INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

I have ducklings for sale $5 each one is purebred pekin the other 3 are mixed breeds located close to anderson

in light of my stray dog problem, the DH and i buried the fencing and tacked it to the coop walls, and i made a gate/doorway. after that, i decided since tomorrow is a "ozone action day" i would help the little fluffy butts out. i took lanscaping fabric and tied the corners along the west side of their pens to block the evening sun. i took bamboo and threaded it through the fence and fabric to secure it. it created quite a bit of shade. i'll let you guys know how it turns out with rain and wind.

I have 12 Buff Orpington's 2 1/2 months old running in the chicken yard.
I have 8 Indian Runner ducks 1 1/2 months old in the yard.
I have 4 Guineas 1 1/2 months old in the yard.

I have 27 chicks 1 1/2 months old a mix of SLW, GLW, Jersey Black Giant, Buff and Blue Cochin) that I would like to let run in the yard, but the size difference is so much that I am concerned for the chicks' welfare.

I'm thinking of putting a half dozen chicks out into the yard with the others to see what happens. I have a butterfly net to catch the chicks if things go south.

What do y'all think?

John
My advice? Make daggone well sure that someone is out there video taping some man with a butterfly net being led on a merry chase...

I think I'd just loop up a large section of chickenwire out in the middle of the chicken yard...no posts needed, and less exercise (and stress) when collecting them...gives safe exposure to one another.

I have 16 hens and a rooster but I want to get guineas. anybody know where to get them?

We have a member in greencastle that is selling some. There is Brad who is traveling there to buy birds, he MIGHT have room to bring back some if you can get the details worked out in time. He is leaving this Friday morning. Others are asking him to bring birds back to them.

My advice?  Make daggone well sure that someone is out there video taping some man with a butterfly net being led on a merry chase...

I think I'd just loop up a large section of chickenwire out in the middle of the chicken yard...no posts needed, and less exercise (and stress) when collecting them...gives safe exposure to one another.

That is both hilarious and smart!

[COLOR=800000]HouseKat~ I agree-- the cost of materials plus time spent is always much more than anyone thinks! It can be a fun project if you have lots of time. As CCChickins mentioned, no matter how much time and thought goes into the design, it seems like most people say that there are things they'd change. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=000080][COLOR=800000]Old Salt[/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=003366]~ Glad to hear Millie is doing better![/COLOR]

[COLOR=008080]CRSelvey~ Another common occurance I've noticed on this thread and have experienced myself is that everyone loves their little surprise cockerels' personalities, but it doesn't take long before they are constantly attacking the hens (poor hens can't even relax), crowing all hours of the day, and acting more and more aggressive. If I had a lot of land, a rooster would be nice. I know they have good characteristics and they are gorgeous. I hated to see my hens constantly looking over their backs. It was funny, though, when one of my young cockerels tried to jump on my full grown Jersey Giant's back-- She catapulted him off so fast that he didn't know what happened! He stayed away from her after that-- she just gave him "the look" and he'd mosey on by.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=008080]Do you have any way to separate the healing hen from the roos?  You could always have Brad's Bird Bus pick up your roos on Friday.[/COLOR]

I will have a way to separate them in the next couple of days. Most of the Roos are free- rangers and only come to the house at night except for the two chicks that I know of. I'm still not mad enough to take a chance on them getting eaten by the coons. It should all work itself our when the coop/run is complete. If not ill just put on my big girl pants and tell the kids after they are gone. You are right about liking them when they are small. As I see them getting more aggressive the charm wears off some.

Brad would take my Roos? What would he want with them? The Bantys are really big noise makers for such small birds. If I could get from 7 down to 3 I think is be better off. Then I could get more hens!!! That's how this works right??

Last edited:
Once again, the great chicken train of 2013 will be running the Friday. I will be traveling from the Ft Wayne area to the Greencastle area. I'm taking a hen to drop off and picking up eggs and chicks from littleameraucanamom and bringing them up north. If you'd need me to take something down south or bring something up north, get in touch.

I have pairs or trio of feather shanked Birchen Marans as well as have decided to part with my rhodebar pair (around 15 weeks old I believe) as well as the day old roo rhodebar. Let me know if you're interested. I can bring these along on the trip.

For those wanting Brad to pickup birds for them. Instead of me writing over and over what I have I'm just going to list them, here, Not sure how much room he'll have you'll have to talk to him about the delivery.

All birds are out of show stock

1. LF dark Cornish $10 each these will be a couple days to 1 wk
2. white silkie chicks about 4-5 weeks $15 each
3. Buckeye chicks 3-4 weeks $7 each
4.black and blue silkie cockrels $15 each 4-5 months old
5. LF black and blue cochin 4-6 weeks $15 each
6. Guineas Lavender and pearls some are bibbed 6-8 weeks $8 each , 3-4 weeks $5 each

Then I have some odds and end roosters $10 each (all older and outside already)
1. modern game
2. welsummers
3.Bantam ameraucana

The more you buy the bigger a discount I give. !!!

These people are the best ones to contact if you are interested in Brad's Bird Bus.

I have 12 Buff Orpington's 2 1/2 months old running in the chicken yard.
I have 8 Indian Runner ducks 1 1/2 months old in the yard.
I have 4 Guineas 1 1/2 months old in the yard.

I have 27 chicks 1 1/2 months old a mix of SLW, GLW, Jersey Black Giant, Buff and Blue Cochin) that I would like to let run in the yard, but the size difference is so much that I am concerned for the chicks' welfare.

I'm thinking of putting a half dozen chicks out into the yard with the others to see what happens. I have a butterfly net to catch the chicks if things go south.

What do y'all think?

John

I add new members to the flock every week, Usually 10-15 misc birds. Everyone goes outside at 4 weeks, sooner if it stays warm at night. I usually put them inside the coop at dark after everyone is roosted. So far its went very well, been doing this since march. No losses or injury. The birds have always been mixed species so they are used to oddball birds coming and going. since the geese are back in the main coop, all attacks have stopped. Going forward, I will keep all the coops in one location, just keep expanding from where we are now.

jumpy.gif
INVITATION!!! It's a CHICKEN PARTY
D.gif
celebrate.gif

I've been talking to jchny2000 about her idea for a get-together for the Indiana BYCers. She wasn't able to find a good place to hold it near her house, so I am volunteering to have it at my place.

On Sunday 28 July, my DSO (Significant Other) and I are going to host a meeting of the Central Indiana Poultry Enthusiasts. This is a small club of chicken folk from the general Indy area that meet every other month at the house of one of the members. We admire the hosts chickens and coops, talk endlessly about our birds, and shamelessly steal their best ideas to make our chicks more comfortable (kinda like we do on here!
wink.png
)

We'd like to invite anyone from the forum here that would like to come and meet other people as crazy about chickens as we are.

Here are some details and Ideas.

The meeting is usually from 3 to 5 or 6ish. Bring a lawn chair and a snack to share. Drinks will be provided. The DSO loves to cook, so there will be some fun things to eat too. There will be a tour of our coop and run setup and a meet and greet with our chickens and turkeys. We call it a meeting, but it really is just a chance to socialize with other chicken folk.

One of the things that was talked about was a workshop on processing poultry. I am blessed/cursed with an overabundance of boys at the current time. So I would like to propose that anyone interested in this portion of chickendom can show up around 11, and we can put on the workshop then. If you have a bird that needs to have that 'One Bad Day', go ahead and bring it. I can promise to have at least one bird for demo purposes and will probably have more than that if one or two people want to try their hand at it. For those that are not interested in this, we promise to be done and all cleaned up before 3.

Another idea is that if you know someone else who is coming and would like to arrange to swap/sell/transfer birds, that is fine by me. I have a large garage that has never seen my chickens, so I can offer it up as a place to keep birds being swapped so that they can be out of the sun and not kept in a car. Please make your arrangements ahead of time, and only bring birds that are already spoken for.

Our farm is located just east of Mooresville, IN. Which is located just SW of Indy not too far from the airport.

I'm just paranoid enough about things to not want to post my address and phone number on the forum where it is available to anyone and everyone, so what I would like to propose is that if you are interested in coming, please send me a PM, and I'll put together an email to send out to the participants with all the pertinent details.

If you have any questions, or suggestions, send me a note.

Hope you can make it!
frow.gif

Patrick

My spell checker here promises that if you come, he will be more than happy to entertain you with his cuteness. (Don't tell him that he will be at that awkward age by then....)
I think this will be sooo awesome!!
highfive.gif
I have it marked in on my calender. I will bring a turkey poult that will be ready by then! If any roos are old enough I can bring more. Will PM you! Also, If anyone wants to demo processing quail, duck, goose etc shout out, I know quail was mentioned already. I am very grateful, everywhere I spoke with wanted to charge to put the program on, and use facilities.

Back
Top Bottom