INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Lol. I get so frustrated when I post things for sale online. Just posted the chocolate orp cockerel on a Facebook group. In the ad, I had pictures, sex, age, asking amount, and my location. First reply, where are you located and have any hens? I reply location in post and only the cockerel (if I had hens, I'd post them!). They apologize for missing location and want to know how far away I am from Rochester. Last time I looked I'm not a map or a gps! You are replying to my ad with some sort of device with internet connection. Why not google it yourself!

Hey everybody. :) I was just wondering if anyone had some advice for me on picking an incubator (I will be breeding buff orpingtons, lavender orpingtons, and chocolate orpington bantams). I don't want it to be very expensive (I'll probably be asking for it for Christmas as I don't need it until next year). I know you guys probably think i'm nuts for already checking them out but I want to get the best one possible.
 My 4-H leader is trying to convince me to show chickens next year as showing goats went really well this year (I got grand champ, reserve grand champ, and master showman) and she wants me to get into showing more animal. My mom said i might be able to show my barred Plymouth rock rooster.
 I got a new gaurd dog for my chickens. He is the best dog ever! 
 Last but not least my lavender orpington roo is beginning to crow!
Congrats on the wins!
For incubator, it honestly depends on how much you plan on hatching. My votes would be for a Brinsea or hovabator genesis. That being said, I picked in on of little giants new digital incubators and been very happy with it. I'm only using it as a hatcher though.

Lol. I get so frustrated when I post things for sale online. Just posted the chocolate orp cockerel on a Facebook group. In the ad, I had pictures, sex, age, asking amount, and my location. First reply, where are you located and have any hens? I reply location in post and only the cockerel (if I had hens, I'd post them!). They apologize for missing location and want to know how far away I am from Rochester. Last time I looked I'm not a map or a gps! You are replying to my ad with some sort of device with internet connection. Why not google it yourself!
Totally understand. I recently had one where I posted a pair of birds for $50. My latest reply was from someone who wanted two hens, and only wanted to pay $10 - for both, not each. I wanted to reply back that if they wanted to spend $5 each on two hens, then reply to an ad with hens for $5. I didn't though, as I don't even bother responding to replies like that.

I saw that the other day on Facebook. It irritates me so much when people ask how away they are from someone. You obviously have internet! Look it up!

Hey everybody. :) I was just wondering if anyone had some advice for me on picking an incubator (I will be breeding buff orpingtons, lavender orpingtons, and chocolate orpington bantams). I don't want it to be very expensive (I'll probably be asking for it for Christmas as I don't need it until next year). I know you guys probably think i'm nuts for already checking them out but I want to get the best one possible.
My 4-H leader is trying to convince me to show chickens next year as showing goats went really well this year (I got grand champ, reserve grand champ, and master showman) and she wants me to get into showing more animal. My mom said i might be able to show my barred Plymouth rock rooster.
I got a new gaurd dog for my chickens. He is the best dog ever!
Last but not least my lavender orpington roo is beginning to crow!
my genesis 1588 worked really well and could hold 40 or so eggs for 21 days. But cleanup is a pain for styro bulky incubators. Incubator warehouse has a smaller fancy incubator that might work well for you and it is much easier to clean. I ended up selling my 1588 incubator as cleanup was just too much. I now have a cabinet incubator that I really really like.
Brad was selling his home made cabinet incubator, he might still have it. If not my recommendation is for the $200 clear top one from incubator warehouse.

I swear I have a nack for busting Broodies. I had a broody production red and I move her to a best with fertile eggs and she jumps off the next and goes and starts pecking around with her buddies. I want Broodies! I am hopin I go back and she is on the nest

So, anyone here know a good breeder(s) of meat-rabbit breeding stock in the Indianapolis area? I'm finding this info terribly difficult to dig up on the internets. I'm not looking for anything exotic, just the usual California / New Zealand stock. Thanks!
Go to the www.ISRBA.com website. Breeders are listed for different breeds there. ISRBA is the Indiana State Rabbit Breeders Assoc. We are also ISRBA members. Generally speaking (of course there are exceptions) those who choose to be part of ISRBA take their rabbit raising seriously and will have quality rabbits. Some members raise rabbits purely for show, others also breed for meat. I just looked at the list for Californians and personally know 2 of the breeders there and am familiar with the names of the other 3. I would have no problem buying rabbits from any of them. I also know 1 of the 2 New Zealand breeders listed and would trust them as well. There are many other ISRBA breeders of those breeds as well; the ones on the website are the ones who have paid to be publicly listed on the website. Another idea would be to visit the State Fair this weekend when the youth have their rabbits there or Saturday, August 16 for the open show and find the Cali and New Zealand people there & talk to them.

I only have bresse eggs at the moment. All the rest of my birds are mixed up right now.
Your confused (mixed up) birds made me chuckle
big_smile.png

Last edited:
my genesis 1588 worked really well and could hold 40 or so eggs for 21 days.  But cleanup is a pain for styro bulky incubators.  Incubator warehouse has a smaller fancy incubator that might work well for you and it is much easier to clean.  I ended up selling my 1588 incubator as cleanup was just too much.  I now have a cabinet incubator that I really really like.

Brad was selling his home made cabinet incubator, he might still have it.  If not my recommendation is for the $200 clear top one from incubator warehouse. 

I bought Brad's, so he doesn't have it any more. :p
(Thanks again, Brad.. I'm loving it!)

Quote: I have the one Sally is referring to. Its called the Incuview, and I absolutely love it. Holds temps much more stable than the styrofoam one I used before. It's much easier to clean, and it is by far the best for watching eggs hatch. That being said, I actually only use mine to hatch, as I have a cabinet incubator also, I've never incubated from start to finish in my incuview

Back
Top Bottom