOR=8B4513]~ Just remember that your 2 year old niece is [/COLOR][COLOR=8B4513]probably not much taller than some chickens, so I can see why they'd be scary! Maybe you can get her used to them by showing her one smaller one inside where she'd feel safer.  [/COLOR];)

She is fine with babies. Just not once they start to feather out more. The funny thing is it is all the way on the other side of the yard, a good 75 ft.

[COLOR=3366CC]Webechickens ~[/COLOR] [COLOR=8B4513]Congrats on your hatch! It's interesting that so many people love their turkey poults.[/COLOR]

The dander is horrible off the birds. I had my early hatches in the house! The dust was just amazing! I have a porch that I keep new babies and weak birds in. The dust gets everywhere, and not good for allergies at all.

We rarely have any visits even with family with Dads dementia, he is pretty awful to visitors. My brother and sister visit every few months, and the grand and great grand babies too. I hope to keep him home as long as we can.

Rural King and Tractor supply both have it. I love the stuff, it is safe around the birds and sure helps keep things dry and clean.

WOW the eggs are fantastic! Its sure satisfying to see the egg cartons so colorful. The babies look AWESOME!
Awesome!!! Congrats on the flock, cant wait to see the first eggs!

I always use a good paper towel or shelf liner so there is no spraddle legs. Good point on the sod and dry litter, get them acclimated to the main flock early,

I got 50 lbs today and thanks!

Back
Top Bottom