INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

DH got some roses from his grandparents house back when we were dating. He always brought me the most beautiful cut flowers. When we married & bought this house, we left the roses at his townhouse. They were used to Chicago winters & very hardy. We figured we could just plant new ones here. That wasn't the case because every one we planted has died. (In 20 years of trying, that's a lot of roses!) The handful that lived 1-4 years usually died due to a construction project when we tried to move them or a severe winter.

Hey everyone I'm thinking of trying to create my own chicken breed I wondered if anybody near Anderson would be interested in buying one eventually or becoming a member of a breed club. I should have the breed developed in a few years

Hey everyone I'm thinking of trying to create my own chicken breed I wondered if anybody near Anderson would be interested in buying one eventually or becoming a member of a breed club. I should have the breed developed in a few years

What characteristics are you aiming for- appearance, disease resistance, heat/cold tolerance, size, egg/meat production, etc?

DH got some roses from his grandparents house back when we were dating. He always brought me the most beautiful cut flowers. When we married & bought this house, we left the roses at his townhouse. They were used to Chicago winters & very hardy. We figured we could just plant new ones here. That wasn't the case because every one we planted has died. (In 20 years of trying, that's a lot of roses!) The handful that lived 1-4 years usually died due to a construction project when we tried to move them or a severe winter.
I have one rosebush that I have moved three times to different houses. I don't understand why some people have problems with roses and others can grow them like weeds!

What characteristics are you aiming for- appearance, disease resistance, heat/cold tolerance, size, egg/meat production, etc?
I'm aiming for a large duel purpose breed that's good at foraging and that are good brooders. it will probably be a three way cross of black Jersey giant, barred rock, and New Hampshire red

@hbrown322
I don't worm. My oldest girls are 5 yo and have never been wormed. All the 5 yos are still laying pretty regularly during the laying season.

That being said...
If I thought they should be wormed, I'd take a fecal sample to the vet to be checked before worming. Too many people just worm routinely when it's not needed and that puts a strain on the immune system - not to mention weakening them so they are more susceptible to worms (unfortunate but true).

Especially if your birds have plenty of space, get out in the fresh air and sunshine, have deep littered run if they are kept in a run (which provides very healthy ground for them rather than unhealthy impacted slimy ground) the likelihood of needing to be wormed is pretty small.

Anyone ever tried this incubator?
View attachment 1059161
I haven't. I have had the styrofoam type, and bought a cabinet the following year.

I tried explaining chicken math to Annan chicken person and just got a glazed I reaction not understanding at all ha ha
:smack:thIts impossible to talk chickens to a non believer!

Ignore the weeds! I ordered a battery powered trimmer that supposed to come in today. Has anybody ever used one? Our old trimmer requires black magic to start. And I'm not able to do it on my own.
I have a Ryobi ONE dual power trimmer. (Lithium battery or cord) and I LOVE the thing! Easy to restring, 12" cut. I can go to the far end of our 5 acres with a couple batteries and trim under electric fence without damaging it, or the fence. One battery runs it 20 minutes. It also acts as an edger. Our fence charger is a 50 mile "weed burner" but the less we strain it the better it works.

Please share your thoughts and ideas!

Do you guys deworm your chickens? I never thought of doing so, but it popped up in a blog and now has me thinking I should.
I agree 100% with @Leahs Mom post below.

@hbrown322
I don't worm. My oldest girls are 5 yo and have never been wormed. All the 5 yos are still laying pretty regularly during the laying season.

That being said...
If I thought they should be wormed, I'd take a fecal sample to the vet to be checked before worming. Too many people just worm routinely when it's not needed and that puts a strain on the immune system - not to mention weakening them so they are more susceptible to worms (unfortunate but true).

Especially if your birds have plenty of space, get out in the fresh air and sunshine, have deep littered run if they are kept in a run (which provides very healthy ground for them rather than unhealthy impacted slimy ground) the likelihood of needing to be wormed is pretty small.
:goodpost:

Back
Top Bottom