INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

I just got this Red Golden Pheasant from MillerFarm.

Here's the back story:

Quote:
So after I got him, I looked over the legs. No obvious broken bones.

I held him on his back (legs up) and straightened both legs. The good one immediately sprang into the crouched position. The bad one just stayed put. When he is standing, the bad leg is not tucked up, it just hangs there with the foot just off of the floor with perhaps one talon touching lightly on the floor. He just stands on the good foot and looks around.

He looks pretty beat up. Obviously the &*%(*&%$#)(*^^^ sale barn took the best care of him. (*&%&^*( jerks. He looks like crap warmed over twice. He has a general look about him like he has been in fight and came up loser. His tail feathers are broken off to perhaps 1/2 length. Looks like many feathers are missing. He has a black scab on the point of the elbow of the bad leg. I checked the feet and there is no sign of Bumble-foot.

My guess is a pulled ligament in the elbow of the right leg.

A 1-legged pheasant can prosper in a captive environment, but I want to make the effort to save him the aggravation. I prefer to name him "Red" rather than "Hoppy". Vet bills are not an option.

I am thinking of taping his leg into a retracted position to keep him from re-injuring it when he hops around, checking it every couple of weeks to see if the ligament has re-attached. But I'm not sure this would be a good move or if it would make it worse. I will be keeping him in a extra large dog crate until he gets better. Kicked the Labrador out. She'll have to sleep on a carpet on the garage floor.

What do youse guyz think?

I'm guessing he is gangly teen-ager. Just getting full sized.

John
Good luck with the leg, I wouldn't tape it, especially if he is still growing. just confine with old towels (i see you are) so he doesn't slip. He is in good hands
big_smile.png

Quote:
thumbsup.gif
SO AWESOME, X2!
clap.gif

Quote:
Haha! I may actually go to state fair this year, be my first time
lau.gif
yep its contagious and we all got it!!

For an interim solution while I get a proper coop sorted out I'm thinking about buying this, wrapping it in hardware cloth, and keeping the chicks in it. They are rapidly outgrowing their tote box homes. Any thoughts?

great idea, will be really cute too!

Dust bathed all the chickens with the 7 dust boy was that hard will do another treatment in a week or two how do I keep my flock from over heating??? Mr. Frizz was so hot he was laying down I thought he was dead but nope he's not thank gosh

Old Salt & CCCCHICKENS:
Since both of you have birds with hurt legs and I have one as well, I wanted to let you know of a site I ran across: https://sites.google.com/a/larsencreek.com/chicken-orthopedics/ It's a Poultry Podiatry page that has a lot of information and photos at the bottom, which might help you two. I am frustrated because I still don't know what to do for my 3 month old lavender pullet. She apparently stubbled and slipped while getting in the dog kennel crate for the night. She can take a couple of steps, but that's all. She's eating and drinking, but sometimes pants, so I am thinking of giving her a half of a baby aspirin in a treat.

animal lover~ Keeping Chickens Cool We have water misters set up with a large fan. If you have a fan or more, use them. You can mist your flock with a spray bottle. Hose off the yard areas where they are to cool it down. Make sure they have bowls of fresh water and shady places to go. Make cool dirt bath areas under a bushes. Mine love cold watermelon. I give them a few slices every afternoon. I've heard of people freezing liter soft drink plastic bottles and putting them near the chickens. If they are looking stressed, you can use sav-a chick electrolytes like you've used before. There are also homemade electrolyte recipes online.

well got an egg today (first of all that was surprising since it was so freakin hot). it didn't match any of the fat little stark white ovals that i have been getting lately, was slightly bigger than all the rest, and it was tinted an off-white color. this can only mean one thing..... i think my red pullet Big Red has started laying!!!!!!!!! i am so happy that she has finely started laying cuz she is my fave hen. definitely made sure i gave them some electrolytes today in their water (or whatever comes in that little blue packet) cuz it was so hot.

oldsalt-- it makes me sad to see such a beautiful specimen of a bird in such bad condition. i'm sure you'll get him looking good again!

emsteele-- congrats on ur son's great show!

hope everyone else it doing well!!
great news, I also saw one of my lavender orp hens in a nestbox today!
love.gif

Our first egg!!! We are so excited!!!
So, can you eat the first eggs if they appear normal looking?? I have heard stories of eggs with no shell and deformed eggs coming out first, so I just assumed you couldn't eat the first eggs. This one appears normal, does that mean it can be eaten?
Yes even the odd shaped ones are usually ok. I feed the shell less ones to my hogs. Also good for the birds themselves. or a dog, or cat! (cook first tho)

This girl got some pretties today!! So excited! Booker has a harem now lol

love.gif
Just cutie pies!

Dust bathed all the chickens with the 7 dust boy was that hard will do another treatment in a week or two how do I keep my flock from over heating??? Mr. Frizz was so hot he was laying down I thought he was dead but nope he's not thank gosh

Freeze empty drink bottles with water and put into their waterers. helps a lot to have cooled water. make sure there is plenty of shade, and room for each bird to relax. Dust bathing is important too.
ETA oops some of thats already posted LOL!

Last edited:

Our first egg!!! We are so excited!!!
So, can you eat the first eggs if they appear normal looking?? I have heard stories of eggs with no shell and deformed eggs coming out first, so I just assumed you couldn't eat the first eggs. This one appears normal, does that mean it can be eaten?
If you blow it out and save the egg innards that are blown out, you can make a scrambled egg from it. That way you keep the egg shell and still get to eat the egg.

John

Old Salt & CCCCHICKENS:
Since both of you have birds with hurt legs and I have one as well, I wanted to let you know of a site I ran across: https://sites.google.com/a/larsencreek.com/chicken-orthopedics/ It's a Poultry Podiatry page that has a lot of information and photos at the bottom, which might help you two. I am frustrated because I still don't know what to do for my 3 month old lavender pullet. She apparently stubbled and slipped while getting in the dog kennel crate for the night. She can take a couple of steps, but that's all. She's eating and drinking, but sometimes pants, so I am thinking of giving her a half of a baby aspirin in a treat.
After studying the article, I'm thinking it might be "Slipped Achilles Tendon in the Hock Joint".

I will inspect tomorrow with this possibility in mind.

Thanks, good find.

John

Old salt- good advice!! And keep us updated on Jimmy!! My neighbor has some and they are interesting to hear! Along with her peacocks, guinnies and other critters! Hope you can get him well!!
wink.png

The Decatur Co fair starts 11-18! I always drag the DH thru all the animals! He has a new appreciation now though!

And I'm as proud as a peacock.......
Is your neighbor interested in selling any Red Goldens? Jimmy will need a friend.

John

Back
Top Bottom