INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

I believe I posted before on the old thread, but another Northern Indiana resident here.
frow.gif

I do more "trolling" than posting.
big_smile.png

I have approx. 25 chickens. All different breeds (I like to experiment).

Winter so far has been OK. Our coop is pretty well insulated, but one of my roos did get some frostbite on two of his comb "peaks". Not sure how concerned I should be considering we haven't even hit the coldest part of winter yet. We didn't have any problems last winter, but it was a really mild one. Since this fall we lost 2 birds (one bantam, one full size) to hawk(s) and one bantam who just never came home one evening. Of all the birds I'm only getting bout 2 eggs/day right now. Bummer.

Where are you in Northern IN?

Some friends of ours have silkies, so we will probably go with them. Not too good for food or eggs, but they look silly. As for a duck, we want an Indian runner. Just a bit worried cause there is supposedly an ordinance against chickens in our town, but from what I see a lot of people have them. We've only lived here a year so we don't know the history of it.

Jason

They are pretty easy to keep. Good alfalfa hay, regular stool checks. They are escape artists tho! They eat a pellet feed like most of the livestock. Billys can be a bit of handful at times.

Shelter, protection from preditors, clean fresh water, vaccinations, regular hoof trimmings, wormings as needed, grain, hay(when browse isn't availabe) grass is fine if they are not producing milk then alfalfa, mineral supplements, other goats or other animal companionship, and lots of love! I love my goats. They are fun and mischevious. Like 3 year olds with hooves!
lol.png

It sounds like I will wait to get a goat until I have a teen age son to help. For now my boy will keep helping with the chickens.

Some friends of ours have silkies, so we will probably go with them. Not too good for food or eggs, but they look silly. As for a duck, we want an Indian runner. Just a bit worried cause there is supposedly an ordinance against chickens in our town, but from what I see a lot of people have them. We've only lived here a year so we don't know the history of it.

Jason

I love my Silkies and the girls are good producers. They were producing eggs daily until recently. Of course, they do like to go broody but they make the best moms. My little d'Uccle pullets are still laying almost every day. I thought for sure that they would stop with this cold weather. My 2 BO pullets give me an egg maybe every other day now.

new to the group today. I am in Indianapolis on the northeast side. I currently have 1 rooster (Black Australorp), 2 Black Australorp pullets, and 3 Red Star pullets. I picked them all up on February 29, 2012. Around Christmas, I hatched out 5 of 8 eggs (first time attempt) ijn a homemade cardboard box incubator. They should have an interesting look with the father being blackand the mothers the reddish brown color. I currently have 6 eggs in a new homemade incubator (placed Jan 3rd). The December hatches can be seen live (if they decide to go into the camera view) here. http://www.ustream.tv/channel/cwaf . The girls and the General are out and about, roaming the yard in the paths that the dogs and I created. Maybe we will see more of the green stuff if the temps hit the 50's as forecasted this week!

I'm finally getting back.... So here's my introduction!

My first 6 chicks came from Townline Hatchery and I ordered them through Matthys Farm Market in South Bend so I could get just a few. (Matthy's takes specific orders from individuals in the spring then pools the order so there is no minimum.)

When I started out I had just a few goals and I have to say I've learned a TON since beginning and my understanding, and therefore my goals, have expanded quite a bit. However, here are the originals:

My original goals were:
-To raise animals that are fed what they would naturally eat so that their meat and eggs are healthy for us (rather than the typical factory-farm fare).
-To raise them, in general, as "natural" or "organic" as possible without drugs, hormones, etc.
-To allow them to forage, as much as possible, for their food.
-To begin to raise food for ourselves to become more self-reliant and less dependent on the "grocery store"
-To decide if I wanted to continue with chickens long-term.

The breeds I chose for the main group were:
-"Old Breeds" that are dual purpose with a good ability for laying. (No "egg machines" that burn out quickly.)
-Reputation for the ability to Forage well.
-Cold-hardy and heat tolerant.

Secondary breed choice:
-Wanted some colored eggs for variety; general rules don't apply here!

I wanted to start out SMALL and decide if I wanted to continue with the chickens so I only got 6 to start:
2 RIR
2 BR
2 Aracaunas

As I said, I've learned a lot since I began and will likely not purchase chicks from the hatchery again. I WILL continue with chickens. As some of you know, one of my RIRs went broody and is now taking care of a brood of 4 Swedish Flower Hens (don't know sex yet - they're 1 week at this writing). (Originally Imported to the US in 2010 by Greenfire Farms.)

My future breed goals are to go to all heritage birds (by fertile egg or chicks) from good lines that I can continue to propagate for my future flocks. I prefer not to have chicks shipped and will travel a reasonable distance to pick them up.

I found a wonderful feed mill where I can order feed formulated the way I want it. I tell them what I don't or do want to include and they formulate for vitamin/mineral/protein content depending on what I'm feeding (chicks, layers, broilers, etc.) Only caveat is that I have to purchase 300 lbs minimum. I was able to find someone to share with me so that has worked out very well. I feed organic with no soy (fitting to my goals). The mill also will formulate not organic but non-GMO, or conventional....whatever I want. Since I have to purchase in quantity, I decided to have them formulate an "all purpose" with 16% protein and low enough on calcium that I can feed it to the chicks. Then I put out calcarb free choice for the layers and supplement protein for the littles.

I think someone was going to put together a list of feed sources for Indiana so whenever that comes up let me know and I'll get the info to you!

So...there's the "overview introduction"!

Jason

Jason there is a limited list here on BYC on cities and towns that allow it. 1 way to find out is either from a pay phone or pre-paid cell phone (and do not give your name or address) and call the local zoneing office for the city or town you live in.

Back
Top Bottom