INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Re: Red Golden Pheasant
Old Salt~
I have no advice considering I have a Lavender pullet with a hurt leg and I don't know what to do other than keep her in the dog kennel inside. I just wanted to say that you're a good guy for taking care of this poor bird (and the MillerBirds are also heroes for saving it). The "sale barn" is why the idea of a swap meet type of thing bothers me. I admit that I have never been to one, but I've heard enough stories on this site about heartless people trying to pawn off injured birds and animals. I understand that there are successful transactions, too, but it seems like unethical people are encouraged to profit from uncared for creatures.

Old Salt~
I have no advice considering I have a Lavender pullet with a hurt leg and I don't know what to do other than keep her in the dog kennel inside. I just wanted to say that you're a good guy for taking care of this poor bird (and the MillerBirds are also heroes for saving it). The "sale barn" is why the idea of a swap meet type of thing bothers me. I admit that I have never been to one, but I've heard enough stories on this site about heartless people trying to pawn off injured birds and animals. I understand that there are successful transactions, too, but it seems like unethical people are encouraged to profit from uncared for creatures.

I expect mistreatment is the exception rather than the rule. An injured bird all beat up sells for $10. The same bird healthy is $150. Not much incentive to mistreat your livestock.

I save most of my sympathy for beaten/starved children whose mother/father/caregiver sells the WICC food for the next dope fix. My daughter just adopted 2 such children. The 6-year old girl was the main caregiver for her 1-year old brother. He tested positive for THC and cocaine when he was removed from his grandfather's custody (the mother dumped and ran).

Both children are now in prime condition, having won life's lottery of love and compassion.

John

Old Salt~
When I used to own horses Me and some of my family and friends would go to a sale barn. We never sold any there because some of the people there were buying to butcher them (which you arent suppose to do). Some horses were in bad condition, but some people that actually cared about there animals had beautiful horses and knew what price they wanted and wouldnt take any less. We would buy horses when we could and found decent ones. Onetime we bought a foal that was in a pen with at least 20 others.later at home we later found out that she had something wrong with her ankle. (this one wasnt my horse). Many vet bills later, not being able to fix her ankle we had to put her down, she wasnt even a year old.

A few months ago Someone told me that somewhere or someone that had something to do with the sale barn, at there house there were many malnourished animals and carcasses. I wont go into great detail but it was bad. That is the only sale barn that I have been to be needless to say I dont like them.

I have heard many good things about swap meets. There has been a few stories I heard about people pawning of sick birds or selling birds as things they werent, but I have heard way more good reviews.

I had been checking out Craigslist for chicks for awhile now. Of course everyone is an hour or more away from me. I was driving one day, taking a scenic route somewhere, and low and behold, there's a sign for chicks, turkeys, ducks, rabbits and veggies.

Of course I had to stop and look. It was just a family operation, not the most elaborate place I have ever seen; either way I wanted to see what I could get. I ended up with 2 red sex links, 2 black sex links, 4 turkeys, and 2 bantams. I didn't plan on having bantams in my flock, but OMG they were so cute!!

And I like having the turkeys because I have 2 older ones that we got with my older girls and they seem to try and protect them!

So I have fallen in love with the bantams. I pick them up and they settle in my arms and just coo.

I don't know what they're breeds are. If anyone knows...let me know!

For an interim solution while I get a proper coop sorted out I'm thinking about buying this, wrapping it in hardware cloth, and keeping the chicks in it. They are rapidly outgrowing their tote box homes. Any thoughts?

He looks good in his new home. I apologize for not knowing his history more. When we bought him, he was just laying in straw in a milk crate was not till we got him home in a larger cage that we saw his injured leg. We have just fed and watered him no medical care yet. If you think it is a joint issue, I would treat it like a human's. Soak in epsom salt, immobalize, and maybe some ointment like eucalyptus or something. Obviously I do not know, but I am sure you will be able to figure something great out. And as far as the Veedersburg Sale Barn, they all seem like a great group of people and most of the buyers are big animal lovers. Of course you have 'unwanted' animals there, but there is no harm in that. Thanks again John and thanks for showing us around your place today.

Last edited:
For an interim solution while I get a proper coop sorted out I'm thinking about buying this, wrapping it in hardware cloth, and keeping the chicks in it. They are rapidly outgrowing their tote box homes. Any thoughts?
I thought of doing something similar as a permanent solution for my bigger birds. Right now my peacocks roosts in the trees and my ducks and goose underneath the coop. I think that is a lovely chicken/bird house.

Heading to the fair tonight to check out the 4H chickens....

Pretty sure that's the first time I've ever said that! We always walk through the poultry barns but I'm excited to see how much I've learned over the past 6 months. They always looked the same to me and now I'll be able to tell the different breeds. DH thinks I'm kind of crazy, but secretly I think he kind of likes it. Hoping the rain holds off long enough for us to go!

:he We just received the hardware cloth we ordered for my coop expansion, and it turns out they sent us the wrong kind. I ordered 1/2 inch 19 gauge wire and got 1/4 inch 23 gauge wire. This stuff is weak. No way I'm relying on it to keep my girls safe! Now I've got to wait another week or more to get the right wire! :he
I think this would work nicely. I used a net house/gazebo type thing for one set of chicks I had that were outgrowing their pens and they were happy to have the room. :) If you secure the wire well enough, you could also use it later as a section of their run or as a mobile pen of some sort.

Heading to the fair tonight to check out the 4H chickens....

Pretty sure that's the first time I've ever said that! We always walk through the poultry barns but I'm excited to see how much I've learned over the past 6 months. They always looked the same to me and now I'll be able to tell the different breeds. DH thinks I'm kind of crazy, but secretly I think he kind of likes it. Hoping the rain holds off long enough for us to go!
You're definitely not crazy. Or if you are, it's catching!! I've been excited that the State Fair is coming up for the same reason. The past few years, we've gone and looked at the poultry, and thought they were cool, now with everything I've learned, I can't wait to see the different breeds in person. Maybe even make some contacts that could really make my chicken math worse!

Back
Top Bottom