INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Silly ducks! They stopped laying October 29. On December 1 and the following 3 days someone decided to start laying again. Then on December 5 & 6 someone else decided to join her. Then another joined in on the 7th & 8th for 3 eggs a day. Today......6 eggs! Do the ducks know something we don't -- is it actually spring in the air instead of winter?! Wouldn't that be cool if we got all of winter over with in November
fl.gif
lol.png

oh -- forgot to mention we've had a lot of mallards on the pond the last couple of weeks. There was one day when I counted 11 -- the most we had at one time. The windmill and geothermal dumping into the pond have both helped keep the water from freezing over with the cold nights and the colder days we had a few weeks ago.

Last edited:
Silly ducks! They stopped laying October 29. On December 1 and the following 3 days someone decided to start laying again. Then on December 5 & 6 someone else decided to join her. Then another joined in on the 7th & 8th for 3 eggs a day. Today......6 eggs! Do the ducks know something we don't -- is it actually spring in the air instead of winter?! Wouldn't that be cool if we got all of winter over with in November
fl.gif
lol.png

oh -- forgot to mention we've had a lot of mallards on the pond the last couple of weeks. There was one day when I counted 11 -- the most we had at one time. The windmill and geothermal dumping into the pond have both helped keep the water from freezing over with the cold nights and the colder days we had a few weeks ago.

Down here in Jennings county I heard a cardinal singing Monday morning so keep your fingers crossed.

Just a quick stop-in. Wanted to share a link to an article that just skims the subject of antibiotic use in livestock.

It's a VERY IMPORTANT subject for our health and I thought worth the read. It's short and doesn't even begin to get into the depths of the problem but is sure is worth familiarizing yourself with and taking the time to stop and think of the long-term, broad results that your actions today may have in the long-term.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...gn=20141209Z1&et_cid=DM63519&et_rid=757784127
Going to read this. Had a very difficult choice earlier this week with my lil gilt, but she was too healthy to not try to save her. So far she is thriving, and since separated from the rest seems to be healing. She is in an adjacent pen so not disconnected from the other pigs. A prolapse must have antibiotics, tetanus and very careful observation to heal.

I finally got all of our freezer roosters put well into the freezer. But what do I find today as I'm looking over my backup breeder roosters, another rooster that is not breeder best. I'm going to find him a home, I hope. If not he will be New's Year Eve's dinner instead of a ham.
We are still downsizing too. I have 2 pekin hens rehomed, and 6 more left to put in the freezer. Then I will be at 8, 2 drake, 6 ducks.. My geese, 3 gander that are fighting terribly.. I will be offering up for someones Christmas dinner or for their flock. Anyone wanting Brown Chinese send me a PM, all 3 are verified gander.

Quote: Wow thats impressive! I want to find heritage JG also, hatchery are about like a BA. We have talked about that before, lol!

Quote: Looks great! Really good feeling to see them on your table isn't it
wink.png
I am set on incubators, but will check out how your builds are going. Looks fantastic!

My little silkie boy is still ill but doing better. So he is sleeping with the doggies tonight.
big_smile.png

Glad he is better! So do you crate the dogs at night?

fl.gif
lol.png

I have a young Embden goose hen laying! (Very unusual, and wrong time of year!) She has laid at least 8 eggs in the last 3 weeks. All infertile, and soo not hatching right now
barnie.gif
Raising goslings in the dead of winter would be totally crazy and sooo messy. Am hoping the pekin pick back up laying, freezer is getting empty. I will be hatching them again, DH really likes them. (in a YUM sort of way) We don't see many mallards across the street, but a good number of canadian geese, and some do visit now. One hen often comes over and will eat corn from my hand, and I can pick her up too. They aren't mean as some portray them to be, just cautious and very aware of whats happening around them. I can't keep or confine them, but I really enjoy how graceful and beautiful they are.

Quote: Ours are still here too. One little male attacks the mirrors on the van! He and his mate keep a nest in the evergreen. Lets hope spring is early!
fl.gif

Down here in Jennings county I heard a cardinal singing Monday morning so keep your fingers crossed.
Is it too early to start looking for robins?!

I have a young Embden goose hen laying! (Very unusual, and wrong time of year!) She has laid at least 8 eggs in the last 3 weeks. All infertile, and soo not hatching right now
barnie.gif
Raising goslings in the dead of winter would be totally crazy and sooo messy. Am hoping the pekin pick back up laying, freezer is getting empty. I will be hatching them again, DH really likes them. (in a YUM sort of way) We don't see many mallards across the street, but a good number of canadian geese, and some do visit now. One hen often comes over and will eat corn from my hand, and I can pick her up too. They aren't mean as some portray them to be, just cautious and very aware of whats happening around them. I can't keep or confine them, but I really enjoy how graceful and beautiful they are.

Ours are still here too. One little male attacks the mirrors on the van! He and his mate keep a nest in the evergreen. Lets hope spring is early!
fl.gif
Today there were 7 duck eggs. Once we hit 10 eggs on one day all the hens will have laid! It sure is nice having the duck eggs again, though
big_smile.png

So this isn't the greatest picture because he is shy, but this is the boy (pretty sure it is a boy but have not heard a crow or seen an egg!) I hatched from Racin's mystery eggs. He is 4.5 months old. His dad was a crested cream legbar and his mother was a brown egg layer, we thought maybe dark cornish because he is built like a tank! I think he is turning into one of the prettiest boys I have ever seen! He is barred with splashes of bright orange and green and a tiny poofy crest! He has a weird comb, maybe a rose comb? I saw him break up a squabble between two of the hens yesterday and was so proud! He seems like he will be a really nice boy and a great back up roo. I will try to get some better pictures of him! I have been wanting to show him off but he is so shy he hides whenever I am out there with a camera.

I switched my layer flock over to the horizontal nipple waterers about 3 weeks ago. So far, so good. The girls were also used to drinking from the vertical nipples so the switch was no big deal. There is a small amount of spillage while they're actually drinking, but I haven't seen any dripping water any other times.

I really enjoy the fact that the nipples are located on the sides rather than the bottom, it's MUCH easier to refill because you can set the bucket down on a flat surface. I haven't purchased the heaters yet but will be trying the small, 50w aquarium heaters. I saw them at Walmart for $15 but they can be found for 7-8 bucks on EBAY, I just haven't gotten them ordered yet. I did have to move the waterers back inside the coop, which isn't ideal for everyone, but I can live with it for a month or two. I have just been adding some bedding every few days around the waterers to keep things dry and its working wonderfully.

Quote: My turkeys are heritage birds, so they won't hit the massive sizes like the broad breasted birds do. I don't think we could handle a 30+ lb bird anyway. But I love the idea of roasting it with bacon....everything is improved with bacon!

My little silkie boy is still ill but doing better. So he is sleeping with the doggies tonight.
big_smile.png

One of these things is not like the other........

So this isn't the greatest picture because he is shy, but this is the boy (pretty sure it is a boy but have not heard a crow or seen an egg!) I hatched from Racin's mystery eggs. He is 4.5 months old. His dad was a crested cream legbar and his mother was a brown egg layer, we thought maybe dark cornish because he is built like a tank! I think he is turning into one of the prettiest boys I have ever seen! He is barred with splashes of bright orange and green and a tiny poofy crest! He has a weird comb, maybe a rose comb? I saw him break up a squabble between two of the hens yesterday and was so proud! He seems like he will be a really nice boy and a great back up roo. I will try to get some better pictures of him! I have been wanting to show him off but he is so shy he hides whenever I am out there with a camera.

I'd agree that this is a legbar/cornish mix. He is colored just like my gold Legbar Charlie (gold is just a legbar who didn't get a creme gene). And those short massive legs with a rose comb definitely come from the cornish. I'm going to try a cornish/bresse mix this year to see how that turns out....lot of fun planning my pairings right now.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom