INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Where did you get your ccl eggs from? I picked up 4 pullets and a cockerel about a week old from a lady in Illinois last week as well as some eggs to hatch. Hopefully better luck hatching this time around.
These were an eBay buy. I think I posted the seller earlier. We'll see what hatches. Most of the eggs developed but we will see.
James did amazing! He is a mini so no one has the better rabbit, the judge just tells then the good and bad of each. Ironman is a good looking boy and James knew the answer to every question asked! I am SO proud of him!!!!
Awesome! Congrats to James (and Ironman)
I just got this Red Golden Pheasant from MillerFarm. Here's the back story: So after I got him, I looked over the legs. No obvious broken bones. I held him on his back (legs up) and straightened both legs. The good one immediately sprang into the crouched position. The bad one just stayed put. When he is standing, the bad leg is not tucked up, it just hangs there with the foot just off of the floor with perhaps one talon touching lightly on the floor. He just stands on the good foot and looks around. He looks pretty beat up. Obviously the &*%(*&%$#)(*^^^ sale barn took the best care of him. (*&%&^*( jerks. He looks like crap warmed over twice. He has a general look about him like he has been in fight and came up loser. His tail feathers are broken off to perhaps 1/2 length. Looks like many feathers are missing. He has a black scab on the point of the elbow of the bad leg. I checked the feet and there is no sign of Bumble-foot. My guess is a pulled ligament in the elbow of the right leg. A 1-legged pheasant can prosper in a captive environment, but I want to make the effort to save him the aggravation. I prefer to name him "Red" rather than "Hoppy". Vet bills are not an option. I am thinking of taping his leg into a retracted position to keep him from re-injuring it when he hops around, checking it every couple of weeks to see if the ligament has re-attached. But I'm not sure this would be a good move or if it would make it worse. I will be keeping him in a extra large dog crate until he gets better. Kicked the Labrador out. She'll have to sleep on a carpet on the garage floor. What do youse guyz think? I'm guessing he is gangly teen-ager. Just getting full sized. John
Beautiful! One days wouldn't mind a couple different ornamental pheasants.
I had been checking out Craigslist for chicks for awhile now. Of course everyone is an hour or more away from me. I was driving one day, taking a scenic route somewhere, and low and behold, there's a sign for chicks, turkeys, ducks, rabbits and veggies. Of course I had to stop and look. It was just a family operation, not the most elaborate place I have ever seen; either way I wanted to see what I could get. I ended up with 2 red sex links, 2 black sex links, 4 turkeys, and 2 bantams. I didn't plan on having bantams in my flock, but OMG they were so cute!! And I like having the turkeys because I have 2 older ones that we got with my older girls and they seem to try and protect them! So I have fallen in love with the bantams. I pick them up and they settle in my arms and just coo. I don't know what they're breeds are. If anyone knows...let me know!
Congrats! Im not sure what they are. I'm curious as to what others think.

I'm picking up the tent structure for $100 off of Craigslist, and I was thinking that one 50' roll of 48" hardware cloth ($40) and a package of heavy-duty zip ties ($10) would enclose it for the moment. (Using the zipties to make it all easy to disassemble, recycle materials.)

After you get the chicken run finished, you could cut the legs of the tent thing down to 3 ft, and make one heck of a good shade/shelter for your feathered varmits.

Or use it full size for yourself to set in bug free splendor while you watch the aforementioned varmits.

Or you could bring it to my house so I could set in ................................

John

Amwchicken- my first guess is Millie's. maybe a porcelin and Millie. More pics please!!

House at- I like your idea!!!

Emsteel- congrats to James and Ironman!!!

Kabhyper-- cute fluff balls!!!!

After you get the chicken run finished, you could cut the legs of the tent thing down to 3 ft, and make one heck of a good shade/shelter for your feathered varmits. Or use it full size for yourself to set in bug free splendor while you watch the aforementioned varmits. Or you could bring it to my house so I could set in ................................ John
I was thinking the same thing...it would look good here :)
This girl got some pretties today!! So excited! Booker has a harem now lol Very pretty!
I had been checking out Craigslist for chicks for awhile now. Of course everyone is an hour or more away from me. I was driving one day, taking a scenic route somewhere, and low and behold, there's a sign for chicks, turkeys, ducks, rabbits and veggies. Of course I had to stop and look. It was just a family operation, not the most elaborate place I have ever seen; either way I wanted to see what I could get. I ended up with 2 red sex links, 2 black sex links, 4 turkeys, and 2 bantams. I didn't plan on having bantams in my flock, but OMG they were so cute!! I don't know what they're breeds are. If anyone knows...let me know!
I don't but they are adorable. I am so excited. Tonight 9 of the 10 chickens went straight to the coop and tucked themselves in. The one lonely roo won't go in and I think he's mourning his hen. They fly out of our garden area and I'm pretty sure a coon got her. I hope he decides to stay with the others so it doesn't happen to him also. Everyone hanging in the coop ( this is not a TSC add)

Our first egg!!! We are so excited!!!
So, can you eat the first eggs if they appear normal looking?? I have heard stories of eggs with no shell and deformed eggs coming out first, so I just assumed you couldn't eat the first eggs. This one appears normal, does that mean it can be eaten?

I expect mistreatment is the exception rather than the rule. An injured bird all beat up sells for $10. The same bird healthy is $150. Not much incentive to mistreat your livestock.

I save most of my sympathy for beaten/starved children whose mother/father/caregiver sells the WICC food for the next dope fix. My daughter just adopted 2 such children. The 6-year old girl was the main caregiver for her 1-year old brother. He tested positive for THC and cocaine when he was removed from his grandfather's custody (the mother dumped and ran).

Both children are now in prime condition, having won life's lottery of love and compassion.

John
It's good to put things in perspective. Your daughter is remarkable to adopt such needy children. Is she a foster parent? I'm sure you will enrich the children's lives by teaching them about caring for animals and birds. There are so many horribly sad situations, both for people and creatures.

well got an egg today (first of all that was surprising since it was so freakin hot). it didn't match any of the fat little stark white ovals that i have been getting lately, was slightly bigger than all the rest, and it was tinted an off-white color. this can only mean one thing..... i think my red pullet Big Red has started laying!!!!!!!!! i am so happy that she has finely started laying cuz she is my fave hen. definitely made sure i gave them some electrolytes today in their water (or whatever comes in that little blue packet) cuz it was so hot.

oldsalt-- it makes me sad to see such a beautiful specimen of a bird in such bad condition. i'm sure you'll get him looking good again!

emsteele-- congrats on ur son's great show!

hope everyone else it doing well!!

stssedmom-- congrats on your first egg!! it is quite "eggciting" when you finally get your first!! i am also blowing out my first one to keep it an painting it gold so i can always have that first "golden egg" !!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom