INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Hey ChickCrazed! I wish I would have not even looked on Craigslist! It has gotten me into trouble with pets. However we did just move to an old Farmhouse c.1851 and have some land...mainly because I wanted more birds.

I do think his beak was injured...he is missing a part on the bottom. I did some research on it and it is possible to be caused from an injury!

Any chance you need a Rooster? LOL

LOL thanks, I will have roosters coming out my ears when I start hatching!

Well Huge hugs and Big pat on the back to you! Lucky kids will be much better cared for with you! Huge difference already! You know once you got that poor boys beak straight he just wanted to kiss you!! ;)

Seriously though, nice job!

Okay folks if anyone wants silkies.... healthy non craigslist birds, I have them just ask lol! Acornewell, for bumblefoot treatment, noninvasive method is best. Ichthamol drawing salve works best. Wrap foot invgauze and vet wrap. It pulls the infection out. I may also have a lf cochin boy available depending on what sex these chicks are and if the lady getting them wants more than one boy or not. As far as the crossbeak goes, it doesnt look to severe, trimming with nail clippers shoulds help. I wouldn't breedt him though. If you have other issues you need help with them you can pm me. I've dealt with several silkie related issues. :)

You did a fantastic job caring for those neglected chickens. The before / after pics are great!

I've never seen crossbeak before. What causes it? Inbreeding? Nutrition?
Is it rare b/c they're normally culled? or can they live a normal life once it's fixed?

As a kid I had a rabbit with misaligned teeth. We had to trim them b/c he couldn't wear them down naturally. Is it kind of like that?

You did a fantastic job caring for those neglected chickens. The before / after pics are great!

Is it rare b/c they're normally culled? or can they live a normal life once it's fixed?

As a kid I had a rabbit with misaligned teeth. We had to trim them b/c he couldn't wear them down naturally. Is it kind of like that?

this is quazimoto....he was born with whats called "scissors beak" and was born with only one eye...all of the other 15 birds were born normal...
this is a great website to read about it....
the chicken chick has a great read on it...I just cant bring up the website right now....lets see if restarting will help
and got the second coolerbator done.

edited to add
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/search?q=scissors+beak

Last edited:
Is anyone else noticing an uptake in egg production? I was down to just one or two a day, and the last 5 days have averaged six a day. There were 8 eggs in the nest boxes yesterday! Looks like some of the vacationers are back on the job. Just a few dozen more that need to get with the program......
Yes, I too have been getting an upswing in egg numbers the last two weeks or so. I have roughly 25 hens/pullets of laying age. I went most of the month of December without a singe egg. Then in January they picked back up to 6-8 eggs per day. The last two weeks or so, I've been getting 12-15 per day! They were becoming more expensive "pets" there for a bit, I'm glad they have decided to pull some weight again. I had to cut down on customers b/c they were so slow for a couple months now all of a sudden i'm covered up in eggs. I think I have 10 doz in the fridge from the last 12 days. I'm actually going to be hard boiling a dozen or two for them to have a warm treat this afternoon. I just boil them and then crush up the eggshell and all. They love it

I moved the turkeys back to what will be their coop for most of the spring and summer. They are not happy. They keep trying to break into the large chicken coop to be with my RIR chickens. But my RIR chickens don't care too much for the turkeys. So after 2 days of the turkeys sneaking back into the chicken pen, I could not let anyone free range today. Kind of a teaching everyone where they belong day. Hopefully by the next warm day, all of them will be happy with their locations.

Quote: You did a fantastic job caring for those neglected chickens. The before / after pics are great!

Thanks...He seems much happier!

Snooki's foot is looking great just a day after, I have been changing her dressing and re bandaging it.

For the crooked beak/crossbeak/scissors beak...source: http://www.mypetchicken.com/backyard-chickens/chicken-help/Crossed-beak-overview-H254.aspx

In most cases, this defect is caused by the chick positioning herself incorrectly for hatching -- normally, one wing will shelter the head inside the shell, but if she doesn't have her wing over her head, the skull can malform, and it will reveal itself within the first few weeks as a cross beak or scissor beak as she begins to grow. This can also commonly be caused by various nutritional deficiencies, for instance, a lack of vitamin D, folic acid, biotin, methionine or calcium. An injury to or infection in the cere can cause the development of a crossed beak, too. Birds with liver disease may develop beak (and nail) overgrowth issues, as well, which can lead to crossed beaks. A crossed beak can be--but is not commonly--a genetic issue, even though it’s often mistaken for one. Consider that breeding birds kept together are likely on the same (nutritionally deficient) diet, and chicks hatched together in an inexpensive home incubator can experience the same incubation issues, so when these are the causes, you are likely to see several cases together.

with a coolerbator that has a digital gauge there was no fluctuations in my particular incubation period that these birds went thru....and I would put the coolerbator with the digital thermostat right up to the expensive incubators...that's for sure...maybe even better...it takes a while for a expensive incubator to stabilize...in my particular one...it takes less then an hour for it to stabilize to 99.5....my thoughts about quazi is that he def was malpositioned in the egg and he was the only one with any problems so to speak... in my particular hatch malposition was the factor...and that would be the reasoning for the deformity in quazi's head because its head was directly smashed against the egg with its eye toward the shell...n he wouldn't have made it without assistance that's for sure

That coolerbator is pretty awesome. You should try to work a viewing window, or a webcam to watch them hatch! :)

I think I am going to get my incubator fired up! It will be my 2nd time hatching!!! Eeek So nervous!

Back
Top Bottom