INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Hey everyone! I'm just returning to the world of chicken keeping. Come mid-february I will have 7 new future egg layers and 20 meat birds. I've kept layers before but this will be my first time keeping meat chickens! I'm in Indianapolis btw :)

Welcome back to the world of chickens and
welcome-byc.gif
We are so happy to have you join us!
frow.gif

I am going to try building the "coolerbator" or "chick-bator" that's here on BYC...
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/homemade-chicken-egg-incubator-designs-pictures
I have the thermostat, an old ugly lamp i can steal the fixture from.. and a cooler that i can use.
My GLW are producing fertile eggs already, so i just have to find time to get it built!

I have a incubator made from a cooler. Mine dont have a thermostat so the hardest part was getting it to stay at 99.5* . I had to drill holes all around it so the extra heat would escape. I also have a computer fan hooked up in it as well. I want to hatch some chicks but dont have any more eggs right now. lol Good luck with your build!!

I have a incubator made from a cooler. Mine dont have a thermostat so the hardest part was getting it to stay at 99.5* . I had to drill holes all around it so the extra heat would escape. I also have a computer fan hooked up in it as well. I want to hatch some chicks but dont have any more eggs right now. lol Good luck with your build!!

I have read tons on this idea.. I really think it will work great! What wattage bulb did you use? Will try the wyandotte eggs first, they are still laying right now. My roo, Red, is a busy boy so the eggs have been fertile from what I'm seeing. I have to say he is a real gentleman! None of the girls have feather losses, and he sure watches over them well.
My little australorps have tail feathers now! They are just adorable friendly little things
love.gif
We have our new shed so i just need to paint and seal everything. Build the roosts and poop boards, and set up the nest boxes. It has 2 nice windows too. SOO excited, come on hurry up spring!
jumpy.gif

My hens stopped laying. It has been 2 days now with out even 1 egg. Would like to find some more fertile eggs soon

Think its the daylight issue, mine have slowed way down too. i get 1-2 a day now, was getting 5 or more.
I know you can do lights in the coop, but it doesn't seem to be a good idea. from what i keep reading, it burns the hens out too early.

Think its the daylight issue, mine have slowed way down too. i get 1-2 a day now, was getting 5 or more.
I know you can do lights in the coop, but it doesn't seem to be a good idea. from what i keep reading, it burns the hens out too early.

I have a light in only half of my coop and it points down so there is just a little light. The other half of the coop is dark. Some of my hens sleep in the nest boxes as well for heat and darkness.

Back
Top Bottom