INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

You'll love those lav orps when they grow up to be big beautiful birds.
Muppet copy.jpg
IMG_2038 (2).JPG

Hello everyone.​
I hope everyone is doing well.

Its been a few years since I posted on here. Life and work got away from me And I had to go into a maintain mode with my animals. Time has freed up for me, so I’m looking to get a bit more active again.
I still have chickens, but a bobcat took my last rooster. I’ve since had to regretfully stop all free ranging Since everything around here eats chicken!

I’d like to find another rooster or two. Hatching eggs are also an option.
These are the breeds I’m interested in finding:
Cream Legbar or any other blue egg breed except Americauna.
Any Brahma except light.
Any Maran breed that has really dark eggs.
Jersey giant - any color.

Also interested in the following:
Royal Palm hatching eggs or poults
Any peacock or peahen or eggs of any color except India blue. I’ve got plenty of those right now.

If anyone has what I’m looking for and is within a reasonable (hour or two) drive from Indy, send me a message and we’ll see whatt we can arrange.

Hello guys, I decided to expanding my backyard poultry and got me 3 Turkeys. My intention was to keep them as pets. However, I just learned that the turkeys that I got are meat turkeys (Broad breasted Whites and bronze) and therefore their lifespan is very short. My heart sunk 😭. When I did my research it said they could live 10 years (did I just type their breed wrong?)
Could someone PLEASE tell me if they have keep these type of turkeys and live a long time? I got them at Rural King yesterday. I am considering in trading them for another poult with longer lifespan, as I don't have the heart to process them, or even trade them for silkie chicks.

I appreciate your guys advice!!!
Hello everyone.​
I hope everyone is doing well.

Its been a few years since I posted on here. Life and work got away from me And I had to go into a maintain mode with my animals. Time has freed up for me, so I’m looking to get a bit more active again.
I still have chickens, but a bobcat took my last rooster. I’ve since had to regretfully stop all free ranging Since everything around here eats chicken!

I’d like to find another rooster or two. Hatching eggs are also an option.
These are the breeds I’m interested in finding:
Cream Legbar or any other blue egg breed except Americauna.
Any Brahma except light.
Any Maran breed that has really dark eggs.
Jersey giant - any color.

Also interested in the following:
Royal Palm hatching eggs or poults
Any peacock or peahen or eggs of any color except India blue. I’ve got plenty of those right now.

If anyone has what I’m looking for and is within a reasonable (hour or two) drive from Indy, send me a message and we’ll see whatt we can arrange.
I've missed you so much! I still keep BCM Lavender AM and Barred rock. Muscovy also, I will look for what you want.

So eggsited!!!:wee I had 19 chickies hatch over the last few days. Silkies, turkens and barnyard mix. Can't wait to watch them grow. Hubby also brought home 9 lavender Orpingtons for me last night because he knew I had been wanting them for awhile. Also got a new incubator yesterday and plan on setting some d'uccle eggs that my neighbor traded me ( I gave him silky eggs) I'm also going to set bantam cochin, silky and polish/frizzle. I think I've caught the hatching bug again.:oops:

Congrats on your new feather babies :)

Hello guys, I decided to expanding my backyard poultry and got me 3 Turkeys. My intention was to keep them as pets. However, I just learned that the turkeys that I got are meat turkeys (Broad breasted Whites and bronze) and therefore their lifespan is very short. My heart sunk 😭. When I did my research it said they could live 10 years (did I just type their breed wrong?)
Could someone PLEASE tell me if they have keep these type of turkeys and live a long time? I got them at Rural King yesterday. I am considering in trading them for another poult with longer lifespan, as I don't have the heart to process them, or even trade them for silkie chicks.

I appreciate your guys advice!!!

UPDATE:
I have an update on my turkey situation. My bronze poult passed away the second day I had him/her 🥺 not sure what happened. I was feeding them the right food, they have their heat lamp, fresh water... The other two Broad breasted Whites I was able to find someone on facebook that sells turkey and was willing to trade heritage turkey poults with mine. I got me three narragansett. He told me that baby turkeys are very fragile, more than chicks, and best not to touch them much. I followed his advise and my three baby turkey are doing great. I have not been touching them but visit them very often so they get used to my voice. I also read baby turkeys are best if not raised with chicks to prevent blackhead disease, so I have chicks and turkeys in the same room but in different tubs. I finally got me some chicks breeds that I have been wanting for soo long (lavender orpington, Silkies, blue laced red wyandotte, french cuckoo marans, polish and turken). My spare bedroom is officially a brooder room.
My DH built me a chicken tractor and my young pullets has been enjoying eating fresh grass and I have been loving it because they keep my grass short.
Next project is to built a coop with enclosed run with roof for the silkies. This is my first time having silkies and I was told is not good for them to get wet.
Well that's all my updates, hope you are all having a great Sunday.

UPDATE:
I have an update on my turkey situation. My bronze poult passed away the second day I had him/her 🥺 not sure what happened. I was feeding them the right food, they have their heat lamp, fresh water... The other two Broad breasted Whites I was able to find someone on facebook that sells turkey and was willing to trade heritage turkey poults with mine. I got me three narragansett. He told me that baby turkeys are very fragile, more than chicks, and best not to touch them much. I followed his advise and my three baby turkey are doing great. I have not been touching them but visit them very often so they get used to my voice. I also read baby turkeys are best if not raised with chicks to prevent blackhead disease, so I have chicks and turkeys in the same room but in different tubs. I finally got me some chicks breeds that I have been wanting for soo long (lavender orpington, Silkies, blue laced red wyandotte, french cuckoo marans, polish and turken). My spare bedroom is officially a brooder room.
My DH built me a chicken tractor and my young pullets has been enjoying eating fresh grass and I have been loving it because they keep my grass short.
Next project is to built a coop with enclosed run with roof for the silkies. This is my first time having silkies and I was told is not good for them to get wet.
Well that's all my updates, hope you are all having a great Sunday.
Blackhead lives in the soil, so anywhere the chickens were on could have it. It may not be in your area. I have the poultry all together and only problem I have had is coccidiosis that the poults had... but not the chicks.
I give red C pepper as a preventative. I feed wet or fermented feed. 1/4 cup C pepper for a couple gallons

Question: when switching out roosters how long does it take for the hens to start laying eggs fertilized by the new rooster? Example I just switched out my white rooster with a silver Patridge. How long should I wait to be sure and get the silver’s babies? (Does that make since? )

Question: when switching out roosters how long does it take for the hens to start laying eggs fertilized by the new rooster? Example I just switched out my white rooster with a silver Patridge. How long should I wait to be sure and get the silver’s babies? (Does that make since? )
Up to 3 wks

Back
Top Bottom