INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Our poultry updates:
Chicken: Bresse hatch went awesome! I left one egg in my incubator I'm not fully convinced is a dud. Out of 18, 2 clears, 2 quitters unless #2 does hatch. Very lively and social babies as of now, 14! 1 round of EEs left and one Ameruacana hatch (from a breeder). That's going to wrap up chicken hatches this year... maybe Maran in the fall if laying well lol :oops: shhhh...
Guineas: Still here, after several months of being locked up they have FINALLY realized they have to coop at night. I might hatch keets am sure getting a lot of eggs. Really want them to stay if they continue cooping up. Their coop is mobile so I may move them with the goats inside electric netting.
Geese: Infertile. Did 3 weeks of test hatches and nothing. Broke 3 fresh ones today for french toast, nope not fertile. We have a new flock coming, goslings from Meyer hatchery. 2 of my younger geese are likely going to my vets house. Big Boy is 6, Gee is 7 and they are pets so they are staying here to watch over the goslings as they get older.
Muscovy: Laying like crazy and 1 may be broody already!
14 chicks out of 16 fertile eggs is an awesome hatch! :thumbsup

You are finishing and I'm just getting started! I just locked down my first hatch of the year. 5 turkeys and 8 mixed breed chickens.
Exciting! What turkey breeds are you keeping? I promised DH not to hatch during the summer. I'm ok with it too, we're able to go camping more and I love to fish! Now it just depends on his work schedule.

Freezing eggs, processed about 7 dozen today... each cube is 2 chicken eggs. I scramble them in the blender, freeze then transfer into vacuum sealer bags. I use the zip closed vacuum bags and reseal as we use them come winter. I'm finding if I don't sell any eggs, this lasts us almost til spring. I wish I knew where DD got these big silicone cube trays, they work great! I've only got 3 so its a slow process.
20190423_173441.jpg

I have a very unusual chick.
"It's" mom is Jewel. Here's a pic of Jewel when young:
img_1117-jpg.1031635

Notice the pink color & slightly big wattles for a pullet. (I thought she was male from age 4wks to 10 wks.) She's a gorgeous hen and had plenty of beautiful babies. However every time I had a questionable gender one, I called it a slow-maturing male. ......Until I eventually realized it was a female.

Right now, I have another almost 8 wk old male/female chick from Jewel. The initial slightly large wattles didn't alarm me because I've been fooled by those too many times. I also have "its" brother for companionship & comparison while they integrate into the flock. The brother doesn't have an overly large comb, but his gender has been obvious all along.

Here's the brother; obvious male
bro-jpg.1750318

Looking at the ? gender chicken from one side I see a female and from the other a male. Truly a 2-faced bird!
Female?
maybe-female-jpg.1750328

female-maybe-jpg.1750319

male?
male-maybe-jpg.1750320

Do I have 2 males?
bro-bro-jpg.1750336

bros-jpg.1750344

or a pair?
bro-sis-jpg.1750337

pair-1-jpg.1750338

What do you think?

img_1117-jpg.1031635

Notice the pink color & slightly big wattles for a pullet. (I thought she was male from age 4wks to 10 wks.) She's a gorgeous hen and had plenty of beautiful babies. However every time I had a questionable gender one, I called it a slow-maturing male. ......Until I eventually realized it was a female.

Right now, I have another almost 8 wk old male/female chick from Jewel. The initial slightly large wattles didn't alarm me because I've been fooled by those too many times. I also have "its" brother for companionship & comparison while they integrate into the flock. The brother doesn't have an overly large comb, but his gender has been obvious all along.

bro-jpg.1750318

Looking at the ? gender chicken from one side I see a female and from the other a male. Truly a 2-faced bird!
Female?
maybe-female-jpg.1750328

female-maybe-jpg.1750319

male?
male-maybe-jpg.1750320

Do I have 2 males?
bro-bro-jpg.1750336

bros-jpg.1750344

or a pair?
bro-sis-jpg.1750337

pair-1-jpg.1750338

What do you think?
What cuties! I'll be honest I'm stumped too. Saddle feathers probably aren't out enough to tell.

Frankfort Rural King has Blue Rocks!!

IMG_8164.JPG

Straight run, $6.99 each. Pricey, but I love the Rocks I've had (barred and partridge) and I've been looking for replacements since both mine died last year. I hope at least one is a girl. Actually, I hope there is a black girl and a blue girl. I tried feather sexing them, but idk if that works on 3 day old Rocks.

I also got a White Rock. (Older sexed pullet, marked down to $1)
IMG_8163.JPG

And to make up the 6 bird minimum, I got a supposed Light Brahma pullet, also from the mark-down bin. But it looks suspiciously like an Amberlink.
Anybody know if Amberlinks have feathered legs?

IMG_8161.JPG

Exciting! What turkey breeds are you keeping? I promised DH not to hatch during the summer. I'm ok with it too, we're able to go camping more and I love to fish! Now it just depends on his work schedule.
I have mixed breed heritage turkeys. I'm working my way to pure Sweetgrass. I believe my tom is a blue Sweetgrass split to Narragansett and possibly pencilling. I believe my (main) hen is a light phase Sweetgrass, also possibly carrying pencilling, but that's an odd gene. I expect all these chicks to be either SG or Palm. Oh, and the red gene is also in the mix. The blue, the red and the pencilling make it hard for me to know whether I got the Sweetgrass part right.

For this first hatch, I only set eggs from the one hen. Three are out so far, and the other 2 are zipping.

IMG_8176.JPG

I wish I knew where DD got these big silicone cube trays, they work great!
Have you tried googling them? I bet Amazon has something similar. Dollar store seems a good bet too.
img_1117-jpg.1031635

bro-jpg.1750318

Female?
maybe-female-jpg.1750328

female-maybe-jpg.1750319

male?
male-maybe-jpg.1750320

Do I have 2 males?
bro-bro-jpg.1750336

bros-jpg.1750344

or a pair?
bro-sis-jpg.1750337

pair-1-jpg.1750338

What do you think?
I think it has hen-colored feathering. Does the left side of the body have different coloring?

Frankfort Rural King has Blue Rocks!!

View attachment 1750649
Straight run, $6.99 each. Pricey, but I love the Rocks I've had (barred and partridge) and I've been looking for replacements since both mine died last year. I hope at least one is a girl. Actually, I hope there is a black girl and a blue girl. I tried feather sexing them, but idk if that works on 3 day old Rocks.

I also got a White Rock. (Older sexed pullet, marked down to $1)
View attachment 1750658

And to make up the 6 bird minimum, I got a supposed Light Brahma pullet, also from the mark-down bin. But it looks suspiciously like an Amberlink.
Anybody know if Amberlinks have feathered legs?

View attachment 1750663

I have mixed breed heritage turkeys. I'm working my way to pure Sweetgrass. I believe my tom is a blue Sweetgrass split to Narragansett and possibly pencilling. I believe my (main) hen is a light phase Sweetgrass, also possibly carrying pencilling, but that's an odd gene. I expect all these chicks to be either SG or Palm. Oh, and the red gene is also in the mix. The blue, the red and the pencilling make it hard for me to know whether I got the Sweetgrass part right.

For this first hatch, I only set eggs from the one hen. Three are out so far, and the other 2 are zipping.

View attachment 1750650

Have you tried googling them? I bet Amazon has something similar. Dollar store seems a good bet too.

I think it has hen-colored feathering. Does the left side of the body have different coloring?
Oh I adore Rocks! My barred rock Mabel is a lap girl! Baby turkeys are too sweet. I did find the silicone trays on walmart.com ordered more right away..

Back
Top Bottom