INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Finnie

Crowing
6 Years
Oct 27, 2014
Indianapolis
Guys I'm at a life event and frankly all my chickens have went to both my daughters homes. I'm still going to be a part of this thread, but unable to keep poultry for now. My Muscovy flock is divided between 3 people. Due to my own ignorance I've been in the hospital about a week total. I've been a smoker all my life probably 45 years. My fault, I was ignorant not believing the risks, Easiest explanation is COPD. I grew up late 60s early 70s and no one then believed the risks, or really believed or considered risks to be the truth. Went to the ER twice not able to breathe. Oxygen levels at worst 74%.
I plan to keep my livestock herds, 6 Hereford cows and 4 Oberhasli goats. My Chinese geese. I'll beat this, or learn to manage it and may keep poultry again. For now I've offered all of my work, 9 years to my kids. OE, EE, Ameruacana and I adore my barred rocks. If I can't take care of them myself they cannot stay. The issue with poultry is the dander, who will clean the nest boxes or the coop?
This has been a wake up call for us. We have some very nice backup Roosters I'd hate to cull but right now, no one's staying. I have a family freind that will take any drakes or roosters that's not up to a breeding standard.
Best wishes, Janet. I hope you’re feeling better soon. :hugs

Chaneys Ranch

Formerly jchny2000
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Jun 30, 2012
Pendleton, Indiana, USA
:hugs Be strong. Those nebulizer treatments can help.
They sure have. I was on prednisone and antibiotics, these events were spurred by allergic reactions and asthmatic exacerbation according to the pulmonary Dr. I also had acute bronchitis. All of this started from tearing out and remodeling a room, ugh! 3 episodes later I won't be doing insulation anymore LOL. Animal dander, dust and a whole lot of other things I can't be around anymore. I'm already missing my chickens especially my "Mabels" my barred rock ladies. DD is sending pics of my girls on their laps getting treats.
Best wishes, Janet. I hope you’re feeling better soon. :hugs
Thank you! I'm getting there. A walk to the barn is still not happening yet but I'm trying every day. I'm grateful for my DH and DB picking up my usual activities. Have had a few friends asking about Cornish cross this year, IDK if that's something I can do yet. Feeling like I'm caged up and really want to be me again! Just stinks went from do it all to feeling helpless in a month, ugh.

Chaneys Ranch

Formerly jchny2000
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Jun 30, 2012
Pendleton, Indiana, USA
139886137_4127004333996137_5544958816210676522_o.jpg

On to a positive note... Elsa has blessed us with a heifer again this year! Happy, bouncy little girl. WTG i adore this cow! What an excellent mother. And as usual they won't take shelter, stand out in the snow. The calves do sometimes but never the adults.

Last edited:

Finnie

Crowing
6 Years
Oct 27, 2014
Indianapolis
All of this started from tearing out and remodeling a room,
This reminds me of a BYH member that fell ill from mold in her house where she was remodeling. She stopped posting after that, and we all miss her. She checked in a couple of times, and then no more. Not suggesting that that might happen to you, just saying that people need to be really careful about what they unearth in older homes. I suppose that goes for old barns, too.
It’s nice that your Barred Rocks are still in the family. :hugs

Kristee

Chirping
Jan 4, 2018
Indiana
So I'm not the most active here, but last year I posted asking if anyone had any Silkie and Polish hens as a surprise for my grandpa, since he really loves how they look (but had never had any). He used to raise chickens when he was younger, but cannot care for them on his own anymore. Basically I take care of them, and he gets fresh eggs and to see them whenever he wants. :D

As I posted awhile ago, I didn't find any unfortunately, but I ended up getting him Olive Eggers and a Cream Legbar from Agrarian. He's only ever had white and brown layers, so I figured if I can't find a Silkie, I'd get him some colorful layers. Well, they finally started laying a couple weeks ago! These pictures absolutely do not do the greens justice at all though. The darker one is like a khaki green, though it tends to show up more brown in the photos I take with my phone. The lighter is like a sage green, but it almost looks gray in this picture. They are definitely more olive-y in person, so I'm bummed that I can't get very good photos.

eggs.jpg

So that's a little update.

Also, just as a bonus to share because I'm thrilled, and I've only ever had positive experiences with Agrarian... I can't wait to get our Blue Splash Marans, Silver-laced Wyandotte, and Blue Ameraucana roo from them. They've gone above and beyond for me over the past few years, always, but especially this year. They're actually special ordering the Wyandotte to honor a loved one of mine who has passed away. It was her favorite breed. They offered the option to order one for me when I asked if they had any "left overs" from their last shipment (they didn't). Their offer to me almost made me cry. They special ordered the roo too with no extra banding charge since I had mentioned I wanted a boy who carries blue previously. Sorry for going off on that little tangent! I just cannot praise them enough!

Chaneys Ranch

Formerly jchny2000
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Jun 30, 2012
Pendleton, Indiana, USA
Checking in with y'all hope everyone's flocks and critters are well. I've still got 3 chickens! My OE flock that's left. And getting eggs. I told my daughters I may add a few layers late spring lol but honestly not likely.

My Muscovy ladies and the Brown Chinese are laying also. Haven't been outside in a while now, was warned cold air is really bad for COPD. Family are managing what birds are here. I'm itching to start my garden but being realistic... I'm not going to burden family with my "wants". I'll plant me some tomatoes and that will be about all I can do. The beautiful yellow Dr. Whyche are my favorite. You will never find them in the grocery, I save seeds every year. DH will not eat veges so what I plant is for me.

We had our 1st uterine prolapsed mother cow Gracie this week, stillborn calf and some other issues. I won't continue breeding her. 9 years into cows, this was a first. After discussion with a few vets, including my own. Gracie would be 6 this year, honestly too young to be culled. It's hard making these choices but you have to be diligent about not breeding poor genetics. She left yesterday. Her daughter Molly is here so I'm hoping she won't have calving issues. Sad for her and her Mom very hard choice.

Chaneys Ranch

Formerly jchny2000
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Jun 30, 2012
Pendleton, Indiana, USA
This reminds me of a BYH member that fell ill from mold in her house where she was remodeling. She stopped posting after that, and we all miss her. She checked in a couple of times, and then no more. Not suggesting that that might happen to you, just saying that people need to be really careful about what they unearth in older homes. I suppose that goes for old barns, too.
It’s nice that your Barred Rocks are still in the family. :hugs
I went from 100 mph get her done everyday.. to can't even take steps to our living room without wheezing. Very hard wake up call. :hugs hugs back! I'm frustrated angry and just feel robbed that this came on so fast. Thank you @Finnie you're a good freind to talk to about these life events as we all get older.

Pollitos6

Songster
Apr 30, 2018
Checking in with y'all hope everyone's flocks and critters are well. I've still got 3 chickens! My OE flock that's left. And getting eggs. I told my daughters I may add a few layers late spring lol but honestly not likely.

My Muscovy ladies and the Brown Chinese are laying also. Haven't been outside in a while now, was warned cold air is really bad for COPD. Family are managing what birds are here. I'm itching to start my garden but being realistic... I'm not going to burden family with my "wants". I'll plant me some tomatoes and that will be about all I can do. The beautiful yellow Dr. Whyche are my favorite. You will never find them in the grocery, I save seeds every year. DH will not eat veges so what I plant is for me.

We had our 1st uterine prolapsed mother cow Gracie this week, stillborn calf and some other issues. I won't continue breeding her. 9 years into cows, this was a first. After discussion with a few vets, including my own. Gracie would be 6 this year, honestly too young to be culled. It's hard making these choices but you have to be diligent about not breeding poor genetics. She left yesterday. Her daughter Molly is here so I'm hoping she won't have calving issues. Sad for her and her Mom very hard choice.
Hello,

I am glad to hear from you. Take baby steps until you get better. I like your way of thinking. You like garden and instead of giving up you are doing a small garden. That's the attitude to have. I am sorry about Gracie, when we have animals sometimes we need to make hard decisions. I hope you get all better :hugs

Top Bottom