INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

You set your alarm for two hours. Are you awake now? Got kids?
Ugh not a lot of sleep watching this doe. First doe ever duped me. I can't find the ligaments and she still has not kidded. I'm going to call the vet tomorrow. I need him out anyway to check my cow herd for being bred and look at the goat herd in general.

I was invited to a ribbon cutting ceremony for a chicken coop at DS's school today.
(He's part of the "Agriculture club" and has been telling others all about the benefits of keeping chickens since preschool.) They've been hatching my eggs for 4-5 years now, and this year received funding grants to buy a little coop for their school.

The chicks were hatched in early March and will move into the coop next week. (The pullets didn't attend the ceremony today due to their fear of large crowds and public speaking. LOL) DS was a little nervous about speaking in front of 400 people (mostly students) but he did fine..... and of course the megaphone helped.

The Ag Club kids will take turns caring for the chickens until the end of the year, and the chickens will return in the fall for next year's Ag Club to continue. DS is so excited to be the 1st student scheduled to care for them. Before signing the permission slip I kept asking him, "After doing all your chicken chores at home, are you sure you want to go to school and clean another chicken coop?" He answered that it's an honor and a privilege to care for the school chickens. I almost fell over!
Oh my what an honor to be recognized! Bless your heart I know you are heavily invested educating kids. Flat awesome the kids are loving it.

img_6276-jpg.1753384
Oh my what an honor to be recognized! Bless your heart I know you are heavily invested educating kids. Flat awesome the kids are loving it.

We have noticed Pixie one of our oldest cows has sudden weight loss. We've separated her she still allows her calf Daisy to milk, Daisy was born late July last year! De-wormed and lots of vitamin shots. I've quarantined her to keep her calf off her too.
I love a good Momma but geez Pixie you need to get weight on and let your calf wean.

We have noticed Pixie one of our oldest cows has sudden weight loss. We've separated her she still allows her calf Daisy to milk, Daisy was born late July last year! De-wormed and lots of vitamin shots. I've quarantined her to keep her calf off her too.
I love a good Momma but geez Pixie you need to get weight on and let your calf wean.
I hope weaning Daisy does the trick.

Looking at the long term forecast I'm going to plant these mature tomatoes early. There are 6 that are so root bound I'm going to try it.
I'm moving the Bresse chicks to the brooder April 30th. 2 hatches left.

We have a pip on a Serama & a Spitz egg in the Cooler-bator!
:celebrate
Most incubators were set on a Tues. morning, but the Coolerbator started on Mon night. (DS set eggs in 4 different types of incubators for his 4H project.) Meanwhile Cookie is happily sitting on some marble eggs waiting for these babies to hatch.

I finished the dance hairpieces today.

The white feathers are from Princess Lay-a, goose feathers from @JanetMarie , and 2 ostrich feathers. I tried a few laced orp feathers but decided to keep it pure white.
img_6296-jpg.1755791

The black feathers are from from our beloved Mr Dummy plus a couple ostrich feathers.
img_6298-jpg.1755792

Looking at the long term forecast I'm going to plant these mature tomatoes early. There are 6 that are so root bound I'm going to try it.
I'm moving the Bresse chicks to the brooder April 30th. 2 hatches left.

Didn't you get the winter storm yesterday???
It's really hard to think of spring when it still feels like winter.
This is what it looked like around 11am:
IMG_6292.JPG

It was snowing most of the day but thankfully was in the mid 30s so much melted as it fell. We still ended up with a few inches of heavy slush. Today it's about 50'F, so most of the snow is gone already.

Didn't you get the winter storm yesterday???
It's really hard to think of spring when it still feels like winter.
This is what it looked like around 11am:
View attachment 1755872
It was snowing most of the day but thankfully was in the mid 30s so much melted as it fell. We still ended up with a few inches of heavy slush. Today it's about 50'F, so most of the snow is gone already.
Nope thankfully it missed us! I think we are past frost here, zone is right between 6a/6b. Our averages are high 60s low 40s now. my new grapevines and blackberries are loving it, still need to plant strawberries and move the blueberry bushes.

Last edited:
So we moved the goats and Belle to the farthest SE end of our property today. We set them up south of the barn about 300 ft in. Used 3 of the 164 ft Premeire1 netting and the solar charger, think its the 60. Very tall grass out there and still a lot of Dads "treasures" out in the weeds. I've walked the area for anything like broken glass or chemicals. Also looked for any poisonous plants. If weather allows I will get pictures tomorrow. Dad grew up at the end of the depression and kept everything period. We removed anything that might possibly harm them. Really happy critters lol! Our next step is adding the guinea house to this area. Its tick heaven thru there and a lot of ants. Favorite guinea snacks.

We have a pip on a Serama & a Spitz egg in the Cooler-bator!
:celebrate
Most incubators were set on a Tues. morning, but the Coolerbator started on Mon night. (DS set eggs in 4 different types of incubators for his 4H project.) Meanwhile Cookie is happily sitting on some marble eggs waiting for these babies to hatch.

I finished the dance hairpieces today.

The white feathers are from Princess Lay-a, goose feathers from @JanetMarie , and 2 ostrich feathers. I tried a few laced orp feathers but decided to keep it pure white.
img_6296-jpg.1755791

The black feathers are from from our beloved Mr Dummy plus a couple ostrich feathers.
img_6298-jpg.1755792
Exciting hatches! I gave my coolerbater to my daughter I just use the sportsmen 1502s now. One needs new fans so I've only got one going. Probably best so I'm not getting stupid hatching a gazillion birds!
They are lovely hairpieces!The guineas probably won't molt til fall but I'll save for you.

Back
Top Bottom