INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Okay, I have an urgent question in regards to candling eggs! (Okay, maybe not urgent, but...) I just went out and candled Margie's eggs and, well, I'm not seeing anything. No veining, no embryos, nothing but dark blobs that look like yolks. :( I set the eggs under her Saturday, June 14, after dark, so I counted Sunday the 15th as day 1. Am I off, possibly? Is there any hope at all that they might be fertile and just late to start developing?

Okay, I have an urgent question in regards to candling eggs! (Okay, maybe not urgent, but...) I just went out and candled Margie's eggs and, well, I'm not seeing anything. No veining, no embryos, nothing but dark blobs that look like yolks. :( I set the eggs under her Saturday, June 14, after dark, so I counted Sunday the 15th as day 1. Am I off, possibly? Is there any hope at all that they might be fertile and just late to start ?

Hmm. By now I'd think you'd at least see veins. Did they all look the same?

Okay, I have an urgent question in regards to candling eggs! (Okay, maybe not urgent, but...) I just went out and candled Margie's eggs and, well, I'm not seeing anything. No veining, no embryos, nothing but dark blobs that look like yolks. :( I set the eggs under her Saturday, June 14, after dark, so I counted Sunday the 15th as day 1. Am I off, possibly? Is there any hope at all that they might be fertile and just late to start ?

Hmm. By now I'd think you'd at least see veins. Did they all look the same?

There were two eggs whose yolks looked a bit darker, but other than that, all the same. I looked as closely as I could, but didn't see any veins at all. :/

Quote: There were two eggs whose yolks looked a bit darker, but other than that, all the same. I looked as closely as I could, but didn't see any veins at all.
hmm.png

@pipdzipdnreadytogo
For me....whenever I tried to candle I didn't see anything at all. And from those, I got 100% hatch rate. So I don't think there was anything wrong with the eggs
big_smile.png

(Probably just an issue with the person that was trying to candle
giggle.gif
)

I finally quit candling at all.
candle-smiley-emoticon-emoji.gif

Makes hatching way more peaceful.

I will say that when it was close to hatch time I could see that the whole egg was dark (sometime during the 3rd week). That's about it however.

So...pipd.... What I'm trying to say is relax and enjoy your broody. They'll either hatch or they won't.
jumpy.gif

eta: I may be more diligent in the candling if it were an incubator rather than a broody. Just wanted to clarify that I was speaking to the specific situation :D

Last edited:
That's too hard! :tongue

Actually, the only reason I'm wanting to know as soon as possible is because there's a strong possibility that these eggs aren't fertile. :/ So I was thinking I would save Margie some effort and move her to the broody buster if I could tell that the eggs were infertile.

Anyone have any advice in how to lower the humidy in my incubator. I have used this thing tons of times and never had a humidity problem. I am doing a dry hatch, there isn't any water in the incubator now at all. It is a still air incubator and I turn the eggs by hand. I tried having all te plugs in (which I never mess with them anyways), I tried one plug out (no change), and I tried putting rice in it (no change. I asked on the hatch a long thread but I haven't got any answers yet

Anyone have any advice in how to lower the humidy in my incubator. I have used this thing tons of times and never had a humidity problem. I am doing a dry hatch, there isn't any water in the incubator now at all. It is a still air incubator and I turn the eggs by hand. I tried having all te plugs in (which I never mess with them anyways), I tried one plug out (no change), and I tried putting rice in it (no change. I asked on the hatch a long thread but I haven't got any answers yet

The manuals I have found online for both cabinet incubators and still air incubators recommend decreasing the humidity in the incubator room. Air conditioning removes humidity and dehumidifiers remove humidity. I tried hatching last summer and honestly the humidity never got as low as I wanted it for the first part but I did not have shrink wrapping problems for those that made it to lockdown. It was also harder for me to store eggs at a low temperature and gathering eggs had to be done frequently just like in the extreme cold weather.
I'm done incubating for a while now. Time for me to sit back, enjoy what I have for this year, and start culling.

Back
Top Bottom