INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

We cant eat the eggs right now since we wormed them 3 weeks ago. So I am chucking 7 eggs a day into the woods lol.
Tossing eggs into the woods is inviting egg-eating varmints to your place. Scramble the eggs shells and all and recycle them to your chickens or dogs.

Better to run them down the garbage disposal than toss them.

John

I got 2 duck eggs and 2 chicken eggs today. The ducks are doing great as I only have 2 ducks. 2 of the 3 hens in the breeding area finally decided to lay today after almost a week off as a protest to moving in with the roo.

My 3 Indian Runner ducks were dropping 1 or 2 per day until a week ago when they stopped. Haven't gotten one since.

I have 24 hens and have been getting 16-18/day.

I have 1 Labrador Retriever and get nothing from her.

John

Last edited:
I live in the city of Fort Wayne, IN and I am trying to get a group together to approach the City Counsel about changing the laws. Fort Wayne currently allows zero livestock no questions, no restrictions, just none in city limits. I would greatly appreciate any feedback or guidance.
Thank you!
Crazy4HensPiz ~ Welcome to the Indiana Thread!

Unfortunately, people don't understand what chickens are like-- I didn't before I had them. People need to realize that hens are much less noisy that leaf blowers, lawn mowers, chain saws, barking dogs, and screaming kids. There are many advantages to having a few hens for pets including having healthful eggs.

Here is a link about South Bend recently getting approval for owning chickens. I'm sure it would be helpful to contact someone from their organization to find out how they were able to be successful.
Indiana city to allow chickens - but no roosters | FortWayne.com ...

There is some info on the backyard chickens site in case you haven't seen it yet:
Chicken Laws and Ordinances (And how to change them ...
Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances - Backyard Chickens

I found some other info online: (and there is much more)
How to Change Chicken-Raising Regulations - For Dummies
How to get your city to allow backyard chickens | Grist

We had someone recently ask a similar question, so you might want to contact this person who is interested in the issue:
(post 15727 on page1573 of this thread) 10/15/13 Twizzlebee posted: Hey guys:) Sorry to butt in, but I'm moving to Ft Wayne in april, and am curious on the legality of owning chickens within the city? I'd probably only get 2 or 3 bantam hens, I just can't imagine not having ANY chickens since I grew up with them. If it isn't allowed I would probably keep them very well hidden xD

Good luck, Crazy4HensPiz, and keep us informed!

Oh the agony!
I'm down to 4 store bought eggs, and I can't stomach to buy(or even eat them) anymore.
I usually get my eggs from green bean delivery or the farmers markets, but it's not in my budget this month.
Anyone in Indy selling their eggs? I need 2 dz a week. Maybe near east side?

This is my Grand Daughters 17th Birthday cake. She raises pigs and chickens for FFA.
minmin ~ Adorable cake! Hope she pigged out on it.
lol.png

Btw, Your mystery white bird is a beauty!

Originally Posted by minmin1258
I'm going to have to call her a JG cross then because she and her identical twin sister are huge compared to my other birds. That is they are when they are fully feathered. They are in molt right now so are looking kinda puny compared to whats normal for them.

This gives me an opportunity to post of photo of my favorite Jersey Gigantic girl: (Bear with me people who are tired of seeing Jersey's photo)
big_smile.png

It seems to me like Australorps look more feminine than JGs.

Originally Posted by racinchickins
The ideal for JG's (and Java's) is yellow bottoms on the feet. The same goes with white on the bottoms for Australorps. So it could one or the other, but since the other two seem to be mixed breeds, I'd lean towards her being a mix also. If she stays the same size as the other chickens, call her an Australorp mix. If she gets really big, then I'd call her a JG mix.
smile.png
Either way, your getting eggs from her, which is more than I can say for most of my ungrateful flock of on strike she-heathens.

racin ~ Haha Sounds like my flock! I am lucky to get one egg every other day.
roll.png

I was on pet smarts website. And was looking at bird things, and found out they now sell chicken coops there
I believe lowes now sells them as well. Several years ago, Lowes bought a bankrupt company (that doesn't make sense to me!) called ATG Stores (www.atgstores.com) and have allowed us to get a lot of different things we never could prior. Come in to buy a new kitchen from me and I'll throw in a thong or giant elephant statue!

I live in the city of Fort Wayne, IN and I am trying to get a group together to approach the City Counsel about changing the laws. Fort Wayne currently allows zero livestock no questions, no restrictions, just none in city limits. I would greatly appreciate any feedback or guidance.
Thank you!

Welcome neighbor! I'm int he county south of you. I'm no help with changing ordinances, but hopefully the info mother2hens posted will help!

Last edited:
I'm getting hardly any eggs. Only my showgirl is laying pretty well now. Getting about 6 eggs a week from her. I used to get about 14 quail eggs a day, now I'm lucky to get one. I'm about ready to butcher them lol. Out of 25 hens, I'm getting about 3 a day. Man I hate winter!

I'm getting hardly any eggs. Only my showgirl is laying pretty well now. Getting about 6 eggs a week from her. I used to get about 14 quail eggs a day, now I'm lucky to get one. I'm about ready to butcher them lol. Out of 25 hens, I'm getting about 3 a day. Man I hate winter!
I sent a taunt out to racinchickins concerning egg production. If you ask him nicely, I'm sure he would share it with you.
tongue.png

John

Okay, we close on our new house on Monday.
big_smile.png
Then comes all the fun of moving 18 years worth of stuff.
barnie.gif

We will be moving our chicken's coop during the move. Does anyone have any advice about moving, stress, getting them use to their new land, etc. for the me about the chickens? I just thought I would ask before we move, so I know what to look forward to.

I am excited to move, but I am worried about stressing my girls out in the process.
D.gif

Thank you in advance for any help, tips, or advice you can share.

Back
Top Bottom