INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jchny2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Kiniska

Kiniska Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2012
    English, Indiana
    The other thing you can do is separate her but place 1 or two of the most docile hens with her as companions. That way she won't be the only newbie when you add them back into the flock.

2. DarthLayer

DarthLayer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2013
    Indiana
    I have one blue ameruacana hen and a blue wheaten ameruacana roo. They are both 20 weeks old but I realized they seemed to be small for their age. So I was thinking what may have caused theire small sized and then it hit me. I put them on layer feed way to early for there age (they were six weeks old when I did that) and now I feel really stupid of why I would do that. My main question is are they small because I put them on layer early or is it something else? And if it was because of me switching the feed is the damage already done or could I put them on starter again?

Any thoughts?

3. itsjustme

itsjustme Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2013
    Indiana
    I've managed to catch up and keep up with this thread I think. I wanted to reply to a few but can't quote (stupid phone) and now that I'm here I can't remember who I wanted to reply to. But I wanted to say welcome to the newbies. Sorry to everyone who's had losses lately. The temps have been horrible! I've been worried to death about my animals. I've not been having much luck with anything. I thought I finally had it figured out and things going well but now I have a duck with issues. Idk if its sick or injued so I'm thinking about trying to find a vet on this one. On another note I believe it was Brad who said he use to incubate reptile eggs? I no this is not chicken related but I was curious if you still have reptiles, and if so what kind? Hope everyone has a good day and stays cool.

4. Crafty chick

Crafty chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2012
    Pierceton, Indiana
    i let all of mine out to free range, hoping they find cool shade. it's so humid though, it's hard to find relief.

5. bradselig

bradselig Overrun With Chickens

Apr 29, 2012
    Warren, IN
    yup I used to have a lot of reptiles. My younger brother helped out with them so it wasnt bad until he moved out lol. We had close to 100 reptiles. Most were blue tongue skinks and crested geckos, but also had leopard geckos, ball pythons, chameleons, tokay geckos, corn snakes, argentine tegu, and a few others including tarantulas. Once he moved out it was way too much for me to care for on my own with 3 dogs, cat, and a parrot (chickens came after most reptiles were sold). I still have a few blue tongue skinks but would like to get some crested geckos again.

6. jchny2000

jchny2000 Goslings are precious!

Jun 30, 2012
    Pendleton, Indiana, USA

7. julie0477

julie0477 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Brown County, Indiana
    I've done the same. So far so good. There were pretty happy to see me when I got home from work yesterday though. They had drank all of their waterers dry. I refilled those and freshened up the duck pool and all was right with the world again. I'll be happy to get a break from this over the weekend, but then it looks like chance of storms nearly every day next week. Can't win. Is 75 degrees and sunny every day too much to ask? :)

8. browncow15

browncow15 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Indiana

The gate incident was probably a month ago, I looked her over really well when it happened but she didn't seem injured just scared. Ill see what I can do to get a seperate area for her for a bit. Ofcourse shes the only one that has a name ;) and is by far the friendliest chicken so I'll give her a chance.

9. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    aww, poor baby turkey, sorry about your loss.

10. bloonskiller911

bloonskiller911 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2012
    Brookville, Indiana
    Quote:I don't know for sure, I think that ameracana's are naturally smaller than some of the large fowl. I know all of my EE's are smaller than the rest of my large fowl. I could be blowing smoke though. my chicks only get starter for about 4-6 weeks then the switch to cracked corn/free range with the rest of my flock. I've never had any grown problems from that. could they be bantams?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by