INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

VERY NICE!!!! You should be proud! And your "kiddos" look very healthy (including the one w/the green shirt
tongue.png
)
Thanks. Kyle likes his ''comb'', or mohawk. I'm telling him his mohawk looks like a roosters comb.

Hi! I'm learning quickly how busy this thread is! We have 5 Buff Orpingtons, 6 Red Pullets, and 6 from the straight run so I'm not sure what they are. I don't even know if I have all that straight...lol. We picked them up at Tractor Supply on Saturday. We did lose the one we had to quarantine
hit.gif
but the rest are doing great so far. We are newbies!!

Welcome from another Newbie! This is our first go round with chickens. My husband and nephew are building a 8x12 coop. We will have 12 in there. Then they are going to do some modifications to an old play house to house the other 12. It is amazing how one day you are thinking about having chickens and then the next you have a house full. LOL
Good Luck on your chicken adventure!
yippiechickie.gif

Thanks, I look forward to seeing the pictures.
when you are making your fodder, do you start off with any dirt or just water?

do you think that a patch of fodder would transplant well to a bare spot?

Just water nothing else. I am not sure if you could transplant or not. They day most if the nutrients are there in first 8 days after that nothing is gained

Too Fast - If your chicks are 6 weeks, that's an awful lot of waddle and comb for the New Hampshire. I see the size difference with your 'bantam'... I too am waiting for the rain to die down so I can go collect eggs. Unlike the turkey who are standing out in it like it is spring sprinkles.. I can see it is raining hard enough to make your head bleed. I can wait.

Jaknkym - I have had a few issue with my chicks from TSC. Pasty butt being my number one. Also had a few fatalities. Think this is my first and last year of going to TSC for chicks for that reason. Sorry you have had to deal with a death already. Sounds like you picked a great mix of chickens though. Good luck!

Bloonskiller - Welcome back to technology. Sure it was nice to have the break though. Liking the sheep. I have an issue with certain farm animals and the size of their eyes. If they have big eyes, I give them a wide berth.. cows, horses sheep etc. Not sure what traumatic repressed situation I have had to feel like that. I like them, but only from afar.

Idymelissande - I have had to rescue many a chick from outside the brooder. Hop, skip and a jump off the water bottle and they are floor bound and my bathroom now has chick sized 'landmines' on it. The chicken wire top should stop that from happening.

Too Fast - If your chicks are 6 weeks, that's an awful lot of waddle and comb for the New Hampshire. I see the size difference with your 'bantam'... I too am waiting for the rain to die down so I can go collect eggs. Unlike the turkey who are standing out in it like it is spring sprinkles.. I can see it is raining hard enough to make your head bleed. I can wait.

Jaknkym - I have had a few issue with my chicks from TSC. Pasty butt being my number one. Also had a few fatalities. Think this is my first and last year of going to TSC for chicks for that reason. Sorry you have had to deal with a death already. Sounds like you picked a great mix of chickens though. Good luck!

Bloonskiller - Welcome back to technology. Sure it was nice to have the break though. Liking the sheep. I have an issue with certain farm animals and the size of their eyes. If they have big eyes, I give them a wide berth.. cows, horses sheep etc. Not sure what traumatic repressed situation I have had to feel like that. I like them, but only from afar.

Idymelissande - I have had to rescue many a chick from outside the brooder. Hop, skip and a jump off the water bottle and they are floor bound and my bathroom now has chick sized 'landmines' on it. The chicken wire top should stop that from happening.

I read on another thread that TSC has francised locations so it all boils down to management and training for how well they handle chicks, and I know that RK has fewer issues but there's are management varies so much that one RK may handle there's different and therefor it may be better or worse than another. Plus I read where someone went to their TSC everytime there was a shipment that comes in because they gave away all the chicks with pasty but so they would by a few birds or some supplies and get a bunch of free chicks and they built there flock up, plus had extras to sell, give away or send to freezer camp....

So collecting todays eggs... The rain has pooled in the darn coop
he.gif
. There is at least an inch of standing water in half of the coop, the rest is a squelchy mess. My poor chickens. DH said we should address this soon. I agree. Think we are just going to have to do a few bags of concrete, working in sections. Not sure what the heck to do with the chickens while we accomplish this.

Anyone fancy baby sitting 10 chickens for the night
D.gif

Quote:
we have a small mud spot in front of the door leading to the run. Since we walk there is it nearly impossible to seed the area. I was thinking about transplanting grass in hopes of getting rid of the mud.

if that does not work perhaps a concrete paver or two from walmart or other big box store when they are on close out this fall.

I read on another thread that TSC has francised locations so it all boils down to management and training for how well they handle chicks, and I know that RK has fewer issues but there's are management varies so much that one RK may handle there's different and therefor it may be better or worse than another. Plus I read where someone went to their TSC everytime there was a shipment that comes in because they gave away all the chicks with pasty but so they would by a few birds or some supplies and get a bunch of free chicks and they built there flock up, plus had extras to sell, give away or send to freezer camp....

My RIR were from Orschlens. Had a minor pasty butt issues with a few but nothing over a couple of days. Grew into a beautiful healthy flock.
I think every chick I have purchased from TSC so far as been stricken with pasty butt to different degrees. One severe enough I am blaming for the loss. Could not clean it off faster than it was being produced. Still having a few problems with my 6 week old silkie. Found it rather frustrating, but glad I had the knoweledge to know I can help out the chicks. First timers might not know it can cause so many problems and leave it. Overall not happy with TSC.
The chicks I got from Brad have been so squeeky clean and full of vigor. Guess from now on, either hatch my own or get them from peoples exsisting flocks.

Ahhhh! Ok, about 1/2 hour ago I went out between the rain.... let the dog run around, checked on the 4 week olds... gave them some FF for the night THEN came the HAIL! I was stooped over putting it inside and noticed feet sticking UP from the pile of chicks... they were sooo scared of the storm they just piled in a corner. I stuck my hand into the pile and spread them out checking for a lifeless body. All were ok, but I had to run in hail with the dog to the house. Sure stings when it hits your thigh!

Back
Top Bottom