INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Some of the most friendly birds among themselves that I've observed are Dominiques. I'm getting some myself this spring. The Buckeyes have been very gentle among the flock also.

But...I like birds that don't all look alike! so both those breeds are pretty boring as they all look alike!

I've also heard that the orpingtons are gentle birds as well. Lots of variety if you like yard candy!

Friendly egg layers. :D
I'm setting some Dominiques, Appenzeller Spitzhaubens (not for beginners), lots of English Orpingtons - many colors, and some orp mixes (blue egg gene hybrids & or sex-links so I can tell gender at hatch).

I love Orpington (bordering on addiction), because of their beauty, big size, docile nature, and all out hug-ability. The down side is that they're not the best layers, but the eggs are huge. They eat/poop a lot & take a while to mature. So they're not as economical as the more common breeds. (BTW - the really fat blue orp was puffed out & broody at the time.)
IMG_6869 copy.jpg IMG_7185.JPG IMG_4360 copy.jpg Muppet copy.jpg GG.jpg IMG_6798 copy.jpg Graces Photeo.jpg

The Doms are very social, curious, lay medium eggs, and easy on the feed bill. Though they don't cuddle like the orps, they are smart, friendly, & fun. Our Bubbles is getting older, so we're going to train another Dom. Depending on their line, Doms can be sexed at hatch. Their feathers are a little softer and like silkies, Doms don't have the same earthy smell as other breeds of chickens. (Yes, I guess we sniff our chickens here, but it's true. Dom feathers have a more pleasant smell.) Their feathers are also great for crafts.
IMG_3058.JPG bubbles.jpg IMG_2257 copy.jpg

The Spitzhaubens are very cool-looking and friendly. They don't like to cuddle, but like the Doms, our Spitz will hop up onto our laps. The biggest con is their great flying ability. If you don't mind free range chickens on your roof or in your trees, Spitzes are a lot of fun. DS claimed my "Spitzie" as HIS and renamed her Poof-Poof. He's been working with her & she now comes running when called. (Last pic is Drumsticks, who was my fav Spitz roo.)
IMG_3948.JPG Simon & PoofPoof2.jpg IMG_2186.JPG

I'm setting some Dominiques, Appenzeller Spitzhaubens (not for beginners), lots of English Orpingtons - many colors, and some orp mixes (blue egg gene hybrids & or sex-links so I can tell gender at hatch).

I love Orpington (bordering on addiction), because of their beauty, big size, docile nature, and all out hug-ability. The down side is that they're not the best layers, but the eggs are huge. They eat/poop a lot & take a while to mature. So they're not as economical as the more common breeds. (BTW - the really fat blue orp was puffed out & broody at the time.)
View attachment 1261976 View attachment 1261977 View attachment 1261991 View attachment 1261992 View attachment 1261993 View attachment 1261994View attachment 1261990

The Doms are very social, curious, lay medium eggs, and easy on the feed bill. Though they don't cuddle like the orps, they are smart, friendly, & fun. Our Bubbles is getting older, so we're going to train another Dom. Depending on their line, Doms can be sexed at hatch. Their feathers are a little softer and like silkies, Doms don't have the same earthy smell as other breeds of chickens. (Yes, I guess we sniff our chickens here, but it's true. Dom feathers have a more pleasant smell.) Their feathers are also great for crafts.
View attachment 1261980 View attachment 1261986 View attachment 1261987

The Spitzhaubens are very cool-looking and friendly. They don't like to cuddle, but like the Doms, our Spitz will hop up onto our laps. The biggest con is their great flying ability. If you don't mind free range chickens on your roof or in your trees, Spitzes are a lot of fun. DS claimed my "Spitzie" as HIS and renamed her Poof-Poof. He's been working with her & she now comes running when called. (Last pic is Drumsticks, who was my fav Spitz roo.)
View attachment 1261978 View attachment 1261979 View attachment 1261988
You have some great looking birds!

Thanks.
Here are a few of today's pics of our "Dinner" = a little over 4 months now. (Who DD calls "Pretty Boy.") I decided to keep the blk/lav split cockerel around for breeding / protection until I find a better one.

On Tues I'm going to process a friend's mean EE rooster, but I'm not sure if I'll have the strength to process this guy as well. He really is a "pretty boy." I like the look of his gold laced feathers. Hopefully, I can find him a good home where he won't have to live up to the orig. name I gave him.
dinner 1.jpg
dinner 2.jpg

Some close ups of his pretty feathers.
feathers 1.jpg
feathers 2.jpg
feathers 3.jpg

edit to add one more close up:
dinner 3.jpg

Last edited:
@Faraday40 he is very pretty. Are orpington roosters more docile and friendly than other roosters? That is what I have read, but I don't have any experience with roosters.

Please help me identify tracks if you can:
Found some little tracks around the coop - and they did not look like the common squirrel, rabbit, skunk, possum! I think they may be from our old terror: the fox. (Neighbors have also been claiming they saw a "cougar" or "bobcat" around. Since we live in the suburbs, it could also mean a very large cat.) Although it could be a cat.... but we rarely have cats enter our yard due to how much our dogs like to chase them.

IMG_7236 copy.jpg
IMG_7237 copy.jpg

I really didn't like seeing that the animal tried to claw under the coop
IMG_7239 copy.jpg

I also saw some tracks romping away. Our smaller dog's 3" footprints erased the trail, so I'm not sure how many critters ran through here & how many times. I only know that our big dog (Great Dane) was not involved.
IMG_7240 copy.jpg

I went back inside & grabbed a flashlight & ruler. I would guess the feet are about 1.5".
IMG_7254.JPG
IMG_7256.JPG

@Faraday40 he is very pretty. Are orpington roosters more docile and friendly than other roosters? That is what I have read, but I don't have any experience with roosters.
I believe the orps are gentle giants. They have a very laid back attitude but are also good protection. They usually have an infrequent, lower-pitched crow which I personally find more pleasant. Out of all the orp roosters, I only had one "unpredictable" one, named Tank. He wasn't actually mean, but it was spring, his hormones were high, and he really hated the pooper scooper & would attack it. That frightened my kids, so they feared him.... which is not good because animals can sense fear and are more likely to attack. It was easier to get a new rooster with a gentle personality than deal with trying to train an unpredictable roo and frightened kids.

Our very next orp roo was Mr Dummy-pants, who I have to say is the best guy we've ever had.... except for the strange name my children gave him. Brownie, Prince, Brick, Moose, the "Mini Moose"s, Godivo, Mr Nice Guy, Mr Wonderful, and even Dinner have all been great.

I also found that having 2 roosters is far easier than one. One male may get a god-complex and decide to challenge people (or pooper scoopers), but two or more are used to sharing - especially if they were raised together. They work out the pecking order in the brooder and make a perfect team without ever having fights.

I've never met a mean Orp roo--even hatchery quality guys. They're a sweet, low maintenance breed. Another one you might try is Brahmas, which are another big, friendly, low maintenance, child friendly, decent egg layer, slow maturing, dual purpose breed. As always, it depends on where you get them. Light Brahmas have been over produced by hatcheries so may not adhere to usual standards of temperament.

A lot of people really like Plymouth Rocks.

Please help me identify tracks if you can:
Found some little tracks around the coop - and they did not look like the common squirrel, rabbit, skunk, possum! I think they may be from our old terror: the fox. (Neighbors have also been claiming they saw a "cougar" or "bobcat" around. Since we live in the suburbs, it could also mean a very large cat.) Although it could be a cat.... but we rarely have cats enter our yard due to how much our dogs like to chase them.

View attachment 1262486 View attachment 1262487
I really didn't like seeing that the animal tried to claw under the coopView attachment 1262488
I also saw some tracks romping away. Our smaller dog's 3" footprints erased the trail, so I'm not sure how many critters ran through here & how many times. I only know that our big dog (Great Dane) was not involved.
View attachment 1262489

I went back inside & grabbed a flashlight & ruler. I would guess the feet are about 1.5". View attachment 1262483 View attachment 1262484
Oh no. I will get a better look later, I'm going to be late leaving to go out with MIL as it is. :p

Back
Top Bottom