INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Welcome! Never seen anyone make a incubator out of a cardboard box before. Glad it worked out!
thanks! It was a box with a cardboard lid I made to fit snuggly over it. I taped an 8x10 picture frame on the top (with the glass) for a window. I had an old plastic mesh box that some tomato plants came in so I cut it up to make the floor and a separator from the light. I installed an old light socket through the side of the box and wired to an old light dimmer. I used a 3 wire cord for grounding purposes. I also used an old computer fan for air circulation. I placed a plastic tray beneath the mesh and watered from a pvc pipe inserted through the top. However, the cardboard would not retain enough humidity so I had to add some small containers of water. I used four 2oz glass bottles I had around for thermal mass, lining up three between the light and the eggs to block direct heat. I also used an old yogurt cup with a sponge protruding. Still I struggled to hit 50% humidity. I added a torn piece form an old T-shirt that was strung from a slice in the box lid and inserted in the yogurt cup to wick the water out. The fan pulled the moisture from the cloth strip and circulated it.The humidity rose, but would quickly drop. I took the entire cardboard box assembly and placed it inside a plastic storage container. Draping a towel across half of the top immediately helped and I was able to regulate the temperature by simply covering more of the top or uncovering more of the air holes. I manually turned the eggs 3 times a day. Fortunately (?) I have been unemployed for 3 months and had the time to monitor the situation all day.

My new 'bator is the same plastic storage tub, but this time I used the plastic lid and built an assembly that protrudes through the side of the container that I can rotate to the left or right. I made it from pvc pipe and created a small frame that I inserted a small cardboard box to hold the eggs and my thermometer/hygrometer. The light is installed in the same manner as the cardboard 'bator and the computer fan hangs from wires through the lid, blowing directly down on the light to push the hot air down and around the container. I have a 'wall' inside that is made of black acrylic so it acts like a light/heat shield between the eggs and the bulb. The 6 eggs are placed in a shortened egg carton--big ends up--that fits snuggly into the box. I turn the assembly to rock them to the right and then over to the left. I, again, use a pvc pipe inserted through the top to pour water into the bottom of the plastic container for humidity. This is all done manually again. I also have a towel that I place over the top as needed to help control the heat. It has remained pretty constant ranging from 99 to 102, depending on which way the box is rocked in relation to the light. I am also rocking them a lot more than 3 times a day. I used everything I already had laying around, except the hygrometer unit was ordered from Amazon for my first attempt.

Last night I ordered an aquarium temperature controller that another member here used in thier build so maybe the next time the temperature will be auto-adjusted. I also want to automate the egg turning so have to work on that, too. :)

thanks! It was a box with a cardboard lid I made to fit snuggly over it. I taped an 8x10 picture frame on the top (with the glass) for a window. I had an old plastic mesh box that some tomato plants came in so I cut it up to make the floor and a separator from the light. I installed an old light socket through the side of the box and wired to an old light dimmer. I used a 3 wire cord for grounding purposes. I also used an old computer fan for air circulation. I placed a plastic tray beneath the mesh and watered from a pvc pipe inserted through the top. However, the cardboard would not retain enough humidity so I had to add some small containers of water. I used four 2oz glass bottles I had around for thermal mass, lining up three between the light and the eggs to block direct heat. I also used an old yogurt cup with a sponge protruding. Still I struggled to hit 50% humidity. I added a torn piece form an old T-shirt that was strung from a slice in the box lid and inserted in the yogurt cup to wick the water out. The fan pulled the moisture from the cloth strip and circulated it.The humidity rose, but would quickly drop. I took the entire cardboard box assembly and placed it inside a plastic storage container. Draping a towel across half of the top immediately helped and I was able to regulate the temperature by simply covering more of the top or uncovering more of the air holes. I manually turned the eggs 3 times a day. Fortunately (?) I have been unemployed for 3 months and had the time to monitor the situation all day.

My new 'bator is the same plastic storage tub, but this time I used the plastic lid and built an assembly that protrudes through the side of the container that I can rotate to the left or right. I made it from pvc pipe and created a small frame that I inserted a small cardboard box to hold the eggs and my thermometer/hygrometer. The light is installed in the same manner as the cardboard 'bator and the computer fan hangs from wires through the lid, blowing directly down on the light to push the hot air down and around the container. I have a 'wall' inside that is made of black acrylic so it acts like a light/heat shield between the eggs and the bulb. The 6 eggs are placed in a shortened egg carton--big ends up--that fits snuggly into the box. I turn the assembly to rock them to the right and then over to the left. I, again, use a pvc pipe inserted through the top to pour water into the bottom of the plastic container for humidity. This is all done manually again. I also have a towel that I place over the top as needed to help control the heat. It has remained pretty constant ranging from 99 to 102, depending on which way the box is rocked in relation to the light. I am also rocking them a lot more than 3 times a day. I used everything I already had laying around, except the hygrometer unit was ordered from Amazon for my first attempt.

Last night I ordered an aquarium temperature controller that another member here used in thier build so maybe the next time the temperature will be auto-adjusted. I also want to automate the egg turning so have to work on that, too. :)

Thats awesome. I have a few home made incubators but today i broke down a bought a little giant incubator, it only cost me $45 at a farm store. Its a still incubator no fan so i just need to get some more eggs to hatch. My girls are not laying one single egg in that last few weeks.

Thats awesome. I have a few home made incubators but today i broke down a bought a little giant incubator, it only cost me $45 at a farm store. Its a still incubator no fan so i just need to get some more eggs to hatch. My girls are not laying one single egg in that last few weeks.

ep.gif
Which store? WOW that's a steal! I saw some really reasonable at Rural King in Muncie. I still want one with the auto turner and fan... I think New Castle store has them too just not as big of a "chicken section"
roll.png

Can't wait to start hatching! My GLW's are still laying every day. They are just lil chubby girls
love.gif
My roo is still a doll, too. I have to admit they have turned out to be a nice breed. They are an active bird, forage and range well, and stay pretty social. My girls are at least 7 pounds. My roo is probably at least 10-12 pounds now at 9 months. My BR is a good girl, she lays almost every day too. She is one you can hear all the way in the house BAKBAKBAKBAWWWWK! OK, OK! We know you laid an egg
lau.gif
My EE, i am afraid she isn't able to lay. She gave me 2 eggs since she came here in august. One was a perfect green egg, the 2nd one was a soft shell glob.
I plan to hatch the GLW first when i finish the first incubator, just need to find the time to do it!
th.gif

ep.gif
Which store? WOW that's a steal! I saw some really reasonable at Rural King in Muncie. I still want one with the auto turner and fan... I think New Castle store has them too just not as big of a "chicken section"
roll.png

Can't wait to start hatching! My GLW's are still laying every day. They are just lil chubby girls
love.gif
My roo is still a doll, too. I have to admit they have turned out to be a nice breed. They are an active bird, forage and range well, and stay pretty social. My girls are at least 7 pounds. My roo is probably at least 10-12 pounds now at 9 months. My BR is a good girl, she lays almost every day too. She is one you can hear all the way in the house BAKBAKBAKBAWWWWK! OK, OK! We know you laid an egg
lau.gif
My EE, i am afraid she isn't able to lay. She gave me 2 eggs since she came here in august. One was a perfect green egg, the 2nd one was a soft shell glob.
I plan to hatch the GLW first when i finish the first incubator, just need to find the time to do it!
th.gif

Here is the link to the store i bought mine from. Its in huntington. Their prices are really good on all things. I get my feed for $12.99. The incubator is $44.99 and the turner is $42.99. I only bought the incubator for now. http://www.orschelnfarmhome.com/ede...eryType=&query=incubator&searchText=incubator

I have a LG incubator from when I was hatching gecko eggs. I was going to use it, but since I am getting more expensive eggs, I'm going to invest in the genesis 1588. I will probably use it as a hatcher. I found a black copper Marans breeder within a few miles from my house, however I'm not impressed with the color of the eggs from the two pictures I have seen. I think my red and black sex links eggs are darker than her Marans eggs (I'm going to have her send me more pics just to make sure) So if anyone knows of any Marans breeders in Indiana, let me know. Id rather not try shipped eggs yet.

Here is the link to the store i bought mine from. Its in huntington. Their prices are really good on all things. I get my feed for $12.99.  The incubator is $44.99 and the turner is $42.99. I only bought the incubator for now.    http://www.orschelnfarmhome.com/ede...eryType=&query=incubator&searchText=incubator

I have always been very pleased with Orschelns! I buy most of my feed there as well. They have great a great selection of chicks in the spring as well.

I have a LG incubator from when I was hatching gecko eggs. I was going to use it, but since I am getting more expensive eggs, I'm going to invest in the genesis 1588. I will probably use it as a hatcher. I found a black copper Marans breeder within a few miles from my house, however I'm not impressed with the color of the eggs from the two pictures I have seen. I think my red and black sex links eggs are darker than her Marans eggs (I'm going to have her send me more pics just to make sure) So if anyone knows of any Marans breeders in Indiana, let me know. Id rather not try shipped eggs yet.

Dont be alarm by the color of the eggs brad. With the Marans egg color goes by their cycle. When she starts a new cycle of eggs the color will be dark brown and at the end of the cycle they get lighter. As you may already know chickens have cycles just like woman pretty much do. LOL

Back
Top Bottom